What gun projects did you abandon or will never finish?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    True, right now waiting for all this to die down before jumping into another caliber I have to stock. 6mm Arc does look like a cool round from the cursory info I have seen on it. Really did like the way this build was coming together until being stopped, but hey have a pile of some really good parts if ever need them !

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Bought a beat up Marlin 39A just for the action,
    Bought a NOS octagonal short barrel off Numrich.
    Planned on rebuilding the action, pairing the Oct short barrel and fitting a "Coyote" colored laminated stock set from boyds, and topping with a quality "Rimfire Scope"

Have yet to even think about starting.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    So many projects.

Bought a couple of K98k rifles (Russian Capture) with intention of using the 'peened' rifle for a build. Either '06 or .338 Federal. Possibly .338 WinMag or .300 WinMag.
    They're all still in the safe, untouched.

Ruger 10/22 w/ birch stock. Bought a bull barrel, Boyd's thumbhole stock, picatinny rail mount, nice scope. Parts still sitting on the shelf, and the un-fired 10/22 is in the safe.

Bought a Marlin 1895CB, NIB, in '01. HAD to have it. Love octagonal barrels. Still un-fired. Sitting in the safe.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I still also have several AR15 kits and receiver that need to be put together. I also have a few new uppers never taken out of box. 5.56, 458SOCOM and 7.62x39. Also a few 80% lowers never done

Jiberwocky

Jun 4, 2019
    Baltimore
    Picked up a heavily sporterized, extremely grimy No.4 Mk1 for a bit over $100, figuring I'd slowly restore it and mock it up like a platypus No.4 Mk1 (T) / L42A1. Got a cheek riser and most of the other parts the same week, new furniture where needed, stain, everything, and I've spent the three years since learning that I'm never actually going to sit down and do it.

Maybe I'll do it as a learning project with my girlfriend if we ever escape college.

dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    Bubba'd the hell out of a Mosin Nagant. Counter bored the barrel, then cut it. Tapped and mounted a scope. Put a Monte Carlo stock on it. Tried the soda can shim trigger job. Had the bolt turned down. It is now laying in parts. I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

You interested in getting rid of it? I'd love to mess around with something like that. Feel free to dm!

gun_nut

Dec 9, 2018
    For me it was a 300BO SBR. Kept dragging my feet because I didn't want another caliber then ammo prices did what they did. I don't think I am missing anything though.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I have a Damascus-bbl shotgun that needs a bulge fixed and the action tightened up. It's an easy send-away fix, but I've yet to get up the gumption to do so.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    My budget precision 22lr project. And it’s not really that I’ve abandon it, I just haven’t worked on it for a long time.

The premise is building up a sub moa rifle with relatively inexpensive parts. I got a wood stock to start and I was in the process of glass bedding it. I also fed hundreds of off the shelf rounds to see what it liked the best and I took apart a bunch of rounds to see what was the most consistent in powder charge and bullet weight.

I need to get back to the range with it and figure out a good glass option for it.

The final step is figuring out if a match grade barrel can go on it but that is away down the list.

flhspete

Feb 20, 2021
    truth be told, none! actually during covid time out, i added some things i thought i'd never get to. two items come to mind. Reloading additional firearms and competing with revolver. I already compete in several disciplines. it takes practice time and reloading time. so working in another firearm takes time. Besides all the other things ongoing in life.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I got a Berretta Model 1934 using my C&R license. It's pretty typical and the bluing is about what you would expect, so I decided I would refinish it with Duracoat DuraBlue, which looks like gun bluing. Got the DuraBlue but never did use it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got a Berretta Model 1934 using my C&R license. It's pretty typical and the bluing is about what you would expect, so I decided I would refinish it with Duracoat DuraBlue, which looks like gun bluing. Got the DuraBlue but never did use it.

Is it WW2 dated? unless it’s rusty and pitted the WW2 stuff is jacked up in price right now when advertised as such but duracoating it would kill the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is it WW2 dated? unless it’s rusty and pitted the WW2 stuff is jacked up in price right now when advertised as such but duracoating it would kill the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - that's the main reason I decided against it.
    EDIT - Laziness is part of the equation as well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a Marlin model 20 pump that is missing a firing pin and I think another part. Had plans to fabricate them myself If I could not find the right parts which I seem to not be able to.
    I still need to hook up with another forum member who I know has one and get some pictures and measurements of the missing parts.
    Just not sure if I will get to it with all the other gun "projects' going on while still finding time to actually shoot them.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I've got a Swedish Mauser partially "sporterized" with the barrel cut down so no front site just crying to have the barrel crowned, the bolt bent, and a scope mounted. It's a project gun and the sad part is, it is all matching.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'll say there is a project I finished that I regretted, and that was changing out the stock of my plain jane 10/22 carbine (model 1103). I should have just left the original beech stock (or whatever wood that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom