• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I have an 870 Express I use for trap/sporting clays on weekends and HD during the week. After a workout on the weekend, the receiver and barrel (to a degree) will be absolutely furry with rust by Tuesday. I keep the gun in the coolest driest place in the house, but it still rusts almost instantly. 000 steel wool will clean up the rust, but I am also removing metal. Is there an oil or some protectant that will keep the gun in good health?

I suspect the rust has to do with condensation from bringing the gun outside, shooting, and into the AC house, but I am not sure. It seems to happen all at once if conditions are right.

Advice?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have an 870 Express I use for trap/sporting clays on weekends and HD during the week. After a workout on the weekend, the receiver and barrel (to a degree) will be absolutely furry with rust by Tuesday. I keep the gun in the coolest driest place in the house, but it still rusts almost instantly. 000 steel wool will clean up the rust, but I am also removing metal. Is there an oil or some protectant that will keep the gun in good health?

I suspect the rust has to do with condensation from bringing the gun outside, shooting, and into the AC house, but I am not sure. It seems to happen all at once if conditions are right.

Advice?

At this point nothing will really help as it sits. Theres rust under the surface, you are just knocking off the surface stuff.

You can slow the rust but you wont stop it.

EEZOX will work best.

If you want to solve the problem have the gun ceracoted. It will never rust again, even in salt water.

Some peoples body PH dont agree with guns, so it could just be your body chemistry rusting it (Oils and Sweat). I know my hands will rust any gun fast, its like acid. I have to wipe everything metal down after I touch it or it will rust.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Eezox will really slow it down, we all have had surplus guns that have had rust on them at one point (no way something was carried through three wars and stored in a bunker between them without rust). Really slows down the process to an unnoticable pace.

CLP is next best, I keep both but use the Eezox on the older surplus guns.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have a T/C black powder rifle, I swear if you just breath on it, it develops a thin coating of rust. I have learned to keep it well-oiled, and only take it out on dry days.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for the info.

I am not sure there is an underlying rust issue. The reason I think that is even a brand new barrel going from outside at the range (hot/humid) to inside AC it rusted up in a day or so. If I wipe it down with a cloth or steel wool it cleans up just fine.

I will be buying some Eezox ASAP.:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While Ezeox is undoubedly decent stuff, the big issue is the rust forming in 2-3 days . A light coating of any type of oil should be providing more short term protection than that. Either you live in an environment with really nasty salt/ acidic vappors, or there is an issue with your personal body chemestry, and the particular blueing formula. Happens sometimes. My blue Dan Wesson will develope a light coat of rust while stuck in waistband.
    As mentioned there are any number of aftermarket finishes/ coatings that are "highly rust resistant" . But for you described usage, a wipedown after use, and weekly should handle the situation.

Ieatpeople

Dec 15, 2009
    i just wipe my shottie down with a silicone cloth after cleaning it, and it stays rust free.

here's the one i use:
    31eikd4waNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While Ezeox is undoubedly decent stuff, the big issue is the rust forming in 2-3 days . A light coating of any type of oil should be providing more short term protection than that. Either you live in an environment with really nasty salt/ acidic vappors, or there is an issue with your personal body chemestry, and the particular blueing formula. Happens sometimes. My blue Dan Wesson will develope a light coat of rust while stuck in waistband.
    As mentioned there are any number of aftermarket finishes/ coatings that are "highly rust resistant" . But for you described usage, a wipedown after use, and weekly should handle the situation.

If eezox is applied correctly it will provide a dry, surface coating to the metal that won't easy be pushed or rub off like oil.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

There is no oil on the gun, which maybe the problem. I do not think it is body chemistry problem because it is all over the gun, not just the parts I have handled. I should have taken a pic.

Now that I think about it, the problem has gotten worse since it warmed up outside. So I wonder if taking it from cool dry inside to hot humid outside is causing very small amounts of water to condense. The barrel that stays inside and is not subjected to temp and humidity changes does not rust. Not sure.

I will give Eezox and a silicone wipe down cloth a try.:thumbsup:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    There is no oil on the gun, which maybe the problem. I do not think it is body chemistry problem because it is all over the gun, not just the parts I have handled. I should have taken a pic.

Now that I think about it, the problem has gotten worse since it warmed up outside. So I wonder if taking it from cool dry inside to hot humid outside is causing very small amounts of water to condense. The barrel that stays inside and is not subjected to temp and humidity changes does not rust. Not sure.

I will give Eezox and a silicone wipe down cloth a try.:thumbsup:

air holds more vater vapor when it warms up...so it's natural to expect quicker rust. ure gun should be parkerized right? That coating won't really stop rust, but does act like a nice sponge to hold oil. remember how oil and water don't really mix? also remember how most oils are attracted to metals? You should AT LEAST be wiping it down with a light coat of remoil before storing it. steel wool is good at removing rust, but also has pretty fine steel particles in it that can end up in the finish itself if you wont wipe it down with a nice oily rag to remove them. While looking for eezox(or paying scotts gunsmithing a visit to have them cerakote or stealthcoat ure firearm) you should definately keep it stored with remoil to displace the water on it and act as a nice barrier(also cleans the outside too). Barricade is also good stuff if you can't find eezox.....i mean commahn man, gun storage 101 here.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    air holds more vater vapor when it warms up...so it's natural to expect quicker rust. ure gun should be parkerized right? That coating won't really stop rust, but does act like a nice sponge to hold oil. remember how oil and water don't really mix? also remember how most oils are attracted to metals? You should AT LEAST be wiping it down with a light coat of remoil before storing it. steel wool is good at removing rust, but also has pretty fine steel particles in it that can end up in the finish itself if you wont wipe it down with a nice oily rag to remove them. While looking for eezox(or paying scotts gunsmithing a visit to have them cerakote or stealthcoat ure firearm) you should definately keep it stored with remoil to displace the water on it and act as a nice barrier(also cleans the outside too). Barricade is also good stuff if you can't find eezox.....i mean commahn man, gun storage 101 here.

Thanks for the 101. I never had the gun storage lesson.

I just bought all the rust preventatives I will need for a while. More fun with guns.

Last edited:

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    Ill throw my vote in for Corrosion-X. Ive been using its for ~5 years and never had a spec of rust on any of my firearms. Anything that begins life in a marine application for preventing rust and is heavily recommended makes me feel pretty warm and fuzzy for dry usage. That being said, Eezox also works extremely well. Those very well may be the two best products for rust prevention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom