• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I figure i have a 50/50 chance of being right putting this with rifles instead of pistols, so here we go. Ive been re evaluating the type of shooting im doing. Currently, with my rifle and ammo setup i have to drive to machine gun nest to shoot which isnt unbearable but coming from glen burnie a quick trip to the range ends up eating 3-4 hours of your day. Im looking into pcc, since brass ammo is cheap, i could go to on target or msar (considerably closer) and could double as home defense. I dont hunt, and if the world ends ill most likely be dead way before i cpuld lament not havjng a 223, 12g, etc. Its kind of a bummer that accuracy past 100 yards would be a pipe dream but realistically id just be looking at a fuzzy blob with my eyes anyways. So users of pcc, what do you think, worth their cost? Scorpions are pushing 1k, and some of the fancier ar patterms are well over (cmmg guard, alphawolf, mpx). I really like the guard in .45 or 9mm but 1100-1300 plus, thats kriss vector territory. I know i could just do it but im a chronic researcher and as much input as i can get the better!

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Look at JR carbines. Affordable, can accept certian ar parts , reliable and plain fun to shoot. The take down model is nice. They make them with Glock or M&P magwells in 9, .40 & .45

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    You and I are in the same boat in regards to distance to a rifle range, and not shooting rifle as much because of it.

I bought a PCC and use it at the local indoor range. The ammo costs less than rifle ammo, is the same as what I use in handguns, and the carbine is a blast to shoot.

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Why are you driving to Machine Gun Nest for rifle? Does MSAR no longer allow rifle?

To your question: Why not both rifle and pcc, or is this a budget issue? I've got two PCCs: Beretta CX4 and CZ Scorpion (pistol with tailhook brace). I like both, though I like the Scorpion much more.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    MSAR allows rifles, but no steel case. As a 762x39 owner currently, ill be damned if ill buy brass cased. Machine gun nest is only indoor range that allows steel case to my knowledge.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hard to beat a PCC for a usable short-range long gun, especially for the cost of ammo. Lots of fun at indoor ranges, or shooting steel far closer than you could with a rifle caliber. 9mm is the only way to fly IMO for a first PCC, easy to go through ammo quick, and it's about as cheap as a centerfire caliber can get. Reliability varies, especially with AR-9 variants, but plenty that you can buy or build. The Sig MPX and Scorpion are awesome, really well built, and designed around the caliber.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why not AGC? Or Glen Brook? Berwyn Rod & Gun?

I'd say thumbs down to On Target.

PCC is fun (I have both rifle and AR style PCC), and less expensive - so long as you get a decent one. You can't go wrong with the Ruger or Kel-Tec, but I'd stay away from the Hi Point (https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/09/staff-writer/best-9mm-carbines-under-500/). I have never shot the TNW survival rifle, it gets good reviews too but its up in $$.

If you are looking for an AR 9mm, There are a number of them that take Glock, Colt, or Beretta mags. Or, you can build one with a decent barrel and accuracy to 100 yds wont be an issue either way. If things are fuzzy at 100yds, add a scope.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    What about the new Ruger PCC? Fairly inexpensive, takes Glock mags as well as Ruger mags. You're in Glen Burnie so you are close to Select Fire. You can shoot PCC' s there.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... and as much input as i can get the better!

Rock River LAR-40; a KelTec also in .40; and a Colt AR 9mm, here.

The Rock River is nice but, sourcing mags is ridiculously complicated and always an unnecessarily expensive pain in the *ss (and I even have retired Chicago friends who work at RR!); and THEN, there is the fact you cannot drop in any other AR trigger. Solid 4 out of 5 :tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown:

The Colt AR 9mm is much lighter, mags are much more easily sourced as are after market triggers. Then, you have the resale factor (or bequeathment, if you have heirs of any sort). Also, accurate enough for a dot optic or scope. AND 9mm is less expensive than .40. “Buy once cry once.” Solid 5 out of 5 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The KelTec (which utilizes Glock .40 mags) fills a special niche or two for us, primary of which is as a travel gun. Folded up it fits into a racquet bag or small musical instrument case and once in the hotel for the night it’s accesssible with a 22-round mag, a mounted white light and a sling. Then there is the fun, “shoot it and blow it out with compressed air” factor but, a large part of the latter is fact we can shoot off the back deck ... would gladly pick up another one in 9mm
    4 out of 5 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Best o’ Success!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Why not AGC? Or Glen Brook? Berwyn Rod & Gun?

I'd say thumbs down to On Target.

PCC is fun (I have both rifle and AR style PCC), and less expensive - so long as you get a decent one. You can't go wrong with the Ruger or Kel-Tec, but I'd stay away from the Hi Point (https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/09/staff-writer/best-9mm-carbines-under-500/). I have never shot the TNW survival rifle, it gets good reviews too but its up in $$.

If you are looking for an AR 9mm, There are a number of them that take Glock, Colt, or Beretta mags. Or, you can build one with a decent barrel and accuracy to 100 yds wont be an issue either way. If things are fuzzy at 100yds, add a scope.

Why not the High Point? I’m confused as the link you attached gives it a 4 out of 5 stars review, says it always goes bang, and is plain fun to shoot. Granted the sub-link of the full review shows the barrel blew up, but if you read the story it was because the author admittedly used junk reloads and got a low-powered bullet stuck in the barrel ready to be blasted by the next, full power round. Yet, even though completely the fault of the author, High Point sent him a brand new rifle. Unless I read that wrong? Sounds like a good company to deal with. You may have had personal bad experience with it but the linked story provided seems to contradict your recommendation to stay away(???).

For someone looking for a cheaper PCC, I don’t see how he would want to discount this one. I have one and it definitely is one ugly damn gun, but one that’s simply plain fun to shoot and was very inexpensive. I certainly wouldn’t recommend it as an equivalent or a replacement for the other brands mentioned, but if he wanted to spend a whole lot less and still have a fun and functioning PCC, I’d be hard pressed to not point him in the High point’s direction.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Yowza. That “Grab-a-Gun” seller lists 48 (FORTY EIGHT !!!!!! ) different PCC makes and models — AND THATS JUST IN 9mm!!! :lol:

Talk about a solid number of choices; “Hello, friendly local FFL?”

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why not the High Point? I’m confused as the link you attached gives it a 4 out of 5 stars review, says it always goes bang, and is plain fun to shoot.

You are right its 100% utilitarian and its reliable. To me the trigger is mushy and it feels like... cheap plastic. For someone used to an AR i think it will be a disappointment. But I've become a snob with all my fancy schamncy Geissle triggers I bought on sale, so YMMV. For $300 there is not a lot of downside.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I put 200ish rounds of PPU ball ammo through a Ruger PC carbine with the glock insert the week i bought it. No jams like the internet haters claim it would.

I bought it because it was cheap, had a threaded barrel and to fill the gaping lack of a PCC hole in my collection. Perhaps a similar situation to you. Way more fun then I had anticipated. With the 33rd glock mags and no recoil it is pretty much a big 10/22. For plinking it is awesome.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    DontTread, what pcc did you go with? An ar pattern or one of the more specialized ones?

I have a Beretta CX4 Storm. It takes 92 mags which is convenient for me. It’s a “love it or hate it” kind of firearm; I love it because the design makes sense and it’s a lot of fun to shoot. Some people don’t like the way it looks.

We live close to one another, let me know if you want to try it out at On Target.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hi Points might "feel" cheesey to fondle , but all the ones I've handled , the triggers were certainly usable . Not Gissles , but they're not the limiting factor for the gun ( or typical PCC generally ).

The bang for the $ is unmatched . Iirc the daughter's 9mm was $239 , and my .40 was $199 . The average person spends that much on fast food and carry out coffee .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom