• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Is this ammo go or no go? Walmart seems to have it for decent prices. $10 for a 30 round box.

Im new to the 5.56/.233 ammo game, so im not sure what prices are considered good

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Honestly.... Its useless in my opinion unless you can't find anything else.

Let me explain.

It not high end precision loads.

Its not as cheap as tula and its not meant for hunting or self defense.

Therefore it falls into the high dollar target ammo category. Useless.

Steel cased tula or brown bear sells for $5/20 or .25/round

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have wondered that also but did not want to buy it without knowing someone who had ran it in their AR. Problem is that I don't know anyone who has ever bought it.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I have wondered that also but did not want to buy it without knowing someone who had ran it in their AR. Problem is that I don't know anyone who has ever bought it.

The only usual complaints I hear are gas piston guys who find trouble with some lots of steel cased ammo that have heavy amount of lacquer on the casings to prevent rusting. It fouls up the gas system pretty bad.

The ammo shoots fine, its just not very economical. Go to your LGS and compare prices. Duffies carries spam cans or ammo and at bulk you can get better deals.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Is this ammo go or no go? Walmart seems to have it for decent prices. $10 for a 30 round box.

Im new to the 5.56/.233 ammo game, so im not sure what prices are considered good

Dude it's a decent deal, buy it! Steel ammo doesn't run correctly in every gun, if you have a high end AR that's built to strict tolerances stay away from steel. Ask 10 people get 10 different answers, no matter how you cut if your shooting brass and not ordering online it's as good as it will get for now...

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    The only thing that worried me was everytime I go in there to buy handgun ammo, they have lots of it. Looks like its never being bought.

I will only be using the ammo for range/fun shooting, so I dont need super high quality ammo as far as accuracy is concerned.

montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I bought five boxes of it today at one of the Frederick Wal-Marts. Proceeded to open one of the boxes to find out it's brass cased.
    Took one box to the range with me and it shot as well as any other non-match grade stuff.
    As far as using for HD, I sure wouldn't want to be shot with it...

For $10 per 30rnd box plus tax I'll stack some in my safe whenever I make a trip to Wal-Mart.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Ah. Magnetic is no good for me. I do a lot of shooting at freestate and they run a magnet over the ammo

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    Yup, I bought it when it was on sale. I noticed the box didn't say anything about the style bullet so I grabbed a magnet and sure enough it stuck. So now it's sitting on a shelf.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Ok, the magnetic comments made me curious- what's wrong with that?

Can't shoot it at indoor ranges like Freestate.

Walmart has the 7.62 x 51 on sale 9.99 for 20. I picked up 100rds today. Does anyone have experience with this. The price was just too good to pass up. 50 cpr for brass cased. I have not seen that for a long time.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Can't shoot it at indoor ranges like Freestate.

Walmart has the 7.62 x 51 on sale 9.99 for 20. I picked up 100rds today. Does anyone have experience with this. The price was just too good to pass up. 50 cpr for brass cased. I have not seen that for a long time.

I bought some as well but I haven't had a chance to test it. Produced in Turkey and supposedly loaded to NATO specs, it seems to get decent reviews for punching paper. For $.50/ round and reloadable brass, it sounds like a good deal to me. Load details and reviews http://m14forum.com/ammunition/150851-zq1-zq-ammo-7-62x51-turkey-walmart.html

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Last price at Denton Walmart was $9.97 for the 30 round box. Might be worth it to give it a try now.

EDIT: this was for the 5.56 boxes not the 7.62

Last edited:

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I bought some a while back. No problems firing in my ar. Worked as well as anything else I've shot.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Might be a stupid question but, Are all 5.56 nato rounds steel core?
    No. There are two primary types of 5.56x45 that fail magnet tests:
    1. M855 - this has a steel tip penetrator, but is not actually steel core.
    2. Steel-cased - tends to use either a soft steel core or a bimetal jacket. Note: there is non-magnetic steel-cased ammo.

True AP ammo is expensive and rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom