• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Let me try to help with this.

First, make sure that the 1100 is unloaded/empty of all shells.

Pull the operating handle back, and let it lock in the open position.

Remove the forend cap and forend.
    Remove the barrel.

Look inside the barrel band and count the number of holes that pass between the barrel band and the barrel.

I'll wager that there is ONE (1) hole.

This indicates that the barrel is designed for ONLY the 3" shells and 2-3/4" 'magnum' shells, as you've described.

Now, what CHOKE is the barrel??? Is it a fixed choke, or is it a RemChoke barrel???????

In 1983, I bought a Remington 1100 Magnum.
    This particular 1100 Magnum is a fluke. It shoots EVERYTHING from light 2-3/4" shells, to the heaviest 3" shells, interchangeably!!!
    The barrel is a 30" VR barrel with a fixed choke.
    The barrel is stamped "Full", but, it's actually choked "Extra Full"!!!!

I'll wager the whole issue is that you only have one gas port in that barrel, and that's why it will not cycle 'light' loads.

Changing the O-ring won't help..... for long.
    Changing/modifying the Carrier Assembly will NOT help.

The whole issue is gas pressure (or lack thereof) used to push the bolt back, against the resistance from the recoil spring.
    The gas pressure from the light loads is not enough to cycle the action, completely.
    Also do NOT try to enlarge the gas port.
    Do NOT try to drill another gas port. (I've seen where some have tried this, and have really boogered up a nice 1100.)

Your BEST option is to buy a replacement barrel chambered for 2-3/4" shells only, and use the barrel you have now, for 3" shells.
    (My 30" VR barrel hasn't been on my 1100 in years!!! I put a 24" Hastings barrel with choke-tubes, and this 1100 is PERFECTION!!!)

:thumbsup:
    This is the same information Remington gave me on my 1100 Magnum!

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Thanks for all the responses you guys! Just an update, tried shooting it again today with goose loads, every round chambered on its own. Had a damn good time with it and earned one helluva sore shoulder! :D

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    If it worked with light loads before make sure you clean the gas port hole in the barrel. Mine was caked with powder residue. A good cleaning with Hoppes and fine pipe cleaner got mine to work with light loads again.

Walt

Jan 28, 2013
    Low brass bird shot will not cycle any 1100 magnum I have ever seen. I know it wont cycle either of ours and we have a 12ga and a 20ga LW and both guns are around 20ish years old. Clean or not has never made a difference with either of ours. Throw a high brass shell in them and they cycle fine. This has always been fine for us because we never under any circumstances have any reason to ever shoot low power low brass shells. We dont shoot trap. They are used strictly for hunting so we have no need for low brass trap loads.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Low brass bird shot will not cycle any 1100 magnum I have ever seen. I know it wont cycle either of ours and we have a 12ga and a 20ga LW and both guns are around 20ish years old. Clean or not has never made a difference with either of ours. Throw a high brass shell in them and they cycle fine. This has always been fine for us because we never under any circumstances have any reason to ever shoot low power low brass shells. We dont shoot trap. They are used strictly for hunting so we have no need for low brass trap loads.

High brass...... Low brass, makes NO difference IF you're shooting handloads. This ONLY makes a difference IF you're shooting factory loads.

Case in point - I load all of my own 12 ga shells.
    For this past Turkey season, I loaded a 1-1/2 oz load of #5 shot in old Winchester AA cases, using W-571 powder (now discontinued).
    This load is a 2-3/4" Magnum load.
    The cases are old (once fired, however) AA Trap cases.
    This load shot extremely well, and patterned extremely well from a Remington 1100 w/ a 22" Competition Master barrel on it.

The ammo factories only use High brass/Low brass to denote field loads from target loads.

If you want to see an 1100 Magnum that will interchangeably shoot 2-3/4" 'light' 1 oz to 1-1/8 oz Trap loads and 3" 1-5/8 to 2 oz #2 copperplate loads, my 1100 will do it, with the factory barrel. (See my post, above.)
    Factory loads or handloads....... it makes no difference.

roger8918

Nov 14, 2010
    Let me try to help with this. I've been around the Remington 1100 for many, many, many years. In fact, my 1100 Magnum is my absolute favorite scattergun!! With that shotgun, "If it flies.... it dies!" (At least that's what my friends say, when we're together, and I have that wonderful scattergun with me!)

First, make sure that the 1100 is unloaded/empty of all shells.

Pull the operating handle back, and let it lock in the open position.

Remove the forend cap and forend.
    Remove the barrel.

Look inside the barrel band and count the number of holes (gas ports) that pass between the barrel band and the barrel.

I'll wager that there is ONE (1) hole.

This indicates that the barrel is designed for ONLY the 3" shells and 2-3/4" 'magnum' shells, as you've described.

Now, what CHOKE is the barrel??? Is it a fixed choke, or is it a RemChoke barrel???????

In 1983, I bought a Remington 1100 Magnum.
    This particular 1100 Magnum is a fluke. It shoots EVERYTHING from light 2-3/4" shells, to the heaviest 3" shells, interchangeably!!!
    The barrel is a 30" VR barrel with a fixed choke.
    The barrel is stamped "Full", but, it's actually choked "Extra Full"!!!!

I'll wager the whole issue is that you only have one gas port in that barrel, and that's why it will not cycle 'light' loads.

Changing the O-ring won't help..... for long. (It MAY seal tight enough to shoot a couple of boxes.... most likely not, but then, it will short cycle, again.)
    Changing/modifying the Carrier Assembly will NOT help. All the Carrier Assembly does, is accept the round from the magazine and lift it to the chamber, so that the bolt can put the round into the chamber. It has NOTHING to do with extracting/ejecting a fired shell.

The whole issue is gas pressure (or lack thereof) used to push the bolt back, against the resistance from the recoil spring.
    The gas pressure from the light loads is not enough to cycle the action, completely.
    Also do NOT try to enlarge the gas port.
    Do NOT try to drill another gas port. (I've seen where some have tried this, and have really boogered up a nice 1100.)

Your BEST option is to buy a replacement barrel chambered for 2-3/4" shells only, and use the barrel you have now, for 3" shells.
    (My 30" VR barrel hasn't been on my 1100 in years!!! I put a 24" Hastings barrel with choke-tubes, and this 1100 is PERFECTION!!!)

ETA: Link to conversation about O-rings:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131427

I have two 1100 Magnums and I agree with byf43. If you want to shoot light target loads get a 2 3/4" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom