• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Very cool picture. Is that the building that was on the left, north on 301 right around the Mattawoman Beantown Rd. light? It was called Rips I think in the late 90s early 2000s.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Waldorf was a regular stop on the country circuit back then. There were 5 or 6 locations, a few of them were HUGE.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mrs Biggfoot saw Conway Twitty , etc there back in the tail end of " the day " . Occasional Shows happened up until early '80s . A 500 seat restraunt/ bar/ concert venue is nothing to sneeze at .

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I think the proximate cause was everyone moving from PG county to Charles County trying to get away from the 'hood, they just didn't realize they made the 'hood the 'hood and they brought it with them. A close friend of mine, a professional African-American female who lived in a townhouse development made this assessment in the late 2000s and sold her townhouse and fled to a different area.....I still remember her telling me "I know they are my people but this is bulls**t, I'm gone".

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Waldorf was a regular stop on the country circuit back then. There were 5 or 6 locations, a few of them were HUGE.

One of them was the Stardust. I saw Tanya Tucker there in 1974 or 1975. I still remember hearing a familiar voice in the back up singers. When she introduced them it was Phil Everly.

Saw Davis Allen Coe at one of the places about 1988 or so, it was pretty drunk out that night.

Supposedly Roy Clark lived in the Forrest Park area in the 60's but can't confirm it

Pic of the Stardust Inn towards the end, apparently it was demolished in 1999

Attachments

• Stardust.jpg
      Stardust.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 215

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Another one now long gone, The Flamingo. Going by the pictures of the abandoned neon sign I found elsewhere, it was where National Motors sits now, and not too far form the "paint can"

The Flamingo was located just south of where National Motors is. During the seventies, for a few years, the building was used as a crab restaurant. Then it was left vacant for some time. Eventually the building was torn down and the only thing that remained was the concrete slab foundation. Some time ago the entire site was rehabbed, concrete removed, soil dug up and a new building was constructed. At first there was an animal hospital in the middle. Last I looked there was a nail spa and a Domino’s Pizza in the building.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Today a co-work who just built a very expensive home (>$700K) off Bensville Road in Waldorf less than a year ago announced he has it on the market and is moving to Calvert due to "issues" with Waldorf including traffic and his neighbors lack of respect for themselves, others and other's property.

We tried to warn him before he built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom