• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****One of my range friends has a Gen 1 G17 and we field stripped it to look at the parts and were both amazed how similar the design has remained over almost 40 years. It's very well engineered, reliable, and accurate enough that many police departments and other local, national, and international agencies still use the updated versions as sidearms.

If I owned one, I would have zero problems using it as a carry or home defense gun. I honestly cannot say the same for several of my other *much* more expensive pistols, from well respected manufacturers that are a lot less reliable but perhaps more accurate on a bench rest at 50 yards - a distance I am unlikely to ever have to shoot at in real life.

In my home, I see my pistols as more of a way to get me to an AR, or a shotgun. Either of those platforms open up options for self defense that a non-professional like me finds easier if I have to engage a bunch of people trying to break into my home to take my prized possessions (me, my family, the dog, other assorted household pets, etc..). I'm well insured and can replace stuff for the most part but after seeing the beat downs and outright savagery of various rioters/looters/thugs/imbeciles I'm not too confident the police will be able to help me in time if all I have to defend myself is an iPhone, a spatula, and mebbe a Swiss army knife if I can get to the right defensive blade as it has a ton of other stuff on it that's not that useful during a SHTF situation (yea, I'm referring to the tweezers and plastic toothpick, duh...)

I'd be happy with the Gen 1 Glock for HD, and they may not be highly prized as collectables today, but the same was true of a *bunch* of NFA items and any number of other non NFA firearms just a few years back.

I know it might seem like heresy to say this, but I think Gaston Glock is one of the greatest firearm designers in history. His designs have changed the way others in the same field design their offerings, and I'm pretty sure Glock's sell more handguns in the US and probably the world, than *any* other manufacturer.

The dude is still alive, no doubt in part to modern medicine and the fine medical work his nurse has administered to him via a variety of modalities. She cared about his health enough to be with him full time to administer his care. We should all be so lucky to have this kind of medical treatment in our old age, and I sincerely hope we can reform our healthcare system in this country to better emulate Gaston's good fortune...

Attachments

• Glock.jpg
      Glock.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 160

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom