• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Bought a complete British L1A1 parts kit as a source of spares back in '93 when I got my first L1A1. This parts kit is from a 1960 BSA built rifle. When I heard the FAL Files was working on a group buy of a new design British pattern receiver from Coonan I grabbed one for my last FAL rifle build (sadly missed out on getting my huge pile of BREN parts built so it'll have to wait until I eventually move to a 2A friendly state down the road).
    Coonan offered custom SN for an additional $35 so now I have matching upper and lower. Build went well and it head spaced perfectly. Chose a US built FHT set, gas piston, mag floor plates and Ironwood furniture set for US parts count.
    Finish is Duracoat HK Black over a zinc phosphate parkerizing to simulate the gloss black stoving the British Army used on their L1A1s.
    For accessories I had an Aussie SLR sling (I know it's not correct on a British L1A1 but I like it anyway), British L1A3 bayonet and front sight protector.
    I still have a nice old L2A2 SUIT for old school optics. The inverted post actually works well for minute of man work with my old eyes.
    The only good thing I can say for O'Malley is that he motivated me to finish this project that had been languishing for a couple decades. Glad I did it!

Attachments

• IMGP6736.JPG
      IMGP6736.JPG
      55.5 KB · Views: 542
    • IMGP6737.JPG
      IMGP6737.JPG
      56.3 KB · Views: 480
    • IMGP6735.JPG
      IMGP6735.JPG
      21.4 KB · Views: 495
    • IMGP6745.JPG
      IMGP6745.JPG
      27.5 KB · Views: 468
    • IMGP6738.JPG
      IMGP6738.JPG
      51.3 KB · Views: 448
    • IMGP6739.JPG
      IMGP6739.JPG
      41.6 KB · Views: 462
    • IMGP6742.JPG
      IMGP6742.JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 446
    • IMGP6741.JPG
      IMGP6741.JPG
      29.5 KB · Views: 443
    • IMGP6749.JPG
      IMGP6749.JPG
      41.3 KB · Views: 436
    • IMGP6748.JPG
      IMGP6748.JPG
      65 KB · Views: 455

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Very nice looking!

I did a L1A1 build a few years back. I got a Imbel receiver for mine off the last shipment of them to come into the country. So its kind of a Metric-Inch Mutt but thats fine with me. I found a wood metric style cocking handle and a wood carry handle and I am pretty happy with the look. Maybe I will try and post a picture. I have the optics for it too but I am not a big fan of the optics.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Looks alot like one a buddy helped me build.;) Very nice Mark. Any issues with the build? Heard there were a few minor issues with these Coonans. What size locking shoulder did you end up using? She's beautiful. The lines on an L1A1 are just classic.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Looks alot like one a buddy helped me build.;) Very nice Mark. Any issues with the build? Heard there were a few minor issues with these Coonans. What size locking shoulder did you end up using? She's beautiful. The lines on an L1A1 are just classic.

No issues. The early part of the Coonan run had a tiny flaw with the mag release bore that was, thankfully, undersized. I heard that a round file and 2 minutes of labor fixed that. Mine was built after the faux pas was discovered so it was corrected in-house. Locking shoulder was a .262 (figures that I had .264 and .265 on hand!). Indexed to 10:30 so I took about .002" off the breeching washer to get it to 11 o'clock. That got a good 80-100 ft/lbs of torque on the barrel. The only downside to the Coonan is that it's a casting not a forging like Imbel and DSA. Otherwise they did flawless work and it nearly put itself together. Still have a pile of SLR furniture including a cool NZ SLR buttstock and a Canadian C1 black walnut buttstock and rare rotary rear sight.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Glad it screwed together easily for you. All my receivers are forged, both DSA and Imbel, so I'm a bit of a snob. But, I haven't heard anything bad about Coonan's cast receivers. Many are absolutely committed to them. Their quality is obvious to the eye. I love your old style wood carry handle, they look so much better than the later green plastic ones. Hold onto your parts, they're like money in the bank. Let us know how it shoots.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Beautiful. I had an SAR-48 (not a classic, I know) that I sold a few years ago when I needed cash. Kicking myself. Hard.

That right there is a real battle rifle.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Glad it screwed together easily for you. All my receivers are forged, both DSA and Imbel, so I'm a bit of a snob. But, I haven't heard anything bad about Coonan's cast receivers. Many are absolutely committed to them. Their quality is obvious to the eye. I love your old style wood carry handle, they look so much better than the later green plastic ones. Hold onto your parts, they're like money in the bank. Let us know how it shoots.

Glad that I picked up the early wood carry handle years ago as they've gotten uber expensive over time. Will definitely hang onto the SLR furniture. Besides, when I'm depressed and need a pick me up I go to the spares bin and pull out a SLR coachwood hand guard and breath deep. That aroma is so wonderful and unique. Wish I could bottle it and get the girlfriend to douse herself in it!

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Great looking rifle. I have always wondered if the thin looking barrels on them are CHF, and if they heat up quickly after 5-10 shots? Obviously, I have never shot one :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom