• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I'm looking for any input on a good 24-30 gun safe. What do you guys have or had before the boating accident. Thank you in advance for any help.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I own 2 Champion Model T's, good safes entry level for strong American made. Liked so much that I bought a second one.... cost delivered about 1,000 each. Delivery is a ripoff but it is what it is.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Best unbiased safe buyers guide on the interwebz.

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Lotta good info there! :thumbsup:

The page on addressing the challenges of “short-uns” like AR’s, AK’s etc reminded me of hack I came up with by way of necessity, for a couple BARE STEEL INTERIOR SAFES as well as several bare metal interior cabinets:

Hole-sawing 2” holes, iirc 4” on center, down the center of a 7” plank then rip the board down the middle, sand, apply adhesive backed 1/2” felt-stripping inside the half moons, attach powerful cup magnets to the back of the wood length and voila! Racks that can adjusted to any height!

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Mag...&sprefix=round+magnets+strong,aps,415&sr=8-16

I guess I’ll be screwed if I ever spend up for a proper vault with a carpet lined interior .... :sad20:

Attachments

• EE66CFB0-3D9F-40C5-9BBD-143975E7BAB6.jpeg
      EE66CFB0-3D9F-40C5-9BBD-143975E7BAB6.jpeg
      27.4 KB · Views: 498
    • 3E1BD68F-60D0-4CCB-A10A-0288F25BF1CA.jpg
      3E1BD68F-60D0-4CCB-A10A-0288F25BF1CA.jpg
      56.4 KB · Views: 496

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Lotta good info there! :thumbsup:

The page on addressing the challenges of “short-uns” like AR’s, AK’s etc reminded me of hack I came up with by way of necessity, for a couple BARE STEEL INTERIOR SAFES as well as several bare metal interior cabinets:

Hole-sawing 2” holes, iirc 4” on center, down the center of a 7” plank then rip the board down the middle, sand, apply adhesive backed 1/2” felt-stripping inside the half moons, attach powerful cup magnets to the back of the wood length and voila! Racks that can adjusted to any height!

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Mag...&sprefix=round+magnets+strong,aps,415&sr=8-16

I guess I’ll be screwed if I ever spend up for a proper vault with a carpet lined interior .... :sad20:

Great idea with the racks! (Stealing that one) I just made curtain rods for my house with the same magnets/idea. I’m half done applying wood to the outside of a cabinet, simple and the thing sounds much better without the metal noise. Pics soon.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    Most "gun safes" (including Liberty) are not SAFES. at least as classified by the insurance industry. The insurance industry classifies them as "residential security cabinets" (RSC)

I believe the safes offered by Zanotti Armor are classified as a true SAFE. https://zanottiarmor.com/ and No I don't have one... i made my mistake before I discovered them.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Look for one that has independently locking bolts in the door. A lot of safes have the bolts all welded to a single bar. The best safes will have each bolt independent of the others, if you somehow manage to defeat one, the others are still in place.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    WHOA. Okay, ^NOW you have my FULL attention, man!^

After 4 PCS Moves around the US and tens of thousands of times opening my safe( About 6 to 10 times a day) with a digital lock. The screws fell of the back of the lock mechanism causing the re-locker to fire sealing my safe closed. I bought my Safe in October 2010 the lock was out of warranty but it wasn't a lock problem sent a certified smith to my house and got my safe opened and fully repaired. Cost to me $0.00 so this is why my next safe this year will be a liberty as well.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Just FYI, I found the best price to have a safe moved 20 miles, paved driveways concrete floors and no steps was $1100, a few months ago.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a Liberty and love it. Yes there are better safes out there but for the money I’m very pleased. I’d definitely buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Thank you all for all the advice. I've noticed from the ones that I've looked at in person that the gun count is WAY off. How much did you guys weigh the quoted fire rating time ? I figured if there's a fire I'm F'd anyway. One more question is what is a reasonable cost to have it moved from dropped off out front to a basement location, up a couple stairs into the house then down about 8 stairs to the basement ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom