• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Maryland clearly has not yet thrown off The Crown.

Well, that's because it fits so well. Comfortable, even! Keeps the rain and the rural constituents from wrecking the legislative dry cleaning.

View attachment 332702

Attachments

• the_crown.jpg
      the_crown.jpg
      102.4 KB · Views: 256

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    From the brief on page 11: "Third, with respect to Kevin Hulbert’s claims, the right to record law enforcement officers is not a clearly established First Amendment right."

This thinking strikes at the very core of why Maryland is not, in fact, "The Free State". Are things permitted if they are not explicitly forbidden by the Constitution, or are they forbidden unless explicitly permitted by the Constitution? Freedom and Liberty demand the first interpretation; tyrants demand the second. Maryland clearly has not yet thrown off The Crown.

I'd get a good laugh if this becomes the vehicle that makes the 4th circuit consider filming public officials a 1A right. IIRC 6 other circuits ruled that it was part of 1A rights and only the 8th circuit denied that one has the right to film public officials in public doing their job.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    In Jeff's memory i hope this goes in a way where some things can be exposed. I pray the legal can is not kicked down the road for multiple years because the state works with our tax money and have an unlimited resource.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    From the state's brief:
    "Groups can obtain a permit for
    demonstrations in Lawyers’ Mall; a permit is optional and not required, but
    possession of a permit will give priority to the permitted group if another, nonpermitted
    group shows up at the same time."

How many people from disfavored organizations have been ticketed for being in Lawyers Mask without a permit over the years?

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    In Jeff's memory i hope this goes in a way where some things can be exposed. I pray the legal can is not kicked down the road for multiple years because the state works with our tax money and have an unlimited resource.

I agree; sadly this is a too-often abused tool by governments: bleed the plaintiffs dry of money and of time by delaying things as long as possible, all from the bottomless pit of taxpayer dollars.

It was wise of Jeff and Kevin to allow MSI to come onboard as co-plaintiffs in the case, thus ensuring that the case survives both Jeff and Kevin. (And hopefully Kevin will be with us for a long, long time into the future.)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    From the brief on page 11: "Third, with respect to Kevin Hulbert’s claims, the right to record law enforcement officers is not a clearly established First Amendment right."

This thinking strikes at the very core of why Maryland is not, in fact, "The Free State". Are things permitted if they are not explicitly forbidden by the Constitution, or are they forbidden unless explicitly permitted by the Constitution? Freedom and Liberty demand the first interpretation; tyrants demand the second. Maryland clearly has not yet thrown off The Crown.

10th Amendment

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Apparently the AG has forgotten the outcome of Maryland v Graber(2010) about public video recording of LE.

Or an opinion, by then AG Dougie Gansler, advising a state legislator that, contrary to the claims of Harford County State's Attorney Joseph Cassilly, a traffic stop is not an instance where a police officer can claim a reasonable expectation of privacy. (Rosenberg was the legislator asking for clarification).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Graber was in state court, so no precedential holdings affecting the federal questions at issue here, but it is to abandon what they’d probably defend for other plaintiffs because guns bad.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    From the state's brief:
    "Groups can obtain a permit for
    demonstrations in Lawyers’ Mall; a permit is optional and not required, but
    possession of a permit will give priority to the permitted group if another, nonpermitted
    group shows up at the same time."

How many people from disfavored organizations have been ticketed for being in Lawyers Mask without a permit over the years?

So the state admits right there that a permit is not required and yet they arrested Jeff and claimed he needed a permit.
    I hope the state gets kicked square in the nut sack and that Jeff is smiling from above.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Has anyone actually listened to this?

"....the Lieutenant Governor is at the Miller Senate office building and is going to walk back to the State House at some point. Don't want them to give him a bunch of stuff for whatever reason."

I'm not sure which I am more shocked by, the fact that someone thought that the PP would harass Boyd Rutherford or the cavalier way that the Capitol Police dispatch knew exactly what this guy meant for them to do when he made the call.

So who made the call? Someone in the Mansion who handles these types of things? Someone on Rutherford's security detail?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Apparently the AG has forgotten the outcome of Maryland v Graber(2010) about public video recording of LE.

Or an opinion, by then AG Dougie Gansler, advising a state legislator that, contrary to the claims of Harford County State's Attorney Joseph Cassilly, a traffic stop is not an instance where a police officer can claim a reasonable expectation of privacy. (Rosenberg was the legislator asking for clarification).

Wasn't that the case about the motorcyclist and the plain clothes/ unmarked car state trooper who didn't identify himself despite having his gun out when he grabbed the bike's bars? Then more Troopers swatted the motorcyclist when he posted the video on YouTube?

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Has anyone actually listened to this?

"....the Lieutenant Governor is at the Miller Senate office building and is going to walk back to the State House at some point. Don't want them to give him a bunch of stuff for whatever reason."

I'm not sure which I am more shocked by, the fact that someone thought that the PP would harass Boyd Rutherford or the cavalier way that the Capitol Police dispatch knew exactly what this guy meant for them to do when he made the call.

So who made the call? Someone in the Mansion who handles these types of things? Someone on Rutherford's security detail?
    I'm dying to know who made that call as well.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wasn't that the case about the motorcyclist and the plain clothes/ unmarked car state trooper who didn't identify himself despite having his gun out when he grabbed the bike's bars? Then more Troopers swatted the motorcyclist when he posted the video on YouTube?

Yep, that's the one.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Not that this is persuasive or binding in any way, but my eyes caught the plan adopted by the Baltimore City Police Department in regards to how officers respond to protests, demonstrations, and other First Amendment-protected activities. Interestingly, they observe the existence of a 1A right to record the police.

https://www.baltimorepolice.org/tra...lic-order-forces-standard-operating-procedure

I've been following US v. BPD, the consent decree case, and happened to catch this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 05.51.31.jpg
      Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 05.51.31.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 292

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads