• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Had some time to cast up a few 12 gauge slugs from my 525 grain Lyman slug mold, a week ago or so. Put together a few different loads, to see what my gun would like best. My slug gun is a H&R, single shot with a rifled barrel
    Glad to say, I found a load my gun likes.
    Here are some pictures of my slugs I casted, a one of my target. Obvious, the smaller holes in the target are not from my slug gun, they are from a 300 blackout, that been a pain to cast and reload for. More work needs to be done on that one.

This slug load is sending a 525 grain slug at 1590 FPS, and has a muzzle energy of 2,947 foot pounds. In other words, it kills on both ends.

Attachments

• E0F070F5-F4CF-4D0E-8B44-A59F91FE5ACC.jpg
      E0F070F5-F4CF-4D0E-8B44-A59F91FE5ACC.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 270
    • 2674816D-4DD5-44BC-A5DE-C478132B9986.jpg
      2674816D-4DD5-44BC-A5DE-C478132B9986.jpg
      37.8 KB · Views: 249

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Pretty, it’s like a giant pellet. How’s the lead fouling. Curious if they’re safe to shoot through a smooth bore and accuracy.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Pretty, it’s like a giant pellet. How’s the lead fouling. Curious if they’re safe to shoot through a smooth bore and accuracy.

Yes, that’s what they remind me of as well, a huge pellet. Lol.
    These are perfectly safe to shoot through a smooth bore. accuracy, I’m not sure.
    These slugs load into a regular shot wad, a WWA12, to be exact. They are a crip fold, so they look just like a regular shotshell.
    Not sure if I can post load data on here or not, but it’s a published load, and can be found in the Lyman shotshell reloading book.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

Sorry, I didn’t address the leading issue. No leading what so ever. Since they are in a shot wad, the lead slug itself, is protected from the barrel. Just like shooting any standard shotshell.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Perfectly safe to shoot thru a smoothbore .

I haven't fired the OP's loads , and every shotgun has its own preferences , but from general knowledge , those should be at least as accurate as conventional Foster style slugs .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom