• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I just looked out of my kitchen window and saw something I have never seen before a black whitetail deer!
    I was making my coffe and out of the corner of my eye I saw something black moving through my back yard. I thought my neighbors dog got out. I took a better look and realized it was a black deer. It was a small doe that was light black in color. I moved to the sliding glass door to try and get a picture of it but it walked into the woods before I could get a picture of it.
    I hope it comes back so I can take a picture of it. Has anyone on here ever seen one in person?
    Should I contact DNR to let them know there is one in the area? I know they keep track of anomalys like this or would it be a waste of time?

jaybee

Ultimate Member

Attachments

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 791

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I have to admit it am pretty tempted to go get my bow and put an arrow in this deer.
    I legally have enough room to hunt on my property but, I don't because my neighbor has asked me not to kill the deer she loves looking at. She is a great neighbor and I don't want to start any problems. The deer is also fairly small so maybe it will get much bigger in the coming years of it dosent move to another area.
    On the other hand I doubt I will ever see a black deer again. If I did go out and bag it I feel like I would have to have it done as a full body taxidermy and I doubt the wife would want it in the house. Decisions decisions!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I commend you for not killing one of Mother Nature's interesting freaks, taking pictures of it, and posting them here.

Let it live. So others may enjoy it.

#BDM

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    We had an Albino buck in Oella for a year or two. He was really cool to see.

I've never seen a black deer but we have loads of black squirrels.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Next thing someone names the thing and if you kill it you end up in the newspaper. 'Cecilia the deer' ruthlessly murdered with primitive hunting implement.

Some guy shot an albino deer last year and you would have thought he had killed the last spotted Owl.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Would I shoot it for its color.. No. Would I shoot it for it is.. a deer... YES. Its food. The population needs to be controlled.. not controlling the population is cruel. Animals die of starvation or getting smooshed by a car. I as a hunter, help to control the population and fill my freezer with tasty meat.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Parttimer the Merciful!

I think you're right--good relationships with neighbors is more important than a single deer. Now, if you were going to keep hunting on your own property as is your natural right, I'd say make your special deer one of many!

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Would I shoot it for its color.. No. Would I shoot it for it is.. a deer... YES. Its food. The population needs to be controlled.. not controlling the population is cruel. Animals die of starvation or getting smooshed by a car. I as a hunter, help to control the population and fill my freezer with tasty meat.

It all comes down to whether or not you like dark meat.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    An article I read a while back said they are more rare than albino and on average only 5 are harvested across the US annually. Pretty awesome to see one though!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    About 5 yrs ago I was driving on Falls Rd and my Mom was with me.I looked over to her and thought I saw a black deer or a goat out in the field.I turned around and stopped along side the road.It was an adult doe that was completely black.We thought it was really cool to be watching it.

bushmann

Jun 29, 2016
    I'm looking to buy a whole male deer. I live in PG county. Any info/availability would be appreciated. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom