• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Define concealed vs open carry from a LEO perspective. Reason I ask is if I was 6'2" 145lbs with a defined waist it would be a different story but at 5'6" 200lbs and shaped like Louis DePalma I will usually wear my shirts untucked. I plan on open carrying in Va on vacation but my standard dress is shorts/jeans, tee shirt and a unbuttoned cuban shirt. So with an unbuttoned shirt carrying on the hip is that considered open enough?

I can legally ccw but not feasible with my build and normal tee shirts

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    If the shirt falls over the "openly" carried gun enough to conceal it from common observation at any time, you are carrying a concealed weapon during the time it is concealed. If you have a permit to CCW, and you're in an area where open carry is legal, this is a non-issue.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom