• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I know it's over budget and a fixed 10x but what about the US Optics ST-10 MIL/MIL EREK ERGO ILLUMINATED?

I also found a Bushnell HDMR for $1500

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I own two, soon to be three, USOs. They are rock solid, literally the toughest scopes in the industry, with great customer service. Glass quality is not to S&B standards, but its right below it. EREK is a brilliant option, especially if you plan to shoot long-range tactical matches (or are shooting a 20" 308 that needs a ton of elevation to get out to 500 :o). If you have even been lost on your el. turret, either a turn high or low, you will value the EREK. ERGO is OK; its a bit of a pain to adjust compared to center turrets. Illuminated is nice but not necessary - I have turned on my illumination maybe two or three times in the couple years I have owned them. If you are looking to save a buck or two, illumination is the spot to do it. USO has more reticle choices than anyone in the industry - in Mils, I like the Premier Gen II Mil-dot, which USO will put in there for something like $50 extra. Make sure to call USO and ask about reticles choices, as they have many more than their website lists.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12 tactical (Midway sale) $549

I would probably get this out of the group and I think it is FFP too.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Anyone with info on the new Bushnell HDMR with GAP reticle (other than what's on SH)?

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I can get the HDMR w/GAP reticle for $1250. I also found CS has the US Optics CST-ST10S for $1246.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    OK, my budget (much like my waistline) has expanded! I'm now looking at $850-1K. What are your thoughts on a used Mk IV M3?

Horis 3-21 HDMR $849 + the ride. 34mm tube. Japanese Glass. H58 reticle.

Budget??

$199 10x Bushnell mil/mil http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=950843
    $249 4-14 BSA (I Know!) I haven't had it on the rifle yet, but the glass is pretty damn nice! http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=456482

Seriously, on the BSA, I was shocked how the glass was nearly as clear as my HDMR. Will it hold 0? I don't know. I will once I get it on a rifle.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    So, I didn't want to start an entirely new thread and this is very similar to my needs....
    I've got a 400-700ish budget and I've been looking at optics, but. I know nothing about them.

I'm looking at a leupold vx-ii. It's a 4-12x. What gets me is the diameter. What am I looking for? Whats the difference between a 30mm and a 50mm?

Also, whats adjustable objective mean?

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Also thinking about a NIB USO SN-3 1.8-10x37 T-pal EREK mil/mil with Green illuminated (11 position rheostat) GAP reticle that a guy is offering in trade. Since I won't have access to anything over 300 yards in the foreseeable future, do you think the USO 10x would be sufficient?

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Also thinking about a NIB USO SN-3 1.8-10x37 T-pal EREK mil/mil with Green illuminated (11 position rheostat) GAP reticle that a guy is offering in trade. Since I won't have access to anything over 300 yards in the foreseeable future, do you think the USO 10x would be sufficient?

I own that scope although its not T-pal nor EREK, nor GAP reticle.
    If your question is it sufficient to 300yds, I would ask you what size target are you trying to hit? I have had the scope out at 1000yds and was getting good hits on an F-class target. I have had the scope out at 900+yds on 20" steel plates and it was getting hits no problem. Rifle is 5.56mmNATO on AR-15 SPR, with some nasty hand-load specials (70gr and 77gr bullets). The USO is an outstanding tactical scope, but if you are trying to hit wings off flies at 300yds, you will need more horsepower.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    I own that scope although its not T-pal nor EREK, nor GAP reticle.
    If your question is it sufficient to 300yds, I would ask you what size target are you trying to hit? I have had the scope out at 1000yds and was getting good hits on an F-class target. I have had the scope out at 900+yds on 20" steel plates and it was getting hits no problem. Rifle is 5.56mmNATO on AR-15 SPR, with some nasty hand-load specials (70gr and 77gr bullets). The USO is an outstanding tactical scope, but if you are trying to hit wings off flies at 300yds, you will need more horsepower.

Thanks James,
    Ideally, if I ever get to stretch it's legs, I would want to shoot steel plates (not that I know of anywhere I can do that :sad20: ), and from 300 on in, shooting for small groups.

As an aside, do they shoot steel at Quantico? That's the closest long range club that I know of.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Thanks James,
    Ideally, if I ever get to stretch it's legs, I would want to shoot steel plates (not that I know of anywhere I can do that :sad20: ), and from 300 on in, shooting for small groups.

As an aside, do they shoot steel at Quantico? That's the closest long range club that I know of.

Well the 10x on the USO will have no problem hitting steel, all the way out to 1200yds or so, if its >2moa size or so. It is not the ideal scope for shooting small groups at 300 and in. If small groups at that range is your goal, get something around 20x min, unless you have kick ass eyes.

Yes, they shoot steel at MCBQ, on range 4, but not on range 1, the range that is most often open.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Well the 10x on the USO will have no problem hitting steel, all the way out to 1200yds or so, if its >2moa size or so. It is not the ideal scope for shooting small groups at 300 and in. If small groups at that range is your goal, get something around 20x min, unless you have kick ass eyes.

Yes, they shoot steel at MCBQ, on range 4, but not on range 1, the range that is most often open.

Heh, eyes aren't exactly "kick ass" anymore :sad20:. Now, I've seen that the USO ST10 series are available in my price range. Other than not being a variable, are they any better or worse than the 1.8-10X? I'm not up on the heirarchy of the USO lines. I also found a Leupold FFP Mk4 mil/mil M5 dial 6.5-20 for $1500. I've heard not so flattering things about Leupold's current glass. Would you still consider somehting like this, or stick to other brands?

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    All of the USO optics use the exact same scope technology, so there is no difference in optical quality between any of the products they sell (given the same sized objective lens and beyond the different range of magnifications available and perhaps a very small negative impact from the TPAL system). So at 10x on the 1.8-10x, it will look exactly the same as the ST10 if they are both the same objective len size (mine is 37mm and that is a great size for this mag range -- much lower profile than the 44mm).

I have a friend with a Leupy Mk4 and it is a great scope. I would buy one, although perhaps not for $1500. At that price point, I would probably be looking at a NF, unless I really really wanted FFP.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    All of the USO optics use the exact same scope technology, so there is no difference in optical quality between any of the products they sell (given the same sized objective lens and beyond the different range of magnifications available and perhaps a very small negative impact from the TPAL system). So at 10x on the 1.8-10x, it will look exactly the same as the ST10 if they are both the same objective len size (mine is 37mm and that is a great size for this mag range -- much lower profile than the 44mm).

I have a friend with a Leupy Mk4 and it is a great scope. I would buy one, although perhaps not for $1500. At that price point, I would probably be looking at a NF, unless I really really wanted FFP.

Thanks again,
    I found a NXS 5.5-22x50 w/NP reticle NF rings for $1500. Now, it's used, but (according to the seller) barely. How good is NF CS? Will they honor anything for a second owner? How is the NP-R1 reticle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom