• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Looking for ideas here. Please just throw anything out there. I don't spend much time reading about rifles anymore, so there's probably something new and cool that I'm not aware of.

I have very fond memories of my first .22. Although that gun is long since gone, I still have a fondness for .22's and love to build and shoot them still to this day. I have a couple of CZ 452's and a pile of 10/22's to take up this task.

Onto the point of this post; I have two little girls, aged 3.5 and 1.5 at the moment, and it's time to develop some rifles for when they're older. I will be having these built by Mike R. at Tactical Operations, and the timetable I've given him is prior to him retiring in 5 years. These rifles will stay with me for a long time, and likely handed down to my daughters kids in some fashion at some point in 35+ years unless either one of them really takes up shooting once they're grown and settled. These will be family heirlooms of sorts, but they're going to be some serious machines.

I had been thinking about identical rifles, bolt action, .22's or .17HMR's, with external suppressors. Something Mike said to me last week now has me thinking about one .22 and one .17 and I now can't decide if they should both be bolt, or make the .22 semiauto and the .17 bolt.

So, what does the collective braintrust of MDS have? Throw some ideas out on the table for good guns suitable for beginner shooters. This is going to be expensive, so I'd like to nail it on the first try.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    For my oldest daughter I started her on the Cricket. For my second I bought a savage rascal (actually two because she insisted that hers needed to be pink). The savage is the best of the starter rifles I’ve seen and wouldn’t even bother looking at anything else. I have a project idea to build a full size stock for it. My youngest grew the fastest and was too big for the Rascal so I went with the Ruger American Rimfire carbine and installed Tech-sights and got the full LOP stock as she grew into it. I liked the Ruger so much that when I found “tactical “ version I got it and it has become my favorite can host.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    This is just my opinion, but this is what I would suggest. I would start them out with say a the Scoped Daisy Powerline Model 880 Pellet/BB. It's scoped, light weight, cheap to operate and you could instill safety habits and develop basic shooting skills/fundamentals. Then I would move them up to a Ruger 10/22 or CZ if you can afford it. Another option could be buy a nice used AR-15 platform and a 22 Conversion bolt/kit. That way if they fall in love shooting then they/you would have that 5.56 mm option.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have never put an old Remington Nylon 66 in the hands of a kid that didn't want to keep shooting it all day. Not much more sound or recoil than a pellet gun. The 66 was Jerry Miculek's first gun and look what that lead to.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Savage makes a smaller stocked rifle for kids, and when they get old enough you can trade it in for full sized. Have one for my daughter.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'd go with a single shot bolt action .22 with a wood stock and iron sights, and a Remington Youth model shotgun (not sure if you want a shotgun too). There are some models that can fire .22 short which is what I plan to start my son on who is about the same age as your younger daughter. It sounds like you want to get something a little more elaborate because of this guy's coming retirement. So get that gun for yourself and let the girls use it. But get them their own very simple tools that they can own/cherish/enjoy and learn the fundamentals on.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Two rifles for my two kids

Wow, Dad.....only a rifle for each, I'd think they'd be worth a whole lot more than that!!!!:sarcasm:

But really.....another vote for the Ruger American Rimfire Compact. Bolt Action, uses 10/22 mags (single, five, ten shots, more where legal), so lots of versatility. The interchangeable stock modules let you adjust for LOP (Reg. and Compact) and height for optics (Monte Carlo v. Flat comb).

BTW - We have two in our safe.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    I would go with the CZ455 for both of them. The nice thing about the CZ is that you can switch barrels relatively easily between 22lr and 17hmr with factory barrels. They also come threaded for external suppressors OR with integrally suppressed barrels for the 22lr

Of course if money isn't an issue, I would absolutely go with Vudoo Gun Works out of St. George Utah. They are the new hotness in the 22lr market but they are pricey. It sits in a Remington 700 footprint so you can use just about any aftermarket stocks / chassis which is nice for adjustability. They have integrally suppressed barrels as well if that is something you want.

Sirex