• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    How's the bore?

Not being funny; if that surface rust is the biggest problem, that'd be a great project gun. Something urban tactical; matte black, synthetic stock...

Yeah, from a collector's standpoint it might be f'd, but it could still end up as a good beater/camp rifle.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'd say to heck w/ the existing bluing and use evapo-rust (avail at harbor freight and some auto parts stores.) It will safely remove all the rust (and bluing) w/o eating into the good metal. Get a long thin tray (or makeshift w/ a heavy garbage bag), fill it full evaporust and let gun sit in it overnight. Its NOT an acid so you can leave it in there a LONG time. Any phosphoric acid rust remover (ospho) will slowly eat the good metal too so you can't let them sit.

Rust has a LOT more volume than steel. And to be honest that doesn't look too bad/fluffy. So, I think you'd be surprised how good the underlying metal is if you remove the rust safely.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Thanks for the WORDS GUYS,and Advice I will go to Home Depot And Check out that rescue Compound,May be like the Older product called Naval jelly.I guess The Wire Wheel would also work but i hate to do it.It was stored in the lower level of a split Level home....He also stated something about a flood(Burst Pipe) Trickg Did you find that 1955 date?

That's what I was thinking. Mine was in your standard "pleather" zip up case for years (decades actually) and there was never a problem.

Here you go.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Thanks Guys ...I got it Open, Inside Action looks New ...Hope Bore is the Same...Definately be the new Beater/Scabbard Rifle! I have been thinking of getting set up to do Ceracoat...So this may push me over the edge,I might drop the front Sight Cover in that Compound to try it Out!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I know something that will take the rust off. It will strip the bue as well but at this point I don't see the harm.

Its call evapo rust. Ill post a pic or two of what it was able to do for me in a sec.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    20130327_180232_zps66af96a0.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Some old dies before evapo rust
    20130403_104608_zps99fc779e.jpg
    [/IMG]
    After evapo rust. No buffing just 12 hour soak.
    20130331_140254_zpsd035b512.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Badly rustet butt plate. I only put it half way into to solution so you could see the difference.

You can find it at auto zone and a largw jug is only 20 bucks. I got some reloading equipement and the press and powder measure were locked up tight and sosome dies badly rusted. This stuff brought them back to life!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Here's pics of a Yuasa precision rotary table I bought at an auction for ~$20 before and after evaporust. (BTW, its a $7000(!) tool new.) There is some very light pitting but the overall surface is still very accurate and didn't need a regrind. The evaporust pulled the rust off the iron and did NOT attack the rest of the surface. This is VERY important to this table as some surfaces are ground and scraped to better than one ten thousandth of an inch. All I did was COMPLETELY submerge it overnight in a makeshift container (inverted trashcan lid and a heavy duty garbage bag.) The stuff is straight up FANTASTIC.

BTW, naval jelly is phosphoric acid. Ospho is just a brand name. That will attack good metal too.

Attachments

• IMAG0052_yuasa_table_before_resize800.jpg
      IMAG0052_yuasa_table_before_resize800.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 189
    • IMAG0058_yuasa_table_after_resize800.jpg
      IMAG0058_yuasa_table_after_resize800.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 206
    • IMAG0059_yuasa_table_after_resize800.jpg
      IMAG0059_yuasa_table_after_resize800.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 212

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    Looks just like my circa 1960 Winchester, without the rust of course. :D

Mine has been stored in its whool lined case its entire life, still looks new. They don't make them like that anymore. Brings a tear to my eye.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wow I have stored a few rifles in marginal situations for years never saw anything like that

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    It's but a flesh wound!

Seriously, that's a downright shame but I hope you can get it back to useful condition! Let us know the result PLEASE!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Here's pics of a Yuasa precision rotary table I bought at an auction for ~$20 before and after evaporust. (BTW, its a $7000(!) tool new.) There is some very light pitting but the overall surface is still very accurate and didn't need a regrind. The evaporust pulled the rust off the iron and did NOT attack the rest of the surface. This is VERY important to this table as some surfaces are ground and scraped to better than one ten thousandth of an inch. All I did was COMPLETELY submerge it overnight in a makeshift container (inverted trashcan lid and a heavy duty garbage bag.) The stuff is straight up FANTASTIC.

BTW, naval jelly is phosphoric acid. Ospho is just a brand name. That will attack good metal too.

WOW!

Curious---no idea what that table is used for?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Doesn't matter.... point is Evapo rust is some bad @ss stuff. Best thing is its non toxic. You can handle it with bare hands and you can reuse it until it turns completely black.

I'm curious what the table is tok though ;-)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Its a yuasa 550-212. A 12" diameter rotary table for a milling machine (which I have a few of:innocent0.) For cutting arcs and indexing holes/patterns on manual mills. It has a maximum cumulative rotary error of 45sec (0.0125deg) = 0.0013" max at the periphery. What makes that one really unique is it also inclines/tilts precisely for doing really tricky operations.

I bought it to convert to a 4th and 5th axes on a cnc which I might also happen to have.:D But really just that when I heard bidding stall at $15 I thought, there is no way Im letting even an ugly yuasa table go for that low, raised my paddle and was surprised when the other two guys didn't bid again. I didn't know it was worth so much new. I had just started using evaporust and was surprised it worked so well. I had assumed I was going to have to get it $$$ reground. For the last year I've been a walking commercial for them;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom