• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No problem. I'm wanting it to look more like my police 870's, (or the all black Maverick 88) as far as barrel/mag tube lengths.

Here is the 8 round extension, compared to the 20" barrel.

3" difference, so the 7 round one should be perfect.

I put the stock on, but want to wait until the extension is on first, before adding those pics.

Sweeeeeeeet!!!

My son just picked up an 870 w/ magazine extension, and it's about an inch longer than the 18-1/2" barrel. He's not concerned about that, at all.
    (Even though I have a couple of Scattergun Technologies and a Remington +2 extension in my cabinet.)

He found the 870 after he bought the "Boss Hog".
    He found it. I was going to buy it (I had the $$$ in my pocket - he didn't), but, I wound up loaning him the funds.

I need to measure the distance(s) between any pins in the receiver, and find him a shellholder that'll work.

The 7 round extension on that scattergun should be perfect!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I got one of those extensions years ago. Didn't realize when I bought it that the indents on a stock 870 tube would prevent it from working.

In the end I decided not to mess with drilling or grinding on my Wingmaster or SPS Super Magnum Turkey Camo. Now looking for a (relatively) cheap 870 Express to turn into a tactical shotgun. Bought an 18.5" Carlson barrel with rifle sights threaded for rem chokes on ebay to use on it when I find one.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I got one of those extensions years ago. Didn't realize when I bought it that the indents on a stock 870 tube would prevent it from working.

In the end I decided not to mess with drilling or grinding on my Wingmaster or SPS Super Magnum Turkey Camo. Now looking for a (relatively) cheap 870 Express to turn into a tactical shotgun. Bought an 18.5" Carlson barrel with rifle sights threaded for rem chokes on ebay to use on it when I find one.

Buy one of the plugs you hammer into the extension off ebay. I did that to my 870 and it's like the dimples never existed. Much cleaner than drilling.

This is what I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGAZINE-T...-/123855635833?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    May be a bit late and this is advertised for Rems, but it may work.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...etent-swage-remington-12-gauge-prod75328.aspx

In the end I decided not to mess with drilling or grinding on my Wingmaster

That's odd.
    The Carlson extensions on my Wingmaster and Police Magnum, pictured above, did not have any dimples preventing them from doing what they were designed to do.

Is it only the newer 870's that have the dimples?

My 870 PM is a 1995, and the 870 WM is a 1972 model.

As for the OP...
    The Turkish Citadel Warthog (or Boss Hog as some call it) that I am modifying, has a "roll crimp" (Thanks Biggfoot44) which means the entire end of the mag tube is basically "rolled over" to prevent the plastic sleeve and mag tube spring in place. That (the crimp) is what I removed with a carbide bit and sandpaper roll.

To cut the original mag tube down in order to eliminate the crimp, like the video suggests, easily causes the loss of 2-3 threads. There is only 5-7 threads to start with, when the forend is in place. This is why I chose to remove the "crimp", from the inside.

This way, the length, and threads, are 100% the same as they were to begin with.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Yeah I wouldn't do this mod to any nice Remingtons you have. It is easy to do and the only down side is that the spring retention plug will pop out when you remove the cap, not the biggest issue in the world but might hurt resale if they look for it. I used a Dremel to grind and then polished the inside worked great and no cosmetic issues.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    That's odd.
    The Carlson extensions on my Wingmaster and Police Magnum, pictured above, did not have any dimples preventing them from doing what they were designed to do.

Is it only the newer 870's that have the dimples?

My 870 PM is a 1995, and the 870 WM is a 1972 model.

As for the OP...
    The Turkish Citadel Warthog (or Boss Hog as some call it) that I am modifying, has a "roll crimp" (Thanks Biggfoot44) which means the entire end of the mag tube is basically "rolled over" to prevent the plastic sleeve and mag tube spring in place. That (the crimp) is what I removed with a carbide bit and sandpaper roll.

To cut the original mag tube down in order to eliminate the crimp, like the video suggests, easily causes the loss of 2-3 threads. There is only 5-7 threads to start with, when the forend is in place. This is why I chose to remove the "crimp", from the inside.

This way, the length, and threads, are 100% the same as they were to begin with.

I own/have owned several 870(s) over the years.
    My beloved wife bought me a Wingmaster for Christmas, in '88, and it doesn't have 'the dimples'.
    The original 'Express', called "Sportsman 12" that I had, didn't have 'the dimples', either. Like a fool, I sold that to a good friend. It was a fantastic scattergun. He still has it.

The first 870 that I removed 'the dimples' on, is an Express model that I bought and gifted to my oldest daughter, when she moved into her first house.
    I had read several articles and read on several forums, that using a deep socket (don't remember which size) driven carefully into the magazine tube, can swage out 'the dimples'.
    Darned near ruined that mag tube, doing that.
    I wound up drilling the dimples out, and touched up the holes with cold blue.
    I don't give a crap about re-sale. It's my daughter's shotgun, now. :)
    Knoxx SpecOps stock w/"PowerPak" shellholder. Remington +2 extension. Sidesaddle shellholder added.
    She's got a nice HD scattergun, and knows how to use it.

Yeah I wouldn't do this mod to any nice Remingtons you have. It is easy to do and the only down side is that the spring retention plug will pop out when you remove the cap, not the biggest issue in the world but might hurt resale if they look for it. I used a Dremel to grind and then polished the inside worked great and no cosmetic issues.

Back when I bought the Express for my daughter, I contacted Remington, and bought several of the spring steel magazine spring retainers that they previously used.
    Midway USA had a quantity recently, and I got a couple for 20 ga (now discontinued, per Midway USA).

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks!

Still planning on getting an 870 Express (don't want a side saddle or extension tube on my hunting shotguns), but I will get one of these swag tools if it has the dinples.

I didn't drill mine because it didn't want to have holes in the tube. A Dremel and a little patience did the job and the outside looks the same.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Sweeeeeeeet!!!

My son just picked up an 870 w/ magazine extension, and it's about an inch longer than the 18-1/2" barrel. He's not concerned about that, at all.
    (Even though I have a couple of Scattergun Technologies and a Remington +2 extension in my cabinet.)

He found the 870 after he bought the "Boss Hog".
    He found it. I was going to buy it (I had the $$$ in my pocket - he didn't), but, I wound up loaning him the funds.

I need to measure the distance(s) between any pins in the receiver, and find him a shellholder that'll work.

The 7 round extension on that scattergun should be perfect!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey there. I made a little "project" thread on the Citadel, if you want to check it out.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=255135

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom