• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    For all the lawyers (or non-lawyers) out there, what does this mean (from https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/management/superintendent-s-compendium.htm):

II. 36 CFR §1.6 – ACTIVITIES THAT REQUIRE A PERMIT

(f) The following is a compilation of those activities for which a permit from the Superintendent is required:
    36 CFR §1.6 – ACTIVITIES THAT REQUIRE A PERMIT

• Advertisements: Display, posting or distribution

• Aircraft & Air Delivery

• Attaching or tying objects to, nailing, jumping from or swinging by ropes or other means from aqueducts, bridges, structures, trees, or other vegetation, construction and use of rope traverses or slack lining

• Audio Disturbances

Carry or possess a weapon, trap, or net

The above is from the Great Falls National Park website. It is confusing when read in conjunction with the firearms law information at https://www.nps.gov/grfa/learn/management/firearms.htm, which indicates carry of firearms by non-prohibited persons in the park is legal.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Am not a lawyer but I hike there all the time on the VA side. My understanding is that last bullet above is more targeted at those that might hunt or fish. I know that at the little visitor center there the bathrooms have (or used to have ) a no-firearms sign on the door, not sure about the visitor center itself, I've never been inside it and think it is currently closed. Also, be aware that when you are on some of the trails you might walk into a state park....for example if you are going on the trails to the northwest along the river you'll move into Riverbend Park which is either a state or county park and different laws will apply.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Am not a lawyer but I hike there all the time on the VA side. My understanding is that last bullet above is more targeted at those that might hunt or fish. I know that at the little visitor center there the bathrooms have (or used to have ) a no-firearms sign on the door, not sure about the visitor center itself, I've never been inside it and think it is currently closed. Also, be aware that when you are on some of the trails you might walk into a state park....for example if you are going on the trails to the northwest along the river you'll move into Riverbend Park which is either a state or county park and different laws will apply.

Thanks. I believe you are correct. I found the following from 36 CFR:

§2.4 Weapons, traps and nets.

(a) None of the provisions in this section or any regulation in this chapter may be enforced to prohibit an individual from possessing a firearm, including an assembled or functional firearm, in any National Park System unit if:

(1) The individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) The possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the National Park System unit is located.

(e) The superintendent may issue a permit to carry or possess a weapon that is not otherwise authorized, a trap, or a net under the following circumstances:

(1) When necessary to support research activities conducted in accordance with §2.5.

(2) To carry firearms for persons in charge of pack trains or saddle horses for emergency use.

(3) For employees, agents or cooperating officials in the performance of their official duties.

(4) To provide access to otherwise inaccessible lands or waters contiguous to a park area when other means of access are otherwise impracticable or impossible.

Violation of the terms and conditions of a permit issued pursuant to this paragraph is prohibited and may result in the suspension or revocation of the permit.

Paragraphs (a) and (e) seem to back up your understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom