• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    2 days before Black powder season. I think not and the guy at dick's sad Maryland madr them pull the stuff.

I'd have to disagree. The WalMart in La Plata, Md has already pulled 60% of the hunting supplies and replaced the shelves with soccer and footballs and we still have much time left for hunting. I was shocked to walk in the door looking for something and they are having Spring in the hunting section already, 2 weeks ago.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I must have missed the headlines, so could someone please fill me in on all the details of all the places in Md. that have caught on fire and blown up due to improper storage of black powder and percussion caps.

My thoughts exactly-- I guess they were done keeping us safe from all the inert hand grenades.....

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    OTOH..this is kinda interesting..So the State F.M. decides to do his job (?) and check those suppliers of BP and Caps, and things. License/Permit not in order?? What to do??

"OK pull all that stuff off the shelves, can't sell it cause your License/Permit is not up to date (or something like that)."

Question: What happens to the stuff taken off the shelf? Stored in the back room?
    F.M. confiscates all the stuff? "Look...it's really more safe in the store room than it is on the shelf." (duh).......if it really is a License/permit thing, why not just upgrade the thing and keep going??

This thing has an odor to it.......why now?

Just sayin...
    R

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This thing has an odor to it.......why now?

Well, I can tell from an experience with the gym industry in Maryland that all it takes is one disgruntled competitor to kick of a wave of enforcement of previously un-enforced regulations. That is the simplest explanation for what happened here.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I worked at dicks a few years ago. They swap out hunting gear for fishing gear on Superbowl Sunday. I remember this because I wasn't about to miss my family's Superbowl party because of work, so I called in stock and my manager told me to just not bother coming in anymore lol.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    No, you go to a real gun store, instead of depending on big-box stores that drop seasonal items after sales peak, and don't give a damn about hunters - but just want their money.

Show me a gun store thats whole point of operation isn't to make money off of you. That is the goal for everyone.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Bass Pro is selling Black Powder and Primers

I just bought some Black Powder and Primers from Bass Pro today. They logged in my powder purchase of course. I had read about them doing this on MDS, but I don't remember why they are doing it. It made me feel so much safer to be entered into the log...

I didn't think I would get into Black Powder shooting. Damifinowfish had me try some of his BP rifles this weekend. I had a lot of fun with it, so I took the plunge and ordered a BP rifle yesterday.

Now I have another thing to spend money on.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Is there a difference between black powder and the type of powder people typically reload say 9mm or 45 acp with?

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Is there a difference between black powder and the type of powder people typically reload say 9mm or 45 acp with?

There is. We have a whole section on reloading and I'm sure that there is an answer in there somewhere for you; however, to prove that I'm not just being a dick, they're talking about Pyrodex which is a black powder substitute. IIRC same reactive characteristics as BP but with less instability.

Black powder is a nitroglycerin based explosive that can become more unstable with age although, as I understand it, modern recipes have negated some of this instability.

Powders used in modern centerfire reloading are "propellants" and only have the black (generally speaking of course) color due to the application of graphite to the powder during its finishing stages.

Black powder is an explosive that will go off/explode when ignited vs. reloading propellants which produce a controlled burn inside a cartridge.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore

Huge difference. Actual "Black Powder" or "Gunpowder" as opposed to "gun powders" is a mixture of a few basic chemicals (Sulfur, Charcoal & saltpeter) that go *BANG* when lit. It has a pretty much fixed rate of burn & is lower pressure than most modern "propellant gun powders". It is possible to ignite it with a sharp blow.

Modern powders are either a nitrocellulose, or nitrocellulose & nitroglycerine based propellant that generates much higher pressures & temperatures. It is much less prone to ignition, compared to black powder.

Black powder makes a bunch of smoke & leaves a lot of residue, modern propellants leave very little residue & make almost no smoke by comparison.

With a suitable brass case you can load black powder (or it's "substitutes") into a modern gun. .444 marlin, 45-70 .303 British & so on were once black powder loads so you can go back to them as long as you don't mind the smoke & cleanup. However you can never, ever do the opposite as modern propellant gun powders will destroy a black powder type gun.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Digging up an old thread.

I was in Dick's Sporting today and some guy asked where the primers were. The employee gave the guy some random response about state law, then gave him suggestions where to go and get them.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Ok let me add something to this thread. As someone who has EXPERIENCE with the BATF with dealing with explosives, the whole thing sounds like it revolves around explosive magazine requirements. The BATF sets requirements for storage, believe it or not, if you own BP and do NOT own and shoot BP firearms, you MUST have an explosive magazine. I ran into a sticky situation, when my BATF agent came by to inspect my records, and I had my BP stored in my SAFE and not a type4 magazine. Now, if you are not knowledgeable in explosive storage, my type4 is a small "Mountain Manufacturing" brand box, of 16ga powder coated steel. which once located, and removed from its "secure" location can be thrown under your arm and carried away. My safe, is a multi-hundred pound steel safe bolted to my floor, once I showed my agent my TC Hawken, and explained I shot BPmuzzle loaders was satisfied, she warned me that any other use would require the BP to be stored in the safe.

Storage of "explosives" cannot be in any "occupied" structure.

Tom

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    What really gets me is that usually none of these places will carry smokeless powder due to "fire marshall' concerns but will stack all manner of LP gas in those little green 'cans' and all the "Coleman" white gas you could ever use. Which do you think is more flammable?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Ok let me add something to this thread. As someone who has EXPERIENCE with the BATF with dealing with explosives, the whole thing sounds like it revolves around explosive magazine requirements. The BATF sets requirements for storage, believe it or not, if you own BP and do NOT own and shoot BP firearms, you MUST have an explosive magazine. I ran into a sticky situation, when my BATF agent came by to inspect my records, and I had my BP stored in my SAFE and not a type4 magazine. Now, if you are not knowledgeable in explosive storage, my type4 is a small "Mountain Manufacturing" brand box, of 16ga powder coated steel. which once located, and removed from its "secure" location can be thrown under your arm and carried away. My safe, is a multi-hundred pound steel safe bolted to my floor, once I showed my agent my TC Hawken, and explained I shot BPmuzzle loaders was satisfied, she warned me that any other use would require the BP to be stored in the safe.

Storage of "explosives" cannot be in any "occupied" structure.

Tom

That sounds like a whole nother can o worms compared to rumor control that is being talked about.
    The employee even mentioned to the guy asking to go to a dicks sporting in Delaware to get primers. He mentioned a few local shops that would have it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom