• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've tried many different TD pins and I've decided these are the best out there. I've used them on my last three builds.

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/products/red-line/si-ar-ul-eptp.html

Good to know I’ve been eyeballing those for a bit in a bid to shave another few fractions of an ounce (grams add up to ounces, ounces add up to pounds. Mixing metric and imperial leads to crashed mars probes).

To the OP...what’s wrong? Maybe I haven’t tried enough uppers or I’ve jist had a lot of luck. All of my lowers and uppers I can push both pins out by hand without needing a bullet or tools. The front can be hard to remove if I unhinge the rear first, but easy if I either don’t or can rest the gun in my lap to take out the pin (and take the stress off the pin while unhinging).

You want to see hard, try a GWACS CAV-15 lower the first few times. Maybe you could do it with a bullet, I haven’t tried. I’ve had to use a punch AND a hammer the first few times to get the rear started. The polymer lower wears in over time so it can be removed with a bullet at least.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    To the OP...what’s wrong? Maybe I haven’t tried enough uppers or I’ve jist had a lot of luck. All of my lowers and uppers I can push both pins out by hand without needing a bullet or tools. The front can be hard to remove if I unhinge the rear first, but easy if I either don’t or can rest the gun in my lap to take out the pin (and take the stress off the pin while unhinging).

My experience as well for all my rifles. Never once has it been "hard" to take the pins out. My Stag was probably the tightest. But even those could be popped out by hand, just took a bit of effort.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My last two builds done yesterday, had some issues with the takedown pins that required about 5 minutes with a file and sandpaper. When the detent pins would seat in either position, too much force was required to move them. There are small holes drilled into each end of the takedown pin's guide channel. The edges of those holes had burrs that were binding the detent pins and leaving visible marks.
    Once I removed the burrs and reinstalled them, they worked perfectly. This problem was encountered on pins from two different manufacturers and sellers but were purchased about the same time. One kit was considerably nicer but the takedown pins looked identical. Perhaps a batch of takedown pins lacking in quality have gotten into the parts kits.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I guess nothing is wrong, but just figured maybe there would be a system allowing for reliability with increased ease of disassembling

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I guess nothing is wrong, but just figured maybe there would be a system allowing for reliability with increased ease of disassembling

You are pressing from the off side first right? Sometimes it takes a jab with your knuckle to get things started.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. In the absolute sense , there isn't much room for meaningful improvements. Is 5 sec field stripping real world important vs 10-15 sec field stripping ?

2. While maintaining full backwards compatibility, the KNS QD pins are about as good as you can get .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom