• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    DC ended 2019 with the highest number of homicides recorded in a decade, yet we cannot prosecute felon-in-possession because racism? What about the victims who are overwhelmingly black? They do not matter. This policy makes me sick.:(

https://wtop.com/dc/2020/04/dc-atto...secution-of-local-gun-cases-in-federal-court/

DC also has more felons released onto the the streets every year for five years now.

When DC incarceration rates rose, violent crime and homicide fell. Now that incarceration rates are falling homicide has been going up for several years now.

And it is not just a correlation, but clearly causal. Prior criminals are about 85% of homicide victims, and about 90% of homicide perps.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I highly doubt DC will see any repercussions from selective prosecution. DC has been moving away from prosecution for a while. The difference now is Racine is actually willing to admit it.

It is shameful that the guy in charge of protecting the innocent is an advocate for criminals/crime under some guise of enacting data-driven criminal justice reform. I would love to see his data because my data says the majority of violent crimes are committed a very small minority of bad actors. When they are on the streets crime goes up, when they are off crime goes down.

Agreed but Racine has also been blaming the feds all along when most gun crimes are in fact local not federal and an amazing proportion of gun crimes are pled down to non felony, meaning number of people feds can charge for felon in possession is a problem

EG When DC downgrades from ADW to "unlawful discharge" that is one less person that can be charged by feds as a felon in possession.

And you are exactly correct about the data on who is committing violent crime. It is a tiny cohort of repeat criminals.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Agreed but Racine has also been blaming the feds all along when most gun crimes are in fact local not federal and an amazing proportion of gun crimes are pled down to non felony, meaning number of people feds can charge for felon in possession is a problem

EG When DC downgrades from ADW to "unlawful discharge" that is one less person that can be charged by feds as a felon in possession.

And you are exactly correct about the data on who is committing violent crime. It is a tiny cohort of repeat criminals.

This is just another step in decriminalizing crime be it the NEAR Act, Metro fare evasion, elimination of proactive policing, violence interrupters that is proving to make the city less safe.

It paradoxical that DC congratulates itself on tough gun laws, but also refuses to impose consequences on bad actors violating these laws while they commit violent crimes. There is zero effectiveness of a law if there is no enforcement.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    This is just another step in decriminalizing crime be it the NEAR Act, Metro fare evasion, elimination of proactive policing, violence interrupters that is proving to make the city less safe.

It paradoxical that DC congratulates itself on tough gun laws, but also refuses to impose consequences on bad actors violating these laws while they commit violent crimes. There is zero effectiveness of a law if there is no enforcement.

Sounds like its’ neighbor to the north!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I don’t deal with gun crime really anymore but have you actually seen this the ADW—-> Inlawful discharge, with an actual victim?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Erik i couldn’t agree more that the NEAR Act is a no win situation!!

Being soft on crime + crack gave us the bloody 80's. I was here as a little dude and it was not fun. Murder capital of the nation. DC has made tremendous progress since then. I do not know why people want to go back to the old days. Probably because they were not here. :rolleyes:

TBH the wife and I are looking to move next year partly because I think DC has peaked. That is difficult to say.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Being soft on crime + crack gave us the bloody 80's. I was here as a little dude and it was not fun. Murder capital of the nation. DC has made tremendous progress since then. I do not know why people want to go back to the old days. Probably because they were not here. :rolleyes:

TBH the wife and I are looking to move next year partly because I think DC has peaked. That is difficult to say.

The real estate rehab market is still crazy hot. I don’t know if it’s peaked but the project displacement is alarming. Tons of great people trying to better themselves but also lots of bad apples.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    Exactly.

Free to carry:

th

No go on carry:

DWPqL2QV4AAbBWV.jpg

That was too direct to the root of the matter, and as such it goes entirely ignored on this forum. It's always amusing to see how race is the root issue in every single political issue on the left, but conservative circles make a big point to go out of their way to announce how little they care about systemic racism when it comes to their own oppression.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    That was too direct to the root of the matter, and as such it goes entirely ignored on this forum. It's always amusing to see how race is the root issue in every single political issue on the left, but conservative circles make a big point to go out of their way to announce how little they care about systemic racism when it comes to their own oppression.

It was not ignored on the forum because it was too direct, it was ignored because the meme is inaccurate. In DC it is relatively easy for lawful people to get a carry permit.

There is some truth to your point. DC spent two years prosecuting Mark Witaschek for having a dud shotgun shell and some muzzleloader bullets in his house. That story would better demonstrate the irrational prosecution of DC.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/9/miller-how-government-tyranny-destroyed-a-dc-busin/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom