• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    If I suspect a squib I shine a light(Streamlight Stylus Pro) from the muzzle to the breech. You do not have to see the light directly, it will light the breach face.If you don't see light, there is an obstruction. I do not look down the bore from the muzzle, that makes other folks at the range nervous.
    Seeing that fine Smith and Wesson in pieces like that is very sad
    DocAitch

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    A squib killed Bruce Lee's son while filming a movie which was the fault of the guy preparing the firearm.

I"ve never had a squib but on a semi auto pistol, is a squib going to not cycle the next round?

Saving money often sucks.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    ...I"ve never had a squib but on a semi auto pistol, is a squib going to not cycle the next round?

Maybe. Probably not, but maybe. A while back I did some REALLLLLY LIGHT .45ACP loads with 230 grain total jacketed (load them like lead) bullets and possibly :innocent0 lower than recommended minimum Bullseye powder. (The things that carpal tunnel-having folks do to keep shooting...) They crony'd out at around 112FPS (850 is standard ball), had to be held WAY high, and once I figured out where to aim: three holes at 50 yards was 2 1/2 bullets wide. If I pointed the barrel up before each shot, the powder would cover the flash hole and the bullet would fly. If not, it would get stuck. Sometimes they would cycle. I kept a wooden dowl in my box: drop the mag, verify chamber clear, close the slide and lock the safety on, drop the dowl down the bore and push the bullet back to the chamber. (The first two or three I visually checked the barrel, after that I just cleared and continued.)

I will not say how little powder I used because if anybody else's gun is different it could potentially have problems. I gradually worked down and accepted any possible risk in relation to the reward. I don't recommend this for everybody.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I carry a Number 2 pencil for use as a Squid Rod. Works just fine to drive it out too.
    Maybe you can get the same pistol that has an issue with the frame or lock up.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I see a lot of rust on the cross section of inner barrel. I don't think I would have passed a bullet through that barrel period. Looks like it had a previous issue to begin with.

It also looks like the first bullet went down the barrel backasswards.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    A squib killed Bruce Lee's son while filming a movie which was the fault of the guy preparing the firearm.

Yes, while a "squib" may have killed Brandon Lee, its not the same squib we're talking about here. The movie industry calls a small explosive charge a squib. There was one in the grocery bag he was holding to simulate it blowing apart as someone shot at him with blanks (to look like bullets hitting the bag I guess.) IIRC, Something from the bag hit him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom