• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Have seen a definite drop off in the local squirrel population here in Northern St Marys county. Anyone else? Huge acorn and hickory drop and going untouched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Same in my area of Frederick Co. I think they have population cycles. Couple years ago they were all over the place.

Yeah I’ve seen some dips over the 20 years I’ve been here but nothing like this. Lucky if I see one or two a week now. Have seen more hawks and eagles though. Might have to actually work for some squirrels for the stew pot this winter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have seen very few at work until the past two weeks. Weather is cooler and squirrels are more active and also the ground is full of acorns here. At work we have over 50,000 acres and more deer and turkeys than squirrels though. Seems right after daylight the tree rats are out

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Have seen a definite drop off in the local squirrel population here in Northern St Marys county. Anyone else? Huge acorn and hickory drop and going untouched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The squirrels are all in my yard here in Waldorf. My poor lil dog's working overtime chasin' them lil f*ckers!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Noticed it in Hollywood also but attributed it to some feral cats. I did see a big fat one on Thursday afternoon though

The local squirrel population is down and this well-nourished cat has been hanging around for a few weeks. Just sayin’.

Attachments

• B042B24B-B59D-47FB-90D7-72BDA6DD8DD1.jpeg
      B042B24B-B59D-47FB-90D7-72BDA6DD8DD1.jpeg
      27.2 KB · Views: 1,147

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ~50 may or may not have died of lead poisoning on my property last winter after chewing through wiring on my electronic shocks and in the engine compartment of my Raptor truck 2x... $1200 fix

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I was wondering where they were all summer. I don't think I saw a one near my house for months.

Two or three weeks ago they returned. I mean, they are everywhere.

Where were they for months? On vacation?

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    They are in my yard December thru August. Shortly before bow season the deer corn goes out about 300yds from our property line. I’m guessing deer corn is easier than stealing from my garden and chicken feed.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    There has been a bumper crop of nuts this year. Way more than last year, which can also make the squirrel population seem smaller.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    No noticeable drop in the squirrel population here in WashCo. They've been in the trees all summer and are now taking their chances on the ground vs. our really prey-driven American Bulldog in the fenced in area. All over outside the fence as well. They've been giving me something to watch on hunting days when the deer decide to no show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom