• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok,
    So I pretty much have decided on the FN SPR (just have to work out a way to pay for one :lol2:). Now, onto glass. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I had a Leupold VariX III 3.5-10x L/R M3 scope. It was nice. Previously I had a SS 10x on my PSSs.
    Now, it seems that in the past six or seven years, optics have gotten better and more affordable. Over on SH the general consensus is that I can now get a scope that is better and cheaper than the M3 I had. I'd like to stick to a $500-$600 budget. So, I was thinking of the following...

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 tactical $639
    Vortex PST 2.5-10 $599
    Sightron SIII 10x42 $549
    Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12 tactical (Midway sale) $549
    SWFA Group buy SS 10x42 HD $799
    (includes Seekins rings, Kill flash, sunshade,
    mildot master, and butler creeks)

Thoughts?

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    I liked my old SS 10x42M. From what I've read, SWFA has since improved the quality on the SS line.

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    I like my Millett TRS-1, great bang for the buck. Warranty is lifetime and done by Bushnell.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    I want to stick with a 30mm tube. I was surprised to see that Weaver gets good reviews too.

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    I want to stick with a 30mm tube. I was surprised to see that Weaver gets good reviews too.

The Millett has a 30mm tube. On my AR in .223 and Rem 700 in .308 it has walked the box just fine and returns to zero. Taking it off the rifle then remounting it (Picatinny rail) it's within 1 click when remounted. Midway often has them on sale for $299.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    From whats mentioned I like
    SWFA
    Leupold
    Weaver
    Nikon

Burris is a crap opitic imho. Bad customer service too.

Vortex, Millett, and Bushnell are ......meh

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    OK, my budget (much like my waistline) has expanded! I'm now looking at $850-1K. What are your thoughts on a used Mk IV M3?

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I've been looking for some glass to put on my 18" LaRue Stealth upper. So I started checking your links and found the SWFA SS 3-9x42 package that looks hard to beat for my purposes. Tons of positive reviews. Includes Bobro mount and other accessories.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    SWFA is putting out some awesome glass. Can't wait to get my hands on their new HD FFP scope. Plus, their customer service rocks! Case in point: I blew out my windage knob when training with one of our industry partners. Called them immediately and they had a replacement in the mail that day w/out me even having to send mine in first.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    OK, my budget (much like my waistline) has expanded! I'm now looking at $850-1K. What are your thoughts on a used Mk IV M3?

Good scope. You might want to consider saving another few hundred and get a Nightforce. A quality piece of glass lasts a life-time, unlike most things firearms. You will enjoy it every time you look thru it. I would go cheaper on the rifle before I went cheap on glass and/or ammo.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Good scope. You might want to consider saving another few hundred and get a Nightforce. A quality piece of glass lasts a life-time, unlike most things firearms. You will enjoy it every time you look thru it. I would go cheaper on the rifle before I went cheap on glass and/or ammo.

just like buying a high end sound systems, then speakers on the cheap..;)

SWFA.. Leupold, Nightforce, US Optics, and S&B. Spend a little more, it will be well worth it. I'm sold on S&B but hey, had the chance to look through one, and use it...sold..NF & USO are good too..just an opinion...

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom