• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    to be fair, 9.5 lbs would make sense in a big long range caliber for bench shooting, where the 9.5 lbs would absorb a lot of recoil, and you are not lugging it through the field or a competition.

9.5 lbs makes no sense for 5.56.

Not impressed by the 20 round PMAG lmao
    Agreed. I’m thinking the 5.56 doesn’t make sense for how they are currently marketing this rifle. Not like being the most accurate 5.56 on the market is gonna win you anything anywhere, it sounds like the wrong approach. Before this gets too far out of the barn, they need to introduce a more substantial caliber for their claimed “long range precision” niche. Other than varmint hunting, I can’t see buying this for the purposes of long range precision as currently advertised. Can you even spot a hit on steel at 600 yards with a 5.56 77 grain bullet, or spot the splash of the misses for correction?

I like what they’re trying to do, but it seems someone didn’t think this all the way through. And this is coming from a man that admittedly can’t resist any shiny new toy, especially a shiny new “precision”-minded rifle.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I feel like this day and age its not that hard to put together a sub moa ar15 and still keep weight down well below what this weighs.

But you would not have the bragging rights to owning a Springfield Rifle......:innocent0

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Attachments

• waitaminute.jpg
      waitaminute.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 44

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    to be fair, 9.5 lbs would make sense in a big long range caliber for bench shooting, where the 9.5 lbs would absorb a lot of recoil, and you are not lugging it through the field or a competition.

That weighs a little less than my first purpose built 3-gun rifle. The United States Navy Mk12 Special Purpose Rifle weighed that much.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    What's the benefit of a "Accurized Tactical Chassis monolithic lower"?

I don't know how much better it can be. The "tactical" BS is ad-speak. The MOA guarantee is not a big deal either. It should be. You need to accurize the upper/barrel connection. I doubt SA does that.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    What's the benefit of a "Accurized Tactical Chassis monolithic lower"?
    no stress on the upper at all. Traditional means there will be slight play between upper and lower that can introduce variables from shot to shot.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

The MAC sh!ts on this thing so hard, lolz

Yeah, he doesn’t seem sold on it. His review initially was just more of the “you can build an equal or better for a lot less money” typical nonsense, a lot of which gets tiresomely spewed around here for any firearm that isn’t budget priced. He did however save the review by actually reviewing the features and performance of the rifle itself, which is all I requested when I originally posted this thread. I never asked if you could build a comparable rifle for cheaper, and I certainly never asked what is everyone’s personal opinion of Springfield as a whole.

Tim gave an honest assessment of that the rifle, while achieving the stated accuracy guarantee for the most part, noting that it has some other drawbacks and actually questioned the purpose of the rifle, much as I did - wondering if .223 / 5.56 was the best cartridge for what is to be considered a “precision” rifle. That answer was no for him, and I originally theorized that it was also a ‘no’ from me as well. It was a small encouragement that the Drake company that invented the original rifle had planned to offer it in larger bore, more traditional ‘precision’ calibers.

I like the attempt from Springfield, but it’s looking like it may be a swing and a miss (TBH I’ll call it a foul tip keeping the at bat alive until the other calibers are released).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom