• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    The senate just passed the credit card bill and if i remember right didnt they tack on an amendment to bring back the carry in parks with it?

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    We Can Win This One

We can win this one...if so inclined, please click on the link at the bottom
    of the page and follow this easy method of informing your representative how
    you feel on the issue.

----- Original Message -----
    From: "Gun Owners of America" <Gun_Owners_of_America@capwiz.mailmanager.net>
    To: "Don Pollock" <rambling_one@verizon.net>
    Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:34 PM
    Subject: On The Verge Of Victory

> Gun Owners Are On The Verge Of A Huge, Legislative Victory
    > -- The next few days could see the end of the pernicious gun ban on NPS
    > lands
    >
    > Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    > 8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    > Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    > http://www.gunowners.org
    >
    > Tuesday, May 19, 2009
    >
    > Get ready to pinch yourself.
    >
    > After eight years of clashing with anti-gun bureaucrats and
    > congressional leadership hostile to gun rights, we have never been
    > closer to victory in the battle to repeal the National Park Service
    > (NPS) gun ban.
    >
    > As you are by now undoubtedly aware, NPS land is subject to a blanket
    > gun ban. A Bush administration regulation partially reversing the ban
    > was singlehandedly negated recently by an activist judge in Washington,
    > D.C.
    >
    > Gun Owners of America reported last week about an amendment to repeal
    > the gun ban, sponsored by Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK), that passed by an
    > overwhelming 67-29 vote. Senator Coburn attached his amendment to a
    > fast-moving "must pass bill," H.R. 627, dealing with credit card
    > industry reform.
    >
    > The Coburn amendment simply allows for state law -- not unelected
    > bureaucrats and activist judges -- to govern the carrying of firearms on
    > NPS land.
    >
    > "Visitors to national parks also should have the right to defend
    > themselves in accordance with the laws of their states," Sen. Coburn
    > said.
    >
    > The Senate wrapped up business on the underlying bill today, while the
    > House passed its version of the bill several weeks ago. The measure now
    > heads back to the House to be "reconciled" with the Senate bill.
    >
    > The problem for anti-gun House leaders is that their priority bill, H.R.
    > 627, now contains a pro-gun amendment. Speaker Nancy Pelosi is forced
    > to either delay the entire bill in order to try to strip the popular
    > pro-gun amendment out later in the year, or allow the underlying bill to
    > move through the House before Memorial Day with the Coburn amendment
    > intact.
    >
    > Sources close to the situation tell GOA that the Democrat leadership,
    > which has opposed the NPS gun ban repeal at every turn, may have finally
    > run out of options. The enormous outpouring of grassroots activism from
    > GOA supporters may have at last convinced congressional leaders that if
    > they bury this measure yet again, the repercussions will reverberate
    > into the next election.
    >
    > President Obama wants to sign this credit card legislation before
    > Memorial Day. So it is possible that there will be just one more vote
    > on this issue in the House this week. As of today, it appears the
    > leadership plans to bring the underlying bill to the floor in two pieces
    > for two separate votes -- one on the main bill and one on the Coburn
    > amendment.
    >
    > If both pieces pass the House, then they can be combined together as one
    > bill and sent directly to the President without going to a House-Senate
    > conference committee. (There would be no need to iron out differences
    > in conference committee since the Senate would have already passed the
    > exact same version of the bill.)
    >
    > Bottom line: we just need to make certain that the gun ban repeal
    > amendment passes in the House, after which it will be joined back up
    > with the main bill and signed into law. That's why the action item
    > below -- asking you to urge your Representative to vote for repealing
    > the NPS gun ban -- is so crucial.
    >
    > This could be the last strike in a long battle, but even on the cusp of
    > winning GOA has also learned that some -- supposedly on the pro-gun side
    > -- are willing to compromise away this victory. Please be absolutely
    > sure to take the action below, and then forward this email to your
    > pro-gun friends.
    >
    > And remember, the progress we have made on this issue would not be
    > possible without your support. GOA has been the lone voice fighting for
    > this gun ban repeal on Capitol Hill.
    >
    > Action: Contact your Representative and urge that the Coburn amendment
    > remain attached to H.R. 627. The vote is scheduled to occur this week!
    >
    > Please use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at
    > http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Rep. the pre-written
    > e-mail message.>

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    is this the credit card bill they've been saying punishes people who responsibly pay down debt?

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    is this the credit card bill they've been saying punishes people who responsibly pay down debt?

yes it's a double edged sword. From what I've read it allows credit card companies to charge interest at the moment a purchase is made instead of charging it at the end of the billing cycle. Which screws people who pay their bills on time. Yet again the honest dependable people get screwed to pay for the ass's who don't pay their bills. So even if we win.....we lose.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    yes it's a double edged sword. From what I've read it allows credit card companies to charge interest at the moment a purchase is made instead of charging it at the end of the billing cycle. Which screws people who pay their bills on time. Yet again the honest dependable people get screwed to pay for the ass's who don't pay their bills. So even if we win.....we lose.

There is no way that can be true - that's just insane.
    a ton of people would just stop using credit cards and the credit card company would loose a lot of money from the merchant fees.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    a ton of people would just stop using credit cards and the credit card company would loose a lot of money from the merchant fees.

yup.. +1

i'll be one of them... i got just a notice on one that they will be increasing the interest..they can kiss my you know what.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    yup.. +1

i'll be one of them... i got just a notice on one that they will be increasing the interest..they can kiss my you know what.

for me, they sent me something where they're upping fees and rates or no reason...welp f u bank of america and goodbye...hello navy federal credit union

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky

Wish it wasnt but it is. Saw it on yahoo today, also said alot of rewards cards would stop. Punish all who pay bills on time lets make sure we catter to the folks who cant managed their credit. I agree with you that this will just keep people from using their cards. Hopefully our local banks wont mess with our debit cards.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    for me, they sent me something where they're upping fees and rates or no reason...welp f u bank of america and goodbye...hello navy federal credit union

its crazy.. they know people are loosing jobs and some are tighting their budget... they would think they will be able to pay higher rates? haaaaaaaa

btw.. i'm working on a new nfcu.. :)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Wish it wasnt but it is. Saw it on yahoo today, also said alot of rewards cards would stop. Punish all who pay bills on time lets make sure we catter to the folks who cant managed their credit. I agree with you that this will just keep people from using their cards. Hopefully our local banks wont mess with our debit cards.

debit cards are totally different.. thats your actual money (like using a check).. they prolly just increase atm usage if you use different bank like they had before. but then again.. didnt the gov set new rules on that too?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Credit card companies may charge you interest from the day you made a purchase if they want to. Nothing different there. That's not what the bill allows. It levels the playing field, giving the poor-credit people better interest rates than they had available and protection against rate/fee increases and the good-credit people get bad interest rates and higher fees than they're used to. Just another form of spreading the wealth around. :tdown:

I got word form BofA that they were lowering my credit limit by 60%. That's the oldest card I own and kept it open for credit history purposes. They kept throwing more and more credit at me over the years even though I never kept a balance. I had so much available, I could have bought a new Vette. But, since they cut my available credit tremendously, it hurt my credit score! My available credit to debt was increased because of that move! Now, I have no debts (I hated the bills and worked hard to pay everything off early) but my score is worse than people with debt. I charge everything (gas, groceries, phone) to my cash-back credit cards and pay them off at the end of the month just for the cash-back. It's easy to run up a 4 figure balance every month that way, but I always paid it off. Now, that 4 figure balance is hurting my score! So, now, I log in and pay off my balance once per week, just to keep the balance so low it fixes my credit problem.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I got word form BofA that they were lowering my credit limit by 60%. That's the oldest card I own and kept it open for credit history purposes. They kept throwing more and more credit at me over the years even though I never kept a balance. I had so much available, I could have bought a new Vette. But, since they cut my available credit tremendously, it hurt my credit score! My available credit to debt was increased because of that move! Now, I have no debts (I hated the bills and worked hard to pay everything off early) but my score is worse than people with debt. I charge everything (gas, groceries, phone) to my cash-back credit cards and pay them off at the end of the month just for the cash-back. It's easy to run up a 4 figure balance every month that way, but I always paid it off. Now, that 4 figure balance is hurting my score! So, now, I log in and pay off my balance once per week, just to keep the balance so low it fixes my credit problem.

I don't know who told you that information but I think you may have misunderstood them. Having balances on credit cards does not hurt your score, the amount of available credit on those cards and the number of open revolving accounts does. The way beacon scores work is they assess risk and if you have a bunch of credit cards open with large amounts of available credit then you are a higher risk than those with less revolving accounts. If you want to see your scores go up then close cards you don't need and pay off the balances, keeping one or two revolving accounts is not a killer to your score but keeping 5-10 cards open is.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I had a card for years that I paid off right away and kept current. A couple months ago, they sent a notice telling me that "in order to maintain profitability on your account", they would be jacking up the rates. I closed the account.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I actually consider this a loss
    /me ducks

hear me out...I'm against earmarks as a whole. I don't want to use shady tactics to get good legislation done, I think that each bill should be about 1 thing and 1 thing only...none of this unrelated amendment crap.

Yes, the bill had a pro 2A amendment...but it also strengthened the feds power of private business. When they can easily trash the constitution on one topic, what is to stop them from trashing another?

I don't think it will happen but I hope that one of the laws from MT (an prospectively from UT and TX) will put some fscking limits on the commerce clause...then I will dance a jig...until then...yes, a slight victory for 2A (and a hollow one), but a great loss for America.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I had a card for years that I paid off right away and kept current. A couple months ago, they sent a notice telling me that "in order to maintain profitability on your account", they would be jacking up the rates. I closed the account.

Ironically the credit card industry has a name for people like you......"deadbeat".
    They call people who pay before interest can be accrued deadbeats because they are people who use their services that they cannot make a bigger profit off of.

Learned this from Ben Stein about five or six years ago. That man also called it a long time ago about the over creditting of American citizens and how it will lead to a economic disaster. He was spot on and it is a shame only a few people listened to him.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Ironically the credit card industry has a name for people like you......"deadbeat".
    They call people who pay before interest can be accrued deadbeats because they are people who use their services that they cannot make a bigger profit off of.

Learned this from Ben Stein about five or six years ago. That man also called it a long time ago about the over creditting of American citizens and how it will lead to a economic disaster. He was spot on and it is a shame only a few people listened to him.

then a deadbead I am as well. Thats how American express used to work, excpet for the yearly fee. you HAD to pay it off every month.

these days credit cards are like an emergency backup loan than I can use if needed.

got rid of everything but Chase, they are the only ones that have maintianed a sense of good character and customer service.

Credit card companies get paid for every transaction anyways.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    Gone will be the grace periods and back will come the annual fees. Some credit card companies are saying they will drop customers who "habitually" pay off their entire balance. They make it sound like doing the right thing is a bad thing. Novus was right, they do call us deadbeats. Plus, since the total credit line you hold (minus the amount you owe) directly affects your credit score, getting dropped for doing the right thing will also drop your credit score.

One more note: Closing your accounts because you want a grace period you can't get, because you don't want to pay annual fees, or for any other reason will also drop your credit score.

This really looks like one more way for the Dems to stick it to the people who try to do the right thing. First the responsible homeowners were asked to bail out the irresponsible ones, now the responsible credit users will get the shaft. It may not be intentional on the Dems' part. It might just be their usual lack of foresight, because they seem to like jumping into the swamp with both feet before checking to see if the gators are in there.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Credit card companies may charge you interest from the day you made a purchase if they want to. Nothing different there. That's not what the bill allows. It levels the playing field, giving the poor-credit people better interest rates than they had available and protection against rate/fee increases and the good-credit people get bad interest rates and higher fees than they're used to. Just another form of spreading the wealth around. :tdown:
    vette97 is right that credit card companies can charge you interest from the day you made the purchase (as opposed to the posting date, which is common practice now). Discover Card has said they will now start charging from the day of the transaction, not the posting date. They also said they have no plans to do away with the grace period if you pay off your balance in full. They feel many cardholders will cancel their cards if the grace period is eliminated.

Target Visa has said the same thing. They will try to get fees and more interest where ever they legally can, but won't eliminate the grace period as too many cardholders would cancel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom