• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Out of the box its not so "lefty" friendly. But how many are there?

Then buy the left hand model.

I'm southpaw on long guns, I've shot Mdeng's and SCARCQB's as a lefty, and they have right-handed models.

*Although SCAR's is easier to deal with when he throws that AAC suppressor on, the ejection is not an issue at all with that excess gas pressure.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well, wait a second. The MSP has been telling people they're following the BATFE standard, and the BATFE has, for whatever reason, been telling people you can only count the muzzle device if it's permanently attached. Not sure I think this interpretation would hold up in court, but it's something to consider.

If this is the case, there are probably other rifles that will fail then. The only flash hiders that are pinned that I know of are on sub 16" barrels.

I have not checked, but does ATF require pinned for overall length? I know they do for barrel length.

OK, the ATF does not specify that for overall length.

The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion
    of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

They DO specify method of attachment for barrel length (underlining by the ATF):

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
    the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
    attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
    soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.
    Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
    into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
    furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
    measured.

Lostinbmore

Junior grade mop slopper
    Dec 19, 2012
    Baltimore
    I love mine, I am a lefty so it was nice to have a rifle that doesn't send not brass in my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    One of my favorite rifles I own and my go to for home defense. It fits and swings so perfectly. Everyone I let handle or shoot it is always extemely impressed with how it fits and almost becomes one with the shooter. With a 16.5" barrel, it's still shorter than most 10" sbr's. The gun also looks sweet. I can't imagine a better close quarters gun.

That said, trigger sucks and will affect your accuracy. Mine is about as accurate as my AK-47 at 100 yards. Does not compete accuracy wise with my colt ARs.

Will also need 100 rounds or so to break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timney and Geiselle are both coming out with triggers for the Tavor this spring. There is also a workaround to take the second spring off of the trigger assembly - you can see the video on You Tube. :party29:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Shooting a right hand Tavor Lefty is okay. use 5.56 ammo and it throws brass forward at 1 o clock position, weaker loaded 223 can sometimes still result in kissing hot brass.

As Bradmac indicated, a suppressor enhances blowback and helps throw brass like a hot 5.56

BTW...... My Eotech's bottom is full of caked up Soot from firing suppressed. not really sure why soot is getting deposited there. maybe the Tavor vents gas upwards towards the rails.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The Hebrew Hammer

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      117.7 KB · Views: 210

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Having finally shot mine a fair bit I think the Tavor is a vastly superior gun to both the AUG and the FS2000. Now I just need to save up some cash to buy some real optics for it.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You watch.

It won't be long until there's a bunch of TAVORS out there with sweet target triggers shooting 5.56, 300 Blackout and 9mm with owners crowing about a LONG list of cool options/switchouts…

…and kids coming up will say "Wait…Dad…you had a chance to buy one of these with the 16.5" barrel and you passed?"

Ouch….

Last edited:

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    If you're standing next to the Tavor's muzzle without a suppressor attached --- it has a very loud muzzle blast --- so much that you'll need ear muffs and ear plugs.

True. And lots of blowback.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    Love my Tavor. Duffy's has a regular supply of them with the longer muzzle device already attached.

BuRNMIA

May 28, 2013
    I should have picked one up before Oct 1st. I handled one at Duffy's and really liked it but the new OAL requierment puts a wrench in my decision to get one.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    It's actually not that bad if you get an 18" barrel..

For what it's worth, IWI had a MD-compliant Tavor at the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA (where the Tavor is made) over the weekend.

It had an 18" barrel and a longer muzzle device. It wasn't pinned/welded; I could unthread it by hand. This may not indicate final the production configuration, but that's how it was at their booth.

Don

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I think the pinned and welded fix is for making a barrel length 16", not an overall length fix. I believe an 18" Tavor with the proper length muzzle device is good to go as far as OAL without pinning or welding the muzzle device on, I could be wrong though. Either way my 40th birthday present to myself will be an 18" Tavor in Black unless they offer an OD green model!:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom