• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Ok whats the deal with this -- how mauch harm does it do to the dishwasher? soap no soap - metal parts and/or wood. ups delivers tomorrow and its my weekend project

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Your dishes come out tasting like a Russian's socks in the springtime (before the yearly bath) for a few loads.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Ok whats the deal with this -- how mauch harm does it do to the dishwasher? soap no soap - metal parts and/or wood. ups delivers tomorrow and its my weekend project

I used dishsoap, i had to remove the upper shelf to fit the sks stock, i dont know if a 91/30 will fit or not. My DW has a heated dry cycle at the end that really dryed it out alot. I ran a second empty cycle with just dishsoap just in case there was crud, but i didnt see any. I've used a little oxyclean when hand scrubbing stocks to bleach them out a little, it may help with stained or discolored wood.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Dishwashers and guns :sad20: Where oh where did this disaster combo ever evolve from :wtf: Hot soapy water and wood = warping ,raised grain , lots of sanding , the removal of the "original" finish and much of the rifles future resale value :sad20: water and metal = rust ....is that even a realistic consideration of anyone but the scare crow from the Wizard of OZ ? ( He needed a brain ). Who would use a dishwasher to clean a firearm ? If it's slathered in cosmoline try a brush and a tub filled with mineral spirits ;) followed by a generous application of Breakfree CLP :)

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    I always used oven cleaner on the stocks. Just watch this on metal as it'll take off the blue. Be sure to wash off the stock afterwards and let it dry. I've sometimes used fine steel wool on the wood, later. Then something like Tru Oil.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Honestly, both the Mosin Nagants that I got were relatively clean. The only large concentrations of cosmo on them were in some of the nooks and crannies like throughout the bolt/cocking knob assembly, chamber, magazine, sight, etc. Also, there was a film of some dried-on cosmo on most of the barrel.

The stocks were dry, clean, and in great condition. The Yugo SKS I degreased was much worse. I never really properly de-cosmoed the stock, I just sort of wiped it down with shop rags until it felt dry to the touch. But then again, it's my friend's, and he hasn't even shot it once yet.

arcmanacp

Jan 28, 2008
    Northwest

When my sks came I disasembled it.The metal parts I cleaned with brake parts cleaner. When the cosmoline was off, I gave them a bath in Gibbs.The wood cleaned up nice with maximum strength Murphys Oil soap.Dental pick for those nooks and crannys.I wiped down the stock with mineral spirits, then a light coat of linseed oil.:D

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I tried the dishwasher method for the first time, last week. It was a heavily cosmolined Yugo M59/66 SKS.

I had to suspend one end of the stock underneath the upper dish rack with a piece of coathanger, so it would fit diagonally. It was the only way I could get it to fit my dishwasher and not interfere with the central spray nozzle that comes up through the center of the rack.

I filled the powder cups half-full with regular dishwashing powder, and set it to the full length cycle with heated drying.

The result was a perfectly clean, 100% de-cosmolined stock. There was absolutely no warping, and although the grain was raised slightly, it also removed most of the major dents. Only a very minimal amount of sanding should be necessary to prep it for refinishing. I weighed the stock daily over the past week, to get an idea of how much moisture remained in the stock; it lost about 12 grams of water through day 6, and seems to have stabilized there, so in total it absorbed only about 12 CC's of water while in the dishwasher.

I also threw the whole gas tube/forearm assembly on the top rack. There was a very tiny bit of surface rust in one spot that cleaned right off, otherwise it survived in perfect shape, too. I immediately oiled it to prevent any further rust from forming. If I did it again, I'd stick the tube vertically on a peg to prevent water from sitting in one spot, to prevent rust.

Overall, I consider the method very successful and would definitely use it again, on any low- or moderate-value gun stock. I wouldn't use it on anything of significant value or historical importance, obviously.

Bethesda John

Feb 28, 2007
    Escaped to Virginia
    Stock in the Dishwasher: Yugo SKS - Yes, Mosin - No.

In general, the Yugo SKS stocks are plain or oiled wood that have been dipped and smeared with cosmo to the point it's soaked into the grain. The dishwasher treatment worked extremely well in getting mine back to the bare wood with no problems with warping. Make sure you remove as much of the metal as possible. Leave the crossbolt in. Add soap to the dishwasher or the melted cosmo will harden and stick in your pipes once it cools down. After that finish it as you please.

All my Moisns had Soviet shellac finishes with very thin hints of cosmoline residue. A rag dipped in mineral spirits quickly took off the little cosmo that was left. After that touch it up as you see fit with some amber shellac. I add a little red food coloring to the shellac to match the original Russian color. Putting a stock with a shellac finish into a dishwasher is asking for trouble. Bad, bad.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    a parts washer machine takes about 5 minutes, I only put the metal in it though, came out spotless, I then sprayed a decent ammount of oil on it, let it cool, and wiped of the excess.
    For the wood, I hung it in front of a heat lamp, let it get hot, and basically used a rag damp with really hot soapy water, to not take off the finish. A month or two later I decided to refinish the stock, masked the metal in the stock, sandblasted it, then hand-sanded it, and used minwax stain and matte polyurethane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom