• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Scope and rings came in yesterday. PICS!!!!!

txhDSq7l.jpg

gKLV5JLl.jpg

2CnBrlGl.jpg

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    That’s neat!

Back in ‘18 or ‘19, I came across a Ruger 77 in x39 at the Hickory Gun Show with a real looker of a deep, flawless metal blueing in a dark, nicely figured walnut stock … I came so close to getting that rifle but alas, had so many other pressing priorities …

I like your setup as it’s more practical!

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Very nice! Been looking for one of these rifles, but don't have the extra to spend.

There's one in the classifieds now with a PA scope. The prices is pretty good considering the current market...

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Funny, I thought I'd hate the stock. BUT for what the rifle is, it's perfect!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If only these things took AK mags. :) I have been tempted to try to go fabricate a 3D printed AK mag well for my Ruger American just to see if it would work.

ETA: got curious and did some measurements. No obvious reason why you couldn't make AK mags work, the magwell has plenty of room. The ACTION might not be wide enough, didn't measure that... but if it's big enough to take AR-308 mags, can't imagine why AK mags would pose a problem.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    You can easily switch the magwell to a AR magwell so it can accept 7.62x39 AR mags.

I happen to own a mini 30, so I already have a bit of mags for it. I also own the RAR in 350L and I'm sure that the magwell is an just an AR magwell.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, the rest of them are AR magwells. I just happen to own a pile of 47 mags, so being able to reuse them is a goal (thus far, a -47, a 556R, and an SKS-M).

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    You can easily switch the magwell to a AR magwell so it can accept 7.62x39 AR mags.

I happen to own a mini 30, so I already have a bit of mags for it. I also own the RAR in 350L and I'm sure that the magwell is an just an AR magwell.

That's part of my plan. The guys at Nodak told me that the ProMag (ugh) Ruger Mini-30 mags are actually pretty good, so I ordered a couple 10 rounders from Midway since they were on sale. If they're sub-par, I'll just order the 5.56 AR magwell from Ruger and use 7.62x39 AR mags

Then, there's this...
    https://nodakspud.com/Ranch Sights.htm

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Also can get a Boyds stock if you switch to the AR mag well.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah, but after handling it a bit I actually like the stock.

I also have a RAR in 7.62x39 and feel the same way. Actually - for the Boyds stock, they send it to with the AR mag well parts. You just need the mags.

Yeah, I don't get where people say the Ruger Ranch stocks flex - I think they are very rigid. I am not thrilled with the trigger guard being molded into the stock though. Still - it's a 7.62x39, how fancy does it need to be?

One upgrade I got for one of my RAR's and plan to get for the Ranch; a Timney trigger. VERY NICE!!

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    One question. Anyone know if the stock has enough "meat" on it to mount flush cups?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    That's part of my plan. The guys at Nodak told me that the ProMag (ugh) Ruger Mini-30 mags are actually pretty good, so I ordered a couple 10 rounders from Midway since they were on sale. If they're sub-par, I'll just order the 5.56 AR magwell from Ruger and use 7.62x39 AR mags

Then, there's this...
    https://nodakspud.com/Ranch Sights.htm

I got a 30 rounder mini 30 promag that I like to clip on to the RAR for giggles, calling it the "CA compliant AK". Functionally, the mag is really stiff where it will misfeed with the mini 30 if loaded fully, so I just load it up to 20-25 rounds. For the RAR, you really gotta drive that bolt forward to get it to feed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was thinking more about my 3D printed AK mag well module plan, and I'm starting to think that the most efficient path to victory is to use a Galil mag catch and then install that in the 3D printed magwell module. This would be a lot sturdier (especially if I did an aluminum version later) and reduce a lot of the engineering load on me. The Galil, if you'll recall, has magazines that are AK-47 compatible in form factor (if not caliber), and has a mag catch with no integrated trigger guard.

The downside is that the American's magwell module is not trivial to replicate - lots of curves and so on. A simplified version is probably not too hard to sort out for a proof of concept, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom