• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    A friend of mine has a 100yard range in his back yard but wants to expand it. He thinks he has room to push it out to 200+ yards if he cuts down a hill and moves the dirt back to rebuild the berm. He also wants to add a spot to practice for 3 gun action shooting.

I know it's a long shot but, I told him I would post it on here and see if anyone was interested. He does not have the money to have an excavating company come and do the work. He is willing to help out and would obviously let you use his range in exchange for the earth moving. He would also pay for fuel. He has a tractor with a bucket and access to a skid steer but it would take forever without larger equiptment.

Thank you for looking at this post

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Before he starts moving hills, he should probably look into what permits it takes to do grading. An acquaintance caught a 60k fine for some unpermitted grading work, another one had to restore a 'wetland' after he filled in some low spots in a runway and a neighbor called the soil nazis on him

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Good call! I doubt he has looked into that yet.
    Thank you

I believe 100 yards is the threshold that needs a permit, that's about 10 dump trucks. His counties planning department should have the info on their website. The moment you need a permit, things get expensive in a hurry with a engineered silt management plan, silt fencing, temporary settling ponds etc.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Another critical aspect is drainage. Imagine a hurricane dumping 10" of rain in 24 hours. Be sure that the plan includes a safe path for the water that won't flood anybody's critical areas (like their house) :lol2:

Back in the day, probably 50 years ago, I shot on a private range that collected water. Looked innocent enough and dry on the surface, but when I went down to hang targets, I sank up to my knees and had to get help to escape.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I believe 100 yards is the threshold that needs a permit, that's about 10 dump trucks. His counties planning department should have the info on their website. The moment you need a permit, things get expensive in a hurry with a engineered silt management plan, silt fencing, temporary settling ponds etc.

Very true, It mainly depends on how your friends property is zoned. If it is zoned Ag he very well may not need a permit for clearing. If he does need one it would probably quickly become more onerous and expensive than it's worth. You know they old saying once you get the government involved you can't get them out; with zoning and inspections nothing could be more accurate.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Very true, It mainly depends on how your friends property is zoned. If it is zoned Ag he very well may not need a permit for clearing.

Cutting trees is the easy part and you dont need a permit if you stay within certain limits (depending on locality, 1-3 acres per year). The moment you start grubbing or moving soil things get really nutty in this state, and god forbid you fill in a ravine.....

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a skid steer and a JD710 4wd loader backhoe in Calvert once permits are in hand .

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    2 issues i remember from my time in the civil field

1. any disturbance over 5000sf requires a sediment/erosion control plan
    2. maryland forest conservation law - you cant just cut down trees ya know

talk to a surveyor before doing too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads