• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Not to start the holy war of holy wars, but in a home defense situatiom sinxe im in a townhouse would 45 being mainly subsonic be better for penetration and hearing? Or just go 9mm for the price?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In a home defense situation, both will be very very loud without a suppressor. "subsonic" only means that the sonic crack is missing. You still get the boom of powder exploding, which is most of the noise. My 223 (supersonic) with a suppressor is more quiet than my 9mm subsonic without a suppressor, because the boom is most of the boom. If you truly want "quiet" in a townhome, you have to fill out the paperwork and wait 9 months for ATF to give birth to a stamp.

In terms of 45 vs 9mm, my suggestion is to imagine yourself in the future with a pistol. Would it be 9mm Glock, or 1911 45ACP? There is a benefit to having carbine and rifle take the same mags/ammo so go with that.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    For what it's worth I really like my Diamondback DB9R PCC. It's a blowback style and gets really dirty but it feeds reliably, takes Glock mags, and has a last round bolt hold open. All the same controls as an AR so it's good for practicing. I can hit steel at 200yds with the red dot I have on it. I got mine for $599 on Gunbroker but I think they have gone up in price. I switched the, stock, grip, and trigger. The trigger wasn't that bad I just prefer 2 stage triggers.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/diamondback-firearms/db9rb/

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781321999

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    ALL my PCC must have compatible magazines to match/mate the same caliber pistol. Want to up your pistol caliber muzzle velocity? Eject your pistol magazine and slap it directly into the carbine. No fumbling around for a proprietary mag.....No muss, no fuss!

I have a Beretta Cx4 as well as the versatile TNW AERO.

The Beretta CX4 platform can use either Px4 or 92/96 pistol magazines with some easy minor hardware changes. Cx4's are usually seen in 9mm, but also available in .40 or .45 caliber if you really want bigger holes.

Similar to the Just Right carbines are the TNW Firearms -AERO Survival Carbine. These use any appropriate Glock magazines to match the respective Glock pistols. TNW comes in a good variety of pistol calibers and kits that are easily swapped out by user-level field stripping. IMHO TNW Aero Survival is a better firearm than Just Right due to tool-less field strip and caliber adaptability.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at Det Wildman :

Answer #1 - Yes , .45acp will have much lower muzzle pressure, aka muzzle blast, aka noise .

Answer #2 - All the calibers in question will have much less blast from a 16in bbl than typical handgun lengths .

Does / Should this matter to you ?

Yes , they will all still be "loud" . But having personal experience firing different cals inside a small barn, there IS a difference between "loud" and "really freaking loud" . Enough for me to switch barn guns from 9mm+P+ to .45Colt .

For Wildman's purposes ? Consider it * A * factor , not necessarily * the *factor . In general factors would also include trajectory ( distance) , compatability with your handguns or other firearms, ammo cost / availability .

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I have never shot the TNW survival rifle, it gets good reviews too but its up in $$.

I suppose it depends on how and where you get the TNW PCC. On the manufacturer's website they are listed at $799, and for a while I was considering getting a new one from Top Gun in Fallston at ~$700. However, a fellow MDS member sold me a great condition 9mm one with red dot sight and 3 glock mags for $500. I thought I did pretty well with that deal, but just a few months later at a steel challenge event at Delta PA, one of the other guys got his at Chantilly for $300.

Similar to the Just Right carbines are the TNW Firearms -AERO Survival Carbine. These use any appropriate Glock magazines to match the respective Glock pistols. TNW comes in a good variety of pistol calibers and kits that are easily swapped out by user-level field stripping. IMHO TNW Aero Survival is a better firearm than Just Right due to tool-less field strip and caliber adaptability.

The glock mags are nice due to widespread availability, and the tool-less take down makes it fast to pack up and put in a smaller case. I have only run ~500 rounds through mine, with perhaps 1-2 stovepipe failures when I was trying to go fast. Given the limitation of the red dot sight and my eyes, I cannot tell what is me or what is the gun when printing on paper at 100yards, but the groups are reasonably tight.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Yeah i know unsupressed guns will all be loud, but itbis nice to know the difference between loud, loud loud, and holy ****. I actually DONT have a handgun, whuch even when paying for the hql would be less than a pcc, but i just strongly prefer long gun/carbines instead. Weird, i know. I figre glock mags is a big selling point since they are everywhere.

Sirex