• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Thinking about another 22 can. The Rugged had peaked my interest. Anyone that has one, how is the FRP? I have seen conflicting reports.
    Also was looking at the Erector....

Is 6 or 7 22 cans too many?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Erector you say? Interesting choice of name for a suppressor. :lol2:

Id say no number of cans is too many. But then again I only have 3. 22, 9mm, and 30cal

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Erector you say? Interesting choice of name for a suppressor. :lol2:

Id say no number of cans is too many. But then again I only have 3. 22, 9mm, and 30cal

Once you see it, you will understand the name. Google Q Erector, I dare you...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just had my Oculus out for its debut performance a week ago. Used it on a Ruger MK-IV, a Ruger Precision Rimfire (bolt rifle), a 10/22 with a fat barrel, and a S&W 15/22. Happy to report that I had no trouble cycling on any of those platforms, using a variety of ammo. Happy to report that - as advertised - I had NO discernible first round pop. Note: I only used it in its full size application, didn't take it down and re-assemble in the short format. Yet.

Even happier to report that the thing really is nice and quiet. With sub-sonic recipes, the action on the semi-autos is a significant part of the noise involved. On the bolt action rifle, I was close to giggling like a school girl over how quiet it was. I think the staple gun I was using to put up targets was just as loud. Definitely usable for back yard squirrel assassination (not that one would ever do such a thing!), and I can't imagine anyone living less than 50 yards away even being aware you were shooting an Actual Firearm.

Now, reality check: just like ALL of these things, clean up is an adventure. Finally realized that just soaking the baffles and the shroud in a jar full of Hoppes for a while allowed me to essentially just wipe the thing clean. If you don't soften up all of that carbon/lead, it's a lot and its tenacious. Rimfire ammo is seriously grubby.

Conclusion: you'll love it. I can't objectively say that it's substantially better than its competition, but I can say that it completely lived up to everything I'd heard about it. And FRP is indeed a non-issue, which is very cool.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I love mine. It's got a good 500+ rounds through it without a cleaning so a few hours in the sonic cleaner are probably in order. No FRP from any of my guns and the bolt gun with subs is stupid quiet.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just curious...why is this more expensive than other .22 cans? I don't get it.

Modular. You can use it in its full length, or take it down, and reassemble it in a shorter format. So, there's some extra machining involved, if nothing else. The design really works. In its short configuration, it's quite effective. If you use it at full length, it's quieter still and - importantly, unlike so many others - has no first round pop. Can vouch for that, it works.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just curious...why is this more expensive than other .22 cans? I don't get it.

Because other .22 cans are cheap.

:)

In all seriousness though, if you compare this to it's competition, as far as build quality and materials go, it's about the same cost. Sure, you can get one with aluminum baffles for cheaper, but they're a pain in the ass to clean, not nearly as durable, and won't work with magnum rimfire calibers or 5.7 like the Rugged or Dead Air Mask will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom