• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    A friend's neighbor recently passed away, and his wife found this photo. She'd like to know anything about the photo, including the type of rifle and the approximate time period. It's not much to go on, and this is the only pic of the rifle. We're hoping the uniforms and civilian dress might help with the ID. Also curious about who the men might be (French, etc.).

I suggested taking the pic to NRA HQ to see if somebody there might have a clue, but wanted to try asking the brain trust here for their help first.

No, she doesn't have the rifle (darn it). Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Rifle.jpg
      Rifle.jpg
      80.9 KB · Views: 371

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Second from the right looks like a WW1 Doughboy. My guess is they are French. As for the rifle I'm not sure. Looks like the front end of an 03 Springfield to me which would match the time period. The wide sling swivel should give it away.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Second from the right looks like a WW1 Doughboy. My guess is they are French. As for the rifle I'm not sure. Looks like the front end of an 03 Springfield to me which would match the time period. The wide sling swivel should give it away.

The "wide" sling loop you see is actually two. If you look close its the forward mount and then the one mid way down the handguard offset from the angle of the picture. This would also suggest M1903 as they have two set up just like that.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thats a m1903. the sling swivel looks wide because the stacking swivel is right in front. Bolt knob is a giveaway too. They're probably wondering if its safe to shoot. Id say about 1920 or so they are on a range with a polished bolt and a high front site protector maybe.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The front "swivel" looks like it has an opening, like an American stacking swivel.

The bolt is unlocked. That's an American style bent down bolt handle. Add the high hump handguard and the American soldier, and I'd agree it's an '03 Springfield.

The round blur by the muzzle could be a front sight cover.

... They're probably wondering if its safe to shoot...

They're probably wondering who came up with that crazy rear sight.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Second from right is wearing what looks to me like an 1898 style fore-and-aft creased hat. May be USMC or Army.

I'm sure that others here know early uniforms far better than I do, but it may not be safe to assume that the dress uniforms are French. Many countries had similar-looking uniform styles.

You might also try posting to http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    That looks like a M1903 to me, but very difficult to say conclusively.

You can see the sight hood, finger grasping groove (just in front of gentleman's left thumb), high hump handguard) and the bolt handle.

See if you can spot with a magnifying glass a S on the foretip. I doubt it's high resolution ebough to spot.

I take it nothing written on the back?

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thats a m1903. the sling swivel looks wide because the stacking swivel is right in front. Bolt knob is a giveaway too. They're probably wondering if its safe to shoot. Id say about 1920 or so they are on a range with a polished bolt and a high front site protector maybe.

They began polishing bolts as early as 1909 for the National Matches (the 1903 was adopted as the National Match rifle, to replace the Krag in 1908). With alterations indicated by the Chief of Ordnance each year, based ok feedback from the teams and armory personnel.

However, that bolt may not be polished. There's something with the metal composition in the bolts ans what colors thw camera can pick up with regards on color on the spectrum with older film. I forgot the specifics but it's the same concept where people see combat photographs of M1903 USMC snipers with "polished bolts," but the CMC issued a directive to the USMC QM in early 1942 that all snipers wit polished bolts must go through a bluing process. But in the photograph they look polished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom