• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    i Replaced the Slide on My old 1911 ....Now I would maybe have it Reparked...Any Recommended IP's for this Work? Thanks

Attachments

• 066.jpg
      066.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 272

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Thanks Reptile!

Just to ease the pain of other purists, I would not have had this classic reparkerized had it not been for the desert tan and black paint job over nickel plating. I got it for a good price and figured the collector value was already ruined. Now it's a great shooter and it looks great.

If you do decide to reparkerize it, let the folks know that you want little or no bead blasting so you can keep as much of the roll stamping as possible.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    If you want to see before and after photos, go to the industry partners forum, South Carroll Sporting Goods and find the Feb 29, 2016 thread Reparkerized 1943 Colt 1911A1.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Reptile that is the exact situation I am in. I was given this firearm but wouldn't do anything until My Brother Passed away....so now i will move forward. thanks for the post. i do Holsters and craft in Wood and Kydex as well as Leather.

Last edited:

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    You said the slide was way out of spec (the original one). It hurts to not have a gun like this in original form. What was wrong with the slide ? A good smith can get it back into spec.

Jul 1, 2012
    You said the slide was way out of spec (the original one). It hurts to not have a gun like this in original form. What was wrong with the slide ? A good smith can get it back into spec.

This frame had a Nic Plated Colt slide...

... the Colt slide was way out of spec possibly due to excessive Polishing prior to plating....

Between polishing & plating, the collector value was gone at that point and it may not have been the correct slide in the first place.
    A nickel-plated slide on a park'd frame = bleh anyway.
    Might as well get it looking good in addition to shooting good !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom