What's the MDShooters equivalent in Kentucky?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I'm still about 3-5 years out before retirement but I already know where I want to go: Kentucky, somewhere between Hebron (just south of Cincinnati) and Williamstown.

Besides making trips to that area over the next few years, a subset of which will be used to scout out living locations, I want to start integrating myself into the local gun community in advance. A quick internet search turns up only two full-time KY forums that I could find: Kentucky Gun Owners, and Kentucky Shooters, as well as a number of state-related sub-forums: Firearms Talk Kentucky Gun Forum, Handgun Forum, and Open Carry. Of those, KYGO seems to have more in it, based on a cursory review.

Anyone from that area know what's the right (best) MDS alternative for KY? Did I miss something in my search?

Thanks much.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I doubt there is one. If I had to guess, I'd say MDS is only so popular because of the insane shit Marylanders have to deal with regarding guns. Kentucky has better laws. Instead of reading posts, meet peope out shooting the way it is meant to happen.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    I doubt there is one. If I had to guess, I'd say MDS is only so popular because of the insane shit Marylanders have to deal with regarding guns. Kentucky has better laws. Instead of reading posts, meet peope out shooting the way it is meant to happen.

100% this. In a state like Kentucky there isn't such a need for folks like us to band together since the gun owning population is pretty much... EVERYONE.

No rules that you can't linger on MDS though. And from time to time I'll pop into the /r/guns sub reddit. But I normally find it pretty bland.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Whatever it is, it bet it's NOT KYShooters.

:innocent0

yes it is. Being at home and feeling brave, I googled it (cringe)

but this is what is found (it's a guns site)

http://www.kyshooters.com/

But given the number of gunsmiths, FFLs, doctors, lawyers and all sort of very smart and helpful users here, I agree there is not another forum like this one. Maybe the mods would consider a sub forum for all the other states in "The Neighborhood". Perhaps "The Neighborhood and Beyond"?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Even after you move to Kentucky, you'll be allowed on this forum. You'll just have to pay the out-of-state rate.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    That MDS has no equal is beyond doubt. This has been more than an internet forum; it's more like an extended family. My sincere thanks to DD214, the IPs, and the volunteer moderators who keep the lights on and the wheels running. And I get the political handicap under which we suffer which acts as a catalyst to fuel the discussion. But MDS is more than just 2A state politics. Indeed in just the last month alone, besides 2A politics I've posted on topics that include: generic politics, bike repair, climate change skepticism, pest control, drones, etc. etc. We have a community that shares a common interest, but we all have outside interests that fuel all sorts of interesting discussions, discussions I enjoy and value. I was hoping to find the same thing in Kentucky. I was also hoping a Kentucky expatriate would be amongst our midst who could weigh in and suggest where I might hang out online.

And don't fear; I'll still keep current on MDS. Lots of former MD residents have done the same once they've left the state. Besides, my move is still several years away. I'm just looking ahead, that's all.

Thanks.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    MD is a sanitary state, he'd just be an undocumented user.

He would just be a "new citizen." Welcome back!!!

But honestly there isn't a real equivalent. Anytime you search something md shooters, calgun and pafoa comes up. Either Google likes us or thinks is benign.

But it is likely due to the laws of this state and the fact that this is a state of reasonable people that follow laws.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    He would just be a "new citizen." Welcome back!!!

But honestly there isn't a real equivalent. Anytime you search something md shooters, calgun and pafoa comes up. Either Google likes us or thinks is benign.

But it is likely due to the laws of this state and the fact that this is a state of reasonable people that follow laws.

Regarding guns, you're spot on. CalGuns comes up as often as MDS. If you want a similarly diverse KY located community, you'll likely need to look outside of guns.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, MDS is on the short list of top state based gun forums.

I have at times gotten around the 'net to visit various gun sites. A state is doing good to have a forum active enough to be worth visiting more or less daily, as opposed ro weekly or monthly.

If you want a reasonably decent 'net home close to your new home, probably need to look to an adjacent state ; TN Gunowners and IN Gunowners are decent, albeit no MDS or Calguns.

Of course as mentioned, you would still be welcomed here at MDS, and the general firearms, gunsmithing, shooting, hunting, etc, and National 2A issuse are just as relevant everywhere.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Isn't VCDL in Virginia also pretty active? And they don't have our draconian gun laws.

I fear you're all correct and that I'll have to look outside of a firearms community. Too bad, because I have dozens of questions to ask, some gun related (e.g. what are good gun ranges/shops/smiths in the area, what local 2A politics need to be worked on, etc.) and others non-gun related (e.g. where are good places to live, entertainment/shopping/food options, traffic patterns, places to avoid, etc.) With several hundred square miles of possible places to plunk the next homestead, I thought having some northern KY residents offer their advice would optimize my selection process. We'll be out there for a week mid-summer for a ribbon cutting & I hoped to spend at least a day just scouting out general areas.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

BTW this thread has enhanced my appreciation of MDS all the more!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Given the number of internet gun retailers in Kentucky, you could probably ask one of them (e.g. Kentucky Gun company is where I would start before Bud's) if they serve as IPs for any KY 2A forums. I suspect that you won't find more than Google is already showing you, and the more active regional forums with likeminded individuals might be focused on different topics (e.g. camping, prepping, hunting) but also have a 2A component/subforum within them.

There's some notable YouTube personalities nearby in TN (e.g. Hickok45 and tnoutdoors), but I forget if any are located in KY (such as TwangNBang, 22plinkster, DemolitionRanch, etc) that might point you to a regional forum with an active firearms component if you left a comment/inquiry on one of their video pages.

Edit: here's one example ... http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/forum.php (albeit not nearly as active as MDS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom