• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yugoM57

Jul 9, 2015
    hello.please tell me if this ammo for tokarev is good enough for protection or self defense.And if the expansion is good.

thanks

bay

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I have some of this jhp ammo - under the Wolf Gold label - but have yet to test it. But my experience with PPU has been all positive to date.

I would think the little 85gr jhp slug at +1400 fps should be pretty nasty.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I have some of this jhp ammo - under the Wolf Gold label - but have yet to test it. But my experience with PPU has been all positive to date.

I would think the little 85gr jhp slug at 1700 fps should be pretty nasty.

I have been shooting the Wolf Gold JHP and have had zero feed issues out of my various tok's (Yugo, Romanian, Polish, and PPS-43.) I haven't done any expansion or gel tests, so I don't know how well it performs for expansion. But zero issues with feeding or reliability.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Here's one report I found:

Serbian-made Prvi Partisan JHP load is economical enough to be use for carry and occasional practice.

This ammunition proved extremely consistent, with measured velocity always in the 1403-1408fps, even in different weather. It’s behavior in gelatin has been quite consistent as well, with 16″ of straight line penetration and reliable expansion to .45 caliber. For comparison, 45ACP Winchester Ranger SXT also penetrates 16″, though expanding to .90 caliber in the meantime. So we can estimate wound channel of 7.62×25 to be similar to that of 45ACP ball, but with penetration limited to that of hollow point bullets. The smaller, faster bullet produces greater temporary stretch cavity due to the higher impact velocity.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Anyone find this ammo in stock somewhere? I found two places that will allow backorder but nothing in stock.

I want to shoot it in a few vests to see how it does...just curious.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Anyone find this ammo in stock somewhere? I found two places that will allow backorder but nothing in stock.

I want to shoot it in a few vests to see how it does...just curious.

I checked my usual sources, right now I'm not seeing JHP available. It seems like they make a batch of JHP once a quarter.

Here is a link that gives you an easy way to track availability.
    http://www.wikiarms.com/search?q=jhp&caliber=33

Last edited:

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I will trade you some of mine if you want something to test with.

That would be great. I have surplus, I think Bulgarian....

Don't need to much but I have several different threat level vests I use for testing.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    PM sent.

It would be good to test surplus (usually a hotter round), commercial FMJ, and the commercial JHP.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    PM sent.

It would be good to test surplus (usually a hotter round), commercial FMJ, and the commercial JHP.

I have run several surplus rounds (Czech, Bulgarian and Russian) and all easily pass through the vests I have. IIIA I think. The vests stopped the Mak, std 9mm, etc. without any issues.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    We did a kevlar panel test and one of the guns used was a Tok. The Tok and a 9mm Largo couldnt touch this stuff.

[YT]eCrJ-KLm16Y[/YT]

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    We did a kevlar panel test and one of the guns used was a Tok. The Tok and a 9mm Largo couldnt touch this stuff.

[YT]eCrJ-KLm16Y[/YT]

I will watch the video when I get home but the armor I was shooting is true LEO worn armor. Soft body armor. Yours looks like a hardened pressed panel of sorts? Again I will check the threat level when I get home but I think the highest level I shot and penetrated was IIIA. I think a Safariland Gold I believe. Of course, I kept all the panels marking each hit with round and distance information as well.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I will watch the video when I get home but the armor I was shooting is true LEO worn armor. Soft body armor. Yours looks like a hardened pressed panel of sorts? Again I will check the threat level when I get home but I think the highest level I shot and penetrated was IIIA. I think a Safariland Gold I believe. Of course, I kept all the panels marking each hit with round and distance information as well.

Correct. They are 1/2" thick panels used for a safe room. I thought for sure the Tok and Largo would punch through but they did not.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Correct. They are 1/2" thick panels used for a safe room. I thought for sure the Tok and Largo would punch through but they did not.

That clearly sounds like level III panels. Not std. soft body armor stuff. I have III I wear for work which will stop an M80 round.

I hope you kept some of that stuff to put into a carrier. :)

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    That clearly sounds like level III panels. Not std. soft body armor stuff. I have III I wear for work which will stop an M80 round.

I hope you kept some of that stuff to put into a carrier. :)

I dont rememebe what level it is bit i say in the begining of the video what it is.

I actually have a lot left over. We're going to do a part 2 of the video and i still need to karma off a few panels as i promised earlier.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I dont rememebe what level it is bit i say in the begining of the video what it is.

I actually have a lot left over. We're going to do a part 2 of the video and i still need to karma off a few panels as i promised earlier.

Well..I would certainly grab a nice carrier and custom cut some panels to fit. Add a couple side (not sure if you can curve them a bit or not) panels too and you are in business for a fraction of the cost of a true III vest and panels.

I want to give some of the JHP tok ammo a go just out of curiosity on my vests..hence my interest in grabbing a few rounds for testing. I look forward to watching the videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom