• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    I got the scope off eBay and it's not bad overall. But the bdc is clocked a little off. It's not straight up at 12 o'clock. Is it possible for me to open it up and adjust the prism? It needs to be rotated clockwise, maybe a couple degrees. Looking for first hand experience so I don't dive in and break something

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You are going to release the nitrogen fill at the very least.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I was under the impression that the knock off acogs did not have nitrogen or tritium. There was no mention of nitrogen in the description.

I guess it's not a worry then. If on the other hand it does, then you risk fogging.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I got the scope off eBay and it's not bad overall. But the bdc is clocked a little off. It's not straight up at 12 o'clock. Is it possible for me to open it up and adjust the prism? It needs to be rotated clockwise, maybe a couple degrees. Looking for first hand experience so I don't dive in and break something

If this is going on an actual firearm, I wouldn't expect it to hold zero or maintain functionality very well.

Why don't you consider a Primary Arms fixed magnification prism scope? Same concept as an ACOG and would actually be reliable.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x32mm-gen-iii-prism-scope-with-acss-556-cqb-m2-reticle

They make them from 1x through 5x I believe.

Knock-offs also support a pretty scummy industry in general. Don't buy fakes.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If this is going on an actual firearm, I wouldn't expect it to hold zero or maintain functionality very well.

Why don't you consider a Primary Arms fixed magnification prism scope? Same concept as an ACOG and would actually be reliable.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x32mm-gen-iii-prism-scope-with-acss-556-cqb-m2-reticle

^^ This. My thought is to either get a legit ACOG, or if that's too pricey, get something like a Vortex or Primary Arms prism scope. I really want an ACOG, but I didn't want to spend ACOG money for the real deal. I would, however, spend $300ish, and for that I got the Primary Arms Prism 3X, and for that I got a prism scope with pretty good glass that at least has an adjustable diopter, which to my knowledge the ACOG does not.

There is a great article talking about the torture test of the PA scope:

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/primary-arms-compact-prism-scope/

This guy literally destroyed the scope, but he wanted to see just what it would take to do it. That scope will withstand just about everything but a direct hit from a rifle - certainly anything reasonable.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    I hear the input, I know there are many way better scopes out there. Believe me, I know. But I'm just looking for some hands on technical acog info if anybody has it.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    You do not have an ACOG, therefore, ACOG help will do you no good. No one in their right mind would crack open an ACOG at home. They would send it in for repair.

I would not try to take it apart. Shoot it till it fails and then move forward. Opening it up likely will not end well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I hear the input, I know there are many way better scopes out there. Believe me, I know. But I'm just looking for some hands on technical acog info if anybody has it.
    Not a real Trijicon. All bets are off. You 'pay what you get for'...

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Would these suggestions hold up to the recoil of a 12ga?

^^ This. My thought is to either get a legit ACOG, or if that's too pricey, get something like a Vortex or Primary Arms prism scope. I really want an ACOG, but I didn't want to spend ACOG money for the real deal. I would, however, spend $300ish, and for that I got the Primary Arms Prism 3X, and for that I got a prism scope with pretty good glass that at least has an adjustable diopter, which to my knowledge the ACOG does not.

There is a great article talking about the torture test of the PA scope:

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/primary-arms-compact-prism-scope/

This guy literally destroyed the scope, but he wanted to see just what it would take to do it. That scope will withstand just about everything but a direct hit from a rifle - certainly anything reasonable.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I bought a cheap ass monstrum prism scope a few years ago. It’s not a acog clone but it looks like it uses the same technology. I was using it and I noticed the image moved around when it was on a rifle and I was dry firing it. I ended up getting it replaced under warranty and the didn’t want the old one back. I took it apart and the adhesive cementing the prisms to the prism block had let go over one of the prisms. I ended up using epoxy to hold the prisms back in place. In taking everything apart in noticed I had managed to mess up the orientation of the reticle. The reticle was in a holder in front of the prism block. It is really easy to adjust on this scope. There are two holes to rotate the reticle. I ended up staking the reticle ring with epoxy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the way to adjust it exactly the same as this scope. To adjust only the reticle you’d have to remove the four Allen screws. There was a sealant holding the rear of the housing to the rest of the scope. Once it breaks free you can see the inside of the scope. The prism block is right there. The two holes will allow you to rotate the reticle in the holder. I’ll find a picture

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Here the reticle on top

Attachments

• C650CF63-A73D-40C3-924D-460F33E29630.jpg
      C650CF63-A73D-40C3-924D-460F33E29630.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 109

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Very interesting! Mine is not battery powered so apart from the wires it should look very similar to your example(just based on Google searches). I contacted the seller and have a replacement already on the way, so if they refuse to take back the old one then I'll break that one down and have a look. Appreciate the info!

I bought a cheap ass monstrum prism scope a few years ago. It’s not a acog clone but it looks like it uses the same technology. I was using it and I noticed the image moved around when it was on a rifle and I was dry firing it. I ended up getting it replaced under warranty and the didn’t want the old one back. I took it apart and the adhesive cementing the prisms to the prism block had let go over one of the prisms. I ended up using epoxy to hold the prisms back in place. In taking everything apart in noticed I had managed to mess up the orientation of the reticle. The reticle was in a holder in front of the prism block. It is really easy to adjust on this scope. There are two holes to rotate the reticle. I ended up staking the reticle ring with epoxy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the way to adjust it exactly the same as this scope. To adjust only the reticle you’d have to remove the four Allen screws. There was a sealant holding the rear of the housing to the rest of the scope. Once it breaks free you can see the inside of the scope. The prism block is right there. The two holes will allow you to rotate the reticle in the holder. I’ll find a picture

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom