• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Been looking to switch up current slug gun for deer as have been shooting smooth bore. The Savage 220 is where I am leaning but little worried of the drop down to 20 gauge. I know this is enough for some of the shorter shots but the prop I hunt can have shots that are out to 125-170 yards. I have never taken them due to my setup but would like to.

Any thoughts ? Should I seek out the 12 gauge version ?

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I have the Savage 220F and it will shoot and down deer at those distances no problem.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for the input. Guess just the drop from round I use for all firearm hunting worries me a bit. But in my head makes sense.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Last "Youth Hunter Days", my son and I saw a very nice buck that had been taken with a 20 ga slug gun.
    The young lad's Dad said that the shot was about 175 yards. One shot. The 8 pt. dropped where he stood.

That 20 gauge impressed the heck out of me!!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I own a Rossi 20 Gauge Slug Gun and a few other fellas have bought them since they shot mine. This is one basic, but, deadly accurate and consistent gun. It quickly made its way to the top of my most valuable possessions. I would not trade gun for anything. It's like my #1 now. I bought mine from Fred's in Waldorf about 4 years ago for $169.00 The best $169.00 I have ever spent.

S201230S.jpg

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Been looking to switch up current slug gun for deer as have been shooting smooth bore. The Savage 220 is where I am leaning but little worried of the drop down to 20 gauge. I know this is enough for some of the shorter shots but the prop I hunt can have shots that are out to 125-170 yards. I have never taken them due to my setup but would like to.

Any thoughts ? Should I seek out the 12 gauge version ?

On the top of my shopping list when I am able to hunt again.

I have shot this gun and it is one hell of an accurate gun. I would hunt with this gun for anything in the lower 48 states.

I say go for it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I also have to add. I don't care for plastic stocks. They are not balanced well and recoil is a bit harder than a hardwood stock. The ammo capacity of 2 is sort useless in my opinion. You only get one shot on a Deer anyway. The price of the Savage is a waaaaay bit too high for a single shot 20 gauge slug gun. I have a buddy who has 3 capacity 12 gauge and all he does is fight that stupid gun trying to get the next shotshell to load from the mag. Silliest thing I've ever seen. I asked if he was planning to kill something or just fight with the guns bolt all day. Breech break single shot for under $200.00 and if it rusts who cares. That's why I bought my little Rossi. Now I take better care of the little fella than the rest of my more expensive guns. Plain. Simple. Accurate. Drilled and tape for a scope and eats rifled slugs all day long too.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, somebody mentioned that you only get one shot on deer anyway. I have no idea where that comes from. I killed 3 out of a group of 15 with my Ruger 77MKII .300 Win Mag. I have killed multiple deer out of groups with my slug guns on many occasions.

My slug guns are essentially wing shooting guns that I convert to slug guns. The first one I converted was a Browning BPS. I put a Hastings fully rifled barrel on it with a cantilever scope mount and a Burris Fullfield 3-9x scope. Then, after getting beat up by that gun, I decided to get a conversion barrel for my Benelli SBE. I had already put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock, but decided to buy another for the magazine cap too. Bought a fully rifled ER Shaw barrel and have killed tons of deer with that gun. It is one of the smoothest shooting slug guns I have shot and I can put 25+ rounds through it on the bench and not leave with a headache or tooth ache. Killed 8 deer with it one morning several years ago, and several doubles and triples too. Top portion of the receiver on the SBE is attached to the barrel, so the scope mounts directly to that receiver and comes right off with the barrel when I want to put a smoothbore barrel on it.

There are plenty of slug gun only guns out there, and plenty of options out there to convert a smoothbore to a slug gun. You just need to figure out what you want.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    The 220F works with no problems. With 2 3/4 accutips we were putting the rounds through the same hole. Rifle accurate.

Attachments

• 10point.jpg
      10point.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 315

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Is that a bolt action slug shell gun???

Yep. A couple of companies make them nowadays specifically for deer hunting. There are a lot of areas that are shotgun only, and this is a good niche for some of the gun manufacturers.

Personally, I don't think it really matters too much between a bolt, pump, or semi-auto action out to 150 yards. My semi-auto and pump do pretty good out to 150 yards. Just about finding the ammo that they like, or rolling your own till you find the right combo.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I know Mossberg made a Bolt shotgun (Model 695) that has a rifled and ported barrel. It's an excellent slug gun, but not as good as an old Ithaca 37 DSPS IMO.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I know Mossberg made a Bolt shotgun (Model 695) that has a rifled and ported barrel. It's an excellent slug gun, but not as good as an old Ithaca 37 DSPS IMO.

Nice accurate gun ( when you could get parts for them ) Now they are just paperweights if the firing pin is suffering from the common issues these guns have. Instead of a slug shotgun just buy a nice Muzzleloader and use it for both seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom