• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I've been thinking about snagging a 1919a4 parts kit for a while now. Are we still allowed to build semi autos outta these kits in the PRM, or did that go out the window with 281? Also, has anyone here ever built one? If so, how difficult are they to build? I feel like it would be worthwhile to do as a learning experience (and I really, really want a 1919, so that would be an added bonus :D )

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    It's not on the banned list. But keep in mind that a cloth belt that can hold more than ten rounds, as well as more than ten disintegrating metal links is considered a "high capacity magazine" and cannot be "received" in Maryland.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I've been thinking about snagging a 1919a4 parts kit for a while now. Are we still allowed to build semi autos outta these kits in the PRM, or did that go out the window with 281? Also, has anyone here ever built one? If so, how difficult are they to build? I feel like it would be worthwhile to do as a learning experience (and I really, really want a 1919, so that would be an added bonus :D )

Be sure to get the parts kit for 308 or another easy to get caliber...

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have purchased one and had it built by Richard formerly of Glade Valley Sporting Goods of Frederick... now he goes by Frederick Arsenal.

They are a lot of fun. They will turn some heads.

Do your research on tripods with a pintle and T&E mechanism. They can get pricey.

For the record I have had no issues getting belts or links. (and we will leave that statement be without explanation...) Loading the belts or links without mechanical assistance can be a pain in the ass.

Make sure you understand how to headspace the barrel. You will need to do it after each cleaning.

If you get a parts kit you will need to understand how to put it together, how to weld, how to rivet and you will need to get it parkerized or have a finish applied.

Good luck and have fun with it!!!

Chris

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I have purchased one and had it built by Richard formerly of Glade Valley Sporting Goods of Frederick... now he goes by Frederick Arsenal.

They are a lot of fun. They will turn some heads.

Do your research on tripods with a pintle and T&E mechanism. They can get pricey.

For the record I have had no issues getting belts or links. (and we will leave that statement be without explanation...) Loading the belts or links without mechanical assistance can be a pain in the ass.

Make sure you understand how to headspace the barrel. You will need to do it after each cleaning.

If you get a parts kit you will need to understand how to put it together, how to weld, how to rivet and you will need to get it parkerized or have a finish applied.

Good luck and have fun with it!!!

Chris

Greatly appreciate it! Although I am curious, what needs to be welded? From what I've read so far, it seems like everything can be put back together with rivets. Not including milling the F/A parts to be semi-auto, the most difficult part of this build will probably be finishing the metal once it's all said and done.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    It's not on the banned list. But keep in mind that a cloth belt that can hold more than ten rounds, as well as more than ten disintegrating metal links is considered a "high capacity magazine" and cannot be "received" in Maryland.

Actually no, I have discussed this with MSP and they agree a belt or links does not apply to the "magazine" capacity ban. A belt or links simply hold the ammunition while the top cover is the feeding device. A magazine is a spring loaded ammunition feeding device. Take it for what you will but belts should be exempt

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    IIRC, the BATFE wants the right side plate welded to the rest of the receiver or weld over the rivets. Something about rivets being too easy to drill out and replace the plate with one that will take full auto parts. I could be wrong.

Poke your head in over at weaponsguild.com and/or 1919a4.com. Two awesome resources on these great guns.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    IIRC, the BATFE wants the right side plate welded to the rest of the receiver or weld over the rivets. Something about rivets being too easy to drill out and replace the plate with one that will take full auto parts. I could be wrong.

Poke your head in over at weaponsguild.com and/or 1919a4.com. Two awesome resources on these great guns.

You no longer have to weld the plate

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Fun easy build. I did it with a pneumatic rivet gun and a bucking bar. It was hard to get the rivets to look nice so for my 50bmg build I got the toolman rivet jig off of 1919a4 and it works for both 50 and 30 cal. I may redo somee of my 1919 rivets with it. The internals are the hard part.
    Rivets
    http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?11...et-tools-Countersinks-and-Drill-bits-For-Sale

rivet jig

http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?51132-WTS-Plinkers-riveting-fixture

guy that did my internals

http://1919a4.com/member.php?15-30calmachinegunner

Attachments

• 1919 001.jpg
      1919 001.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 509
    • kshhot5.jpg
      kshhot5.jpg
      111.9 KB · Views: 505
    • 1123141349.jpg
      1123141349.jpg
      121.4 KB · Views: 415
    • m2 009.jpg
      m2 009.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 494
    • m2hb 107.jpg
      m2hb 107.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 442
    Last edited:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Greatly appreciate it! Although I am curious, what needs to be welded? From what I've read so far, it seems like everything can be put back together with rivets. Not including milling the F/A parts to be semi-auto, the most difficult part of this build will probably be finishing the metal once it's all said and done.

Truthfully...
    Not sure about the welding. Richard is a Machine Gun guy thru and thru so I trusted him to just build it.
    It looked good and works great so I did not question.

Chris

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Actually no, I have discussed this with MSP and they agree a belt or links does not apply to the "magazine" capacity ban. A belt or links simply hold the ammunition while the top cover is the feeding device. A magazine is a spring loaded ammunition feeding device. Take it for what you will but belts should be exempt
    Good to know; I stand corrected. I do know that some places refuse to ship cloth belts and links to the state of Maryland because of the 10 round magazine limit.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    First, go to 1919a4.com. Its one of the best internet forums out there!

Its a great build and lots of fun! NO welding is required (anymore). Rivets are easy to do! You can send your parts out to get machined. You can build one in your basement. Parkerizing is easy too!

My friend and I built 2 in 12.5hrs including parking!

My friend might also have a parts kits locally if you want to see before you buy!

Also check out the crank fire! The crank is really cool to have on this.

There are also 7.62x54r conversions out there. This would be worth doing if you want to put a lot of lead down range!

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Why build when you can buy? We should have an Ohio Ordnance 1919A4 .308 in tomorrow at some point. Comes with tripod, Pintle, and T&E. Stop in and check it out.
    10030-sa-1_2_.jpg

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Received my parts kit today! To say I'm excited is an understatement in the least :D I'll post some pictures as I get stuff cleaned up and what not, but I do have a question. Does anyone know where I can find decent exploded views for the A4? I'm basically missing the rear sight assembly, so I need to make sure I'm not missing anything else before contacting sarco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom