• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I also bought a Savage 220F last year, but did not have any success last year. I have killed a few deer with a Remington 870. The Savage is just much more accurate. Just remember to work the bolt action vigorously and it should be no problem.

Here is a photo of a pistol target shot at 100 yds. last year.

Last edited:

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for all the input. Going to purchase the 220 and have awhile to get some decent glass on it and find the rounds it likes best.

deercrazy82

Feb 20, 2012
    Riverdale, MD
    I think the H&R slug hunter is a good choice I got one couple years back and that thing is accurate and not to pricey. I have shot it out to about 15 yards and got some good groupings, when I bought it guy at the gun shop said his buddy took out deer around 200 yards with that gun.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I think the H&R slug hunter is a good choice I got one couple years back and that thing is accurate and not to pricey. I have shot it out to about 15 yards and got some good groupings, when I bought it guy at the gun shop said his buddy took out deer around 200 yards with that gun.

That's about the same I was getting with my Rossi. The furthest I have shot it is 150 yards with a range finder and walked off. I shot 6 times and had a 3" group at the 150 yard stick. Now, in reality when hunting, this gun never sees beyond 25 to 40 yards. I don't recall killing a Deer beyond 40 yards with it. So, the scope stays at 50 yards pin-point. I use my muzzleloaders for the longer shots.

AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    Revived!

Just picked up a Browning Abolt shotgun on clearance for $600. Took it out tonight and so far Im impressed.

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Quick question. Didnt; want to start another unecessary topic...

A friend gave me a 12 gauge 24 inch slugster barrel from his Mossy 500.
    Haven't shot it yet on mine.
    Will this be OK for bird and skeet or should I look for something else?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Alright, somebody mentioned that you only get one shot on deer anyway. I have no idea where that comes from. I killed 3 out of a group of 15 with my Ruger 77MKII .300 Win Mag. I have killed multiple deer out of groups with my slug guns on many occasions.

My slug guns are essentially wing shooting guns that I convert to slug guns. The first one I converted was a Browning BPS. I put a Hastings fully rifled barrel on it with a cantilever scope mount and a Burris Fullfield 3-9x scope. Then, after getting beat up by that gun, I decided to get a conversion barrel for my Benelli SBE. I had already put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock, but decided to buy another for the magazine cap too. Bought a fully rifled ER Shaw barrel and have killed tons of deer with that gun. It is one of the smoothest shooting slug guns I have shot and I can put 25+ rounds through it on the bench and not leave with a headache or tooth ache. Killed 8 deer with it one morning several years ago, and several doubles and triples too. Top portion of the receiver on the SBE is attached to the barrel, so the scope mounts directly to that receiver and comes right off with the barrel when I want to put a smoothbore barrel on it.

There are plenty of slug gun only guns out there, and plenty of options out there to convert a smoothbore to a slug gun. You just need to figure out what you want.
    I keep thinking about doing this for my Benelli. You are right, at 135 yards you can fire your gun and the deer won't necessarily go running off, giving you the chance to shoot more than one.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "A friend gave me a 12 gauge 24 inch slugster barrel from his Mossy 500.
    Haven't shot it yet on mine.
    Will this be OK for bird and skeet or should I look for something else?"

That slugster barrel is fully rifled. It will not shoot shot charges well at all. The centrifugal force from the spinning charge throws the shot out in a large circle. It will cause misses on mansized targets as close as 15 yards. For clay birds, forget it. I have both a rifled and smoothbore 24" sight barrels. With slugs there is no contest, Slugster wins, holes touch at 50 yards using the irons. But the smoothbore barrel still shoots good groups out to 85 yards. And both are ported.

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Magnumite,
    Thanks! Guess i have a new hobby...I may have to try my hand at some large game now...
    :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom