• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I managed to break the charging handle on my DPMS AR308 upper. No problem, I'll just pick up a new one, right? Boy, was I surprised at the range of prices for them. What more can a $100+ handle do that a $20 - $30 handle can't? Besides not break as easily - and it didn't break "easily." :D

I'm not competing, 3-gun, run-and-gun or anything like that; just casual target shooting, usually from a bench.

Thanks

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most of them will work, but better handles deflect gas exiting from gaps in the upper, give larger handles, ambi latches, or incorporate the latch into the ears so you don't have a separate latch peice to grab. For standard handles you basically charge by reaching over the top 2 fingers on each side and pull, or pinch the left side with fingers and rack. Something like a Radian raptor is much easier to grab and rack from either side. I put them on everything.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If you want an ambi get ready to pay for both arms (pun intended).

If you want anything non-standardized in the already non-standardized AR-10/LR-308 market, you're going to pay at minimum an arm and a leg.

If you want just something that works, go for the cheapest option.

If you want gas deflection, get larger safety glasses or get ready to pay for something else non-standardized even if it's only slightly different than stock.

I personally can't stand the stock charging handle latch on both the AR-15 and 10, so I throw a Strike Industries extended latch on all mine, or splurge on a Radian Raptor when they're on sale. Bonus with the Strike latch- it's aluminum and doesn't scrape your upper up like nearly every other latch on the market.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I used BCM ambi charging handles for my AR-15s, but they don't make them in AR-10 size. So I went with this:

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar10-breach-ambi-charging-handle-w-large-lever-black

Yeah, it is pricey, but it is easier to get at if you have optics over your charging handle. There are cheaper options, but buy once cry once. YMMV

Q

They had big problems with the ends breaking off of the early batches. IMO they are less refined and potentially less robust than the Raptor

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I don't have an AR-10, but on my AR-15's I mostly prefer standard charging handles. My rifles are typically set up for over the shoulder sling carry and I find the standard charging handles less "snaggy" and less "pokey." I like the Strike ARCH handles.

The one exception is the rifle with a large target scope, which has a moderately extended latch handle, a Strike ARCH EL.

When I get some cans for the AR pistols I may end up getting gas busters.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm continually amazed when I see people throw tons of cash at high dollar options for their ARs.

If I ever need to replace the charging handle on either of mine, I'll do a pretty inexpensive option from someplace that's at least halfway reputable.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I'm continually amazed when I see people throw tons of cash at high dollar options for their ARs.

If I ever need to replace the charging handle on either of mine, I'll do a pretty inexpensive option from someplace that's at least halfway reputable.

I guess we just don’t know what we don’t know. Hmm do I need to add a CH to my spare parts bin. :(

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    If it cost more it has to be better right? I have some cheap and pricey ones . I like the bigger handle so to speak . Other than that they all work . Far from an expert . When I built in my mind a top shelf rifle I used again in my mind the best parts I could buy . My others rifles work just as well also without bells and whistles. Again no expert.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Radian was kind of the first "premium" ambi CH to market, but that said, many others make good handles that are cheaper.

Aero comes to mind as a good option. BCM CH's have become my favorite at the price point. DD makes one as well.

Do buy one from a reputable brand, though. There are definitely some cool looking, but exceptionally crappy ambi CH's out there...

Also, I have found most of those "gas busting" charging handles to be mostly smoke and mirrors. Those extra vents in the handle do not do much. Properly buffering your rifle is the correct answer to gas-to-face mitigation. The only useful feature for this is that some gas busting Ch's will have a taller rear lip that interfaces with the rear of the upper.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

One doesn’t know a good trigger until they feel a good trigger. Same here with the charging handles. Some may purchase because “ambi must be good”. Some select them for real need or preference.

I found out I actually prefer a side charger. I found out I don’t prefer a reciprocating charging handle. I tried the larger ambi charging handles because I can just move my head to the side much less by swiping the extended latch. With optics, especially LPVO’s, as alucard pointed out, no need to reach all the way over to get two fingers on the charging handle.

So the options are there, its not just being willing to spend a lot for a trendy gizmo. We chose according to our experiences, preferences and, of course, our budget.

In the interim I have been looking at non-reciprocating side charger options.

Cwarnick

Oct 16, 2020
    ar15 world... I use strike industries latch less as well, as I'm not hard on mine yet.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-latchless-charging-handle-black

if i needed a reliability queen i would go Geissele airborne on sale/blem. (seems they were quite cheap as blems)
    https://geissele.com/airborne-charging-handle-5-56-black.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gundeals/c...airborne_charging_handle_556_black_blem_6580/

maybe the smaller headed Radian Raptor-SL.
    https://www.radianweapons.com/en/accessories/charging-handles/60603

I'm still debating what to get for my 308 build now...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

While I know it is tempting to go cheaper on a CH, realize that a broken CH can deadline your gun about as fast as a broken bolt. Had it happen to me in a class. Not fun.

Also would point out that lefties really do get good use from these ambi CHs. My son is a lefty. I watched him struggle with a standard CH while trying to run a PCC. It wasn't fun to see.

I use BCMs and Raptors pretty extensively on my AR-15s and AR-308s. I'm running the Odin Works XCH on the Aero that is my heavy metal gun.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sig’s ambi CH, don't recall its trade name, was about 50-60% the cost of a Raptor. Decent handle, I have no idea of the price now.

Yeah they look like the early options before the form and function options hit the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom