• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    While we are on this topic, any specific thoughts on the unistrut jig? I have enough length I was planning to cut two sections specific to the length of the g3 (which will be just silly in pistol configuration) and mp5. I’m welding a six inch section to the ends 90* to the main length for the 20mm rod to ride in vertically, and using 1/4 all thread through the alignment holes in the flats.

I also have the 3D jig fully printed for cetme size receivers and am printing an alternative half today that will make the jig align with mp5 holes. I have seen positive reviews of both methods, but in the off chance anyone has tried both and can give a comparison of pros/cons....

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Sit rep:

HKP won so it went first. Attempted the 3D jig. Warning: it will not work for mp5 style due to the internal mount of the shell deflector. I made a relief for it thinking I was smart and then realized as it was half bent that dog wouldn’t hunt, it would keep the mandrel locked in the bent frame.

That said, I’m impatient and said F it and tossed it in my length of unistrut with a simple 20mm hardened steel rod on top. Twenty minutes of shaping for a couple high spots, some clamps a few spot welds later and, viola, drop test success. (Yes I need to dress that weld that will sit under the trunnion - kid came out and distracted me...)

I’m not giving up on the 3D jig yet, it actually held up darn good, and for a cetme/g3/etc pattern there is no internally mounted shell deflector.

Last edited:

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    Sit rep:

HKP won so it went first. Attempted the 3D jig. Warning: it will not work for mp5 style due to the internal mount of the shell deflector. I made a relief for it thinking I was smart and then realized as it was half bent that dog wouldn’t hunt, it would keep the mandrel locked in the bent frame.

I bit the bullet and picked up one the insanely priced HKP versions. It has the relief milled out and worked pretty well.

Attachments

• 20211205_120114.jpg
      20211205_120114.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 163

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Nice! I may pick one up for future flats; but the unistrut method w/ 20mm bar was surprisingly effective. And the triple taco 3D mandrel from WG is also very good.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Kraut space magic, or how I learned to stop worrying and love roller delayed...

(Ended up parkerizing and top coating with Molyresin; internal parts then got the oil bath.)

Attachments

• D9AD9592-A598-4F03-A7FE-BE00DB0D621D.jpg
      D9AD9592-A598-4F03-A7FE-BE00DB0D621D.jpg
      133 KB · Views: 117
    • FA041E8A-A331-452F-B0AC-0A13A3A7B309.jpg
      FA041E8A-A331-452F-B0AC-0A13A3A7B309.jpg
      155.4 KB · Views: 123

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Although not super recent, there are some good sight solutions here:

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/mp5-red-dots-mounts-and-co-witness-thread.441609/

Cheers! I was looking real hard at the M8 Industries mount, but at the end of the day my eyes much prefer a proper sized window. Settled on an MRO HD (I love donuts of death) on a Scalar mount that will let me still have irons below the optic. I thought the MRO wasn’t compatible with my astigmatism based on one I put on a Scorpion, but it turns out that tweaking the intensity (rather than just turning it up to 11) saves the day.The good Lord willing I’ll have a range report by weeks end!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    So basically a Special Weapons/Cohaire SP10 w/ goofy trigger group? :) It was an injection molded MP5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom