• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I figured I would ask this question here since there seems to be a good amount of experience in MDShooters on people moving out of state and getting new jobs.

So I’ve been trying to move to Raleigh, NC for a while but am having no luck in getting my foot in the door with any companies down there. I’ve sent my resume to a bunch of different companies but I haven’t gotten anything back in response.

I’m a mechanical engineer with 5 years of experience and I don’t think the problem is my presentation/resume because I have recruiters and companies calling me weekly to talk about local MD opportunities.

Could the problem be that no one wants to hire an out of state employee and would it be in my best interest to just roll the dice and move there with no job lined up?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am somewhat stuck right now.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Do you have a wife and kids? If you do, its tough not having a job. If you are single, what are you waiting for? Go. You could always pick up something to get you thru till something good comes along. If it got too bad, come back. The main thing for me would be family.

Good luck.:)

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Just a WAG, but I'd say it's your out of state status and your experience. To be frank, there's probably a large pool of 5 year engineers already down there...no reason to take a chance on the same person 2 states away.

Sorry but, staying put to get more experience, or moving down there might be your options.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    5 years is a tough mark for engineering. most companies either want new hires, or 10-15 years in the companies specific field. Raleigh is also not a huge hub for engineering in general. the job market is pretty hot here in the DC region. if there are specific companies you are interested in, is there a company locally that you could do work more similar to what you are looking for down there? broaden your skillset for another year or 2.

also, do some investigation about the companies you are looking at. how are they doing financially? are they growing? do they have government contracts that are up or they are bidding on?

can you be a little more specific about mechanical engineering, its the most broad background you can have in engineering (from rocket scientist to broom closet manager).

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    can you be a little more specific about mechanical engineering, its the most broad background you can have in engineering (from rocket scientist to broom closet manager).

I'm in the medical device field. Do a lot of new product development, quality control, and process improvements.

I also have a girlfriend who is willing to move with me but it would be rough for us to both drop it and move so it would be best if one of us had a job before we moved.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Rent a mailbox at the UPS store, list it as 'Apt 235' on your cover letter. Get a ooma or Google voice number local to the area.

Yes, companies recruit local first to save on interview cost and relocation.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Include a brief cover letter that says you are ready to relocate ASAP on your dime. Otherwise companies will assume you want them to cover moving costs and chances of hearing back are slim.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Welcome to the club.

I've been trying to get an interview in Texas, I can't even get a phone call.

We tend to hire a lot of out of state people at Towson, I've noticed that networking places a huge role. See if you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who works down there.

Otherwise I fear your only option may be to move without a job or safety net.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Why are you focused on Raleigh? Upstate South Carolina (Greenville, Greer, Spartanburg) has seen lots of growth and may be a better job market.
    I understand if you want to be around the research triangle but there has been a surge in engineering and manufacturing jobs in SC.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I'm not a MechE (EE/Physics guy), but my advice would be to look for labs/companies in the area and see if anyone you graduated with/worked with has an in you could use. If you're getting no interest down there, but you are up here, you may just need a bit of an inside track to get your foot in the door.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'd try 2 things if possible. Does your school have an alumni association and if so, will they put you in touch with fellow alumni in the area? Secondly, is it feasible for you to get maybe a 3-6mointh rental down there and move down for awhile to work with a head hunter and/or get the lie of the land?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom