• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Bottom line, to me, a person that makes every effort, no matter his method, to dispatch a deer that has been wounded, be it shot, hit by a car or hung in a barbed wire fence is okay in my book and I'd treat him to a beer anytime.. :beer:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Quick dispatch of the animal is the idea.
    Sticky, members here is not going
    to have success with their
    old rusty Sears knife sawing
    from the adam's apple to the vertebrae.
    (the hair is an issue)
    I ask JAM the knife, blade out,
    back to vertebrae - then saw out?
    GO!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    One more true story, not me, but a buddy that I grew up with and started to hunt with when we were kids was driving down the road one afternoon and watched a car in front of him strike a deer crossing the highway.. it was bad, the deer was really hit hard, but took off. He, being the consumate hunter and concerned guy, pulled over and checked on the female driver, she was fine, the car was history and she was calling her husband. She was freaked and more worried about the poor deer then herself or vehicle. He volunteered to go see if he could find it and check on it for her, assuring her that it probably would not survive the encounter with her front end. All he had in his truck (which is really odd, cause he almost always had some kind of weapon in there) was a piece of rope in the bed.. so he grabs it and heads off into the woods. Finds the deer, ropes it and ties it to a tree (it was actually a pretty nice buck for back then in the ol days). Now.. what to do??? Well he hikes up to where he had seen some houses as he stopped to help out and goes up, knocks on a door, asks the woman that lived there if she had a sharp knife he could borrow and after a rather amusing conversation, he comes back with a not so sharp butcher knife and dispatches the deer with a necktie. Cleans up and returns the knife and heads back to tell the lady that hit him that he was resting peacefully in heaven.

I've dispatched three deer that were hit by vehicles and not killed and a few that were hit by hunters and not killed, one of them mine all with a knife, didn't have or couldn't legally or didn't want to use a weapon like a bow or gun on any of them. Hope I never have to do it again, but I will in a heartbeat if the opportunity presents itself and the critter needs to be put down. It's out of respect for the animal.. yes, I eat em, they taste really good, but I do have a great respect for life. ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Quick dispatch of the animal is the idea.
    Sticky, members here is not going
    to have success with their
    old rusty Sears knife sawing
    from the adam's apple to the vertebrae.
    (the hair is an issue)
    I ask JAM the knife, blade out,
    back to vertebrae - then saw out?
    GO!
    Good point.. I know my buddy probably struggled that day with a dull knife, but... I always carry a sharp knife on my belt when I hunt. It's a fixed blade, perhaps 4-5" long, perfect for field dressing chores and about 20yrs old. I keep it sharp because I cut a lot of deer in a season and hate a dull knife. I prefer with that, to slice from below the neck, starting slightly above the midway point on the opposite side of the neck, going quickly to the bone and carrying the cut all the way through the windpipe and around the other side to get both carotids and the windpipe. This is a sure, quick kill if it is a sharp knife and you do it like you mean it, but...

With a less than sharp knife, you may not even cut through the hair and hide, so your method is a good one. The key to that is where do you aim your initial 'thrust' on the neck of the critter and which way do you cut to ensure that you get through at least the carotid on one side of the neck???

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    no no no you made a questionable shot and had to deal with it! if i screw up its because i screwed up, not because i made a vertical or hard quarter shot, i just plain F'ed up. never said i havent screwed up! You aren't starving to death so dont make the shot unless the odds are on your side.

Agreed I don't make shots that I don't believe I can make, and I wouldn't call twenty feet up and ten yards aka 30 feet out vertical in fact it's less then 45 degrees and for whatever reason my arrow hit higher than I aimed and I had to do what the next most ethical thing I could an picked the route of cutting the throat. I just want all you dead eyes to know that it's possible to miss and to have some understanding for people who hit somewhere other than where they aiming wether human error, misjudge distance... environment, twig wind ... or a deer that ducks out steped forward ... Very well could have been my fault completely I just don't believe it was an unethical shot.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I don't know, that is why I stab them in the heart :area:
    and wiggle the blade around alot.
    If my blade is not razor sharp,
    I'm not cutting through the neck fur quickly.

Shooting again from afar means you damage meat.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I don't know, that is why I stab them in the heart :area:
    and wiggle the blade around alot.
    If my blade is not razor sharp,
    I'm not cutting through the neck fur quickly.

Shooting again from afar means you damage meat.
    If I were to do it at the neck with a dull or less than sharp knife, I would probably try to stick it about the adams apple and try to work the knife into the spinal area on one side or the other of the neck spine. Then cut upward and outward to catch the carotid.

You can see from this pic where it runs, it is just on either side of the windpipe along the side/underside of the neck on either side. It is only a couple inches below the hide, so a short bladed knife will work (I carry a sharp 3" pocket knife at all times (except when flying.. lmao) and it is enough to get the job done quickly and easily). I know some like to carry a Rambo knife around, but for me a short bladed knife makes field dressing quick and easy, so my blade is less than 6" on my hunting knife, probably about 4-5". Not sure if I could effectively reach the heart if I didn't put it in at the right spot. I know where that is, but do others??

drawart.jpg

url

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Personally, I was taught to insert your knife slightly off center just above the collarbone with the flat edge against the windpipe (trachea) and forcefully insert inwards and slightly down behind the collarbone. Then with a forceful motion pivot the blade outward severing the carotid artery.

There are numerous ways, but this is how I learned.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Originally Posted by marko View Post
    but I like the whole knifing idea ..
    kinda touchy feely...

Sorry. This just doesn't excite me, nor impress me.
    I don't mean to insult, but, that sort of stuff just doesn't impress me.

Me neither, it's the way we roll.
    I gut, and butcher all the deer we shoot.
    To order.
    You want an omelet? Gotta break some eggs.
    My friends ( and you squeamish ones) like my
    gut 'em and forget 'em attitude.
    Then it's skin 'em and butcher 'em.

A favorite is the sausage making.
    The King of all Venison Sausage recipes.

Of course, I created Venison Loin Chops -

Be sure to stab ABOVE the loin area in the ribcage, don't damage meat.

This picture shows grilled venison rib -
    meat has been sliced from the bone section, like a standing rib roast.
    I butcher our deer to have chop sections like this.
    Nice.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Personally, I was taught to insert your knife slightly off center just above the collarbone with the flat edge against the windpipe (trachea) and forcefully insert inwards and slightly down behind the collarbone. Then with a forceful motion pivot the blade outward severing the carotid artery.

There are numerous ways, but this is how I learned.
    I like that method, seems simple enough.. here is another pic to show the relationship of bone to circ system to clarify that...

deer-anatomy.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If its doe or button buck its just easier to stick the knife in the temple...I did dispatch a doe with the neck tie method but it wasn't pretty and with that I had to drag her quite a ways...not because of a bad shot on my part it was a equipment failure of an expandable broadhead...

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    If the animal is still so strong that you can't approach him without putting your life in danger, then a knife wouldn't do much good either would it? Then this thread would be pointless (pun intended). I guess one could possibly lash a knife (or an arrow) to a stout stick and spear it! Hell, Twanger bashed one with a rock! The whole idea is to try to dispatch quickly any way possible....not sit and watch it suffer.

Interesting that they ended up knifing the buck instead of shooting it with son's bow....despite its 170lb size and fearing for their lives. My heroes.

I don't know if your low-post count indicates you're a troll, or that you're confining yourself to snide comments; either way, I'll try to clarify my response. :cool:

I'm not supporting their actions as just or moral (or that you have to be friends with them): I am stating that unless you knew the whole situation, it's rude to use hindsight to bash someone else. Your Monday-morning quarterbacking does little to instruct others on how they should handle a similar situation, nor does it reasonably account for the actions they took to preserve their own lives and safety. The location of a spinal injury affects how much an animal is incapacitated; one animal would be fine to approach and another would be dangerous. As time passes, an animal may become less dangerous due to loss of blood/etc, in which case using a knife would make more sense than another arrow. You weren't there, so stop pretending it's a one-size-fits-all situation.

I don't know many deer-hunters who go without a decent hunting knife. Any decent knife would be infinitely better than your ridiculous suggestion to stab/slice it to death with an arrow by hand; worse-case scenario, he could make a rudimentary spear like you mentioned.

It's right and just to act responsible in relation to ending unnecessary animal suffering (that was caused by a missed shot), but endangering yourself while potentially causing more suffering is just stupid. If all his arrows were broken, I wouldn't be surprised if you told him he was moral scum for not using his teeth to rip out it's jugular. :rolleyes:

As a MD CCHP I've shot 2 deer in the past 20 years when happening upon accidents. Then called police who then called the local butcher to serve to homeless.

You have my respect - infinitely better to donate and use the meat to feed the hungry, rather than let it rot on the side of the road/incinerated as bio-hazard waste.

My comment was in reference to the overwhelming liberal/city-dweller population who show a complete disregard for personal responsibility - in this case, as it extends to caring for (taking care of) an animal they "killed". Depending on your locale in MD, it may or may not be legal to shoot a deer that you have hit with a vehicle.

I spine shot a doe with a crossbow two years ago. The shot paralyzed the rear legs. I straddled the animal, lifted her head, and cut the throat and carotid.

True story . . . note that beer was involved.

About 20 years ago, my neighbors and I raised turkeys and took them to PA for slaughter. We'd pick them up the next day after spending the night in one neighbor's hunting cabin. We were driving back to the cabin and a large car (Cadillac or Lincoln) stuck a buck, which became wedged under the chassis.

The older woman driver could not get the car off the buck, which was still very much alive. We could not pull it out since it was thrashing its legs. So, one neighbor got his rifle. Before he could shoot, us other two suggested that shooting a .3006 at a deer under a car was not a very good idea.

He handed the rifle to my other neighbor and pulled a 5 or 8 pound mallet out from the truck bed. He proceeded to strike at the deer until it was dead. Covered with blood, he stood there while us other two yanked it out.

A police officer arrived. He asked the woman if she was alright. He looked at a battered deer, a guy holding a rifle, and another guy covered in blood holding a mallet. He said that he didn't need to get involved and drove off.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I don't know if your low-post count indicates you're a troll, or that you're confining yourself to snide comments; either way, I'll try to clarify my response. :cool:

I'm not supporting their actions as just or moral (or that you have to be friends with them): I am stating that unless you knew the whole situation, it's rude to use hindsight to bash someone else. Your Monday-morning quarterbacking does little to instruct others on how they should handle a similar situation, nor does it reasonably account for the actions they took to preserve their own lives and safety. The location of a spinal injury affects how much an animal is incapacitated; one animal would be fine to approach and another would be dangerous. As time passes, an animal may become less dangerous due to loss of blood/etc, in which case using a knife would make more sense than another arrow. You weren't there, so stop pretending it's a one-size-fits-all situation.

I don't know many deer-hunters who go without a decent hunting knife. Any decent knife would be infinitely better than your ridiculous suggestion to stab/slice it to death with an arrow by hand; worse-case scenario, he could make a rudimentary spear like you mentioned.

It's right and just to act responsible in relation to ending unnecessary animal suffering (that was caused by a missed shot), but endangering yourself while potentially causing more suffering is just stupid. If all his arrows were broken, I wouldn't be surprised if you told him he was moral scum for not using his teeth to rip out it's jugular. :rolleyes:.
    I guess your extremely high post count entitles you to insinuate I am a troll. Did you happen to consider Yingpin's post count?? I can assure you I'm no troll. I am confident there are senior members of this forum who would vouch for me. If you took the time to read my FEW other posts, you might see that I generally try to be polite/helpful/complimentary. How hypocritical and rude of you not to consider that.

Also hypocritical and rude of you to call my suggestions ridiculous and stupid. Even if so, they are infinitely better ideas than watching a deer suffer for an hour, doing NOTHING about it (mostly due to poor preparation), and going on the internet to tell about it.

I believe hunters have an obligation to police ourselves and our own ranks to denounce unethical behavior. We are often in situations where our actions go unnoticed. If we don't hold ourselves accountable, who will? To me, this is probably the thing that makes the endeavor MOST difficult....and rewarding. It's much more than whacking Bambis, as some might lead you to believe.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    If you took the time to read my FEW other posts, you might see that I generally try to be polite/helpful/complimentary. How hypocritical and rude of you not to consider that.

Most people realize that their first impression is a lasting one; if you're generally helpful/polite, it seems a shame that you would act contrary to that positive disposition. It's quite a leap to somehow make it my responsibility to recognize your actions as being outside of the norm. You had no problem demonizing Yingpin for a singular action, but for some reason I'm supposed to believe you're an upstanding person when the one time we talk you act like an ass. If you aren't an ass, it's not my fault you came off as one. ;)

6Den said:
    Also hypocritical and rude of you to call my suggestions ridiculous and stupid.

One of your suggestions (stabbing a wounded deer to death with an arrow by hand), was in my opinion, ridiculous and stupid. It's a stupid idea because it puts the hunter in unnecessary danger, can cause MORE suffering to the animal, and simply isn't as effective as virtually any other method. My opinion of your suggestion is simply that - an opinion; if you don't agree, feel free to ignore my opinion. That said, my comment was no more rude (and frankly far less sanctimonious) than your comments to Yingpin; this doesn't excuse my behavior, so I apologize if my opinion upset you. Yet in no way was my opinion hypocritical: you bashed Yingpin for 'immoral behavior', while I pointed out that your suggestion (while morally commendable) was technically flawed. I agreed with your sentiment, if not your execution.

6Den said:
    Even if so, they are infinitely better ideas than watching a deer suffer for an hour, doing NOTHING about it (mostly due to poor preparation), and going on the internet to tell about it.

I thought your idea about crafting a make-shift spear was a good one - it allows for more force to be directed to the point of impact due to a better grip, and kept the hunter out of range of being gored. As you said earlier in the thread:
    6Den said:
    Just do it quickly and safely[emphasis added - mine]

I also dislike the idea of the deer being forced to waste away in pain due to the Yingpin's father's lack of preparation, but that doesn't mean I'm going to assume I know the exact situation as it occurred. And I may be mistaken, but Yingpin was relating an event that happened (in which he/his father arguably screwed up); I don't remember him bragging about it. Go ahead and reread his post: seems to me that his dad didn't know what to do - it was his first time getting a buck with a bow and this crap happened. Then the father had to step on the antlers to hold it down while Yingpin cut its throat, which points towards a pretty lively -spined- buck. Yingpin acknowledges that it was a sad occurrence (who likes to watch animals suffer needlessly?) but that they had the responsibility to take care of it.

6Den said:
    I believe hunters have an obligation to police ourselves and our own ranks to denounce unethical behavior.

Well said - it's our responsibility to ensure standards of ethical treatment by discouraging negative/unethical behaviors. What happened with Yingpin is exactly the reason that hunters should be prepared and be proactive in preventing unnecessary suffering. That said, they weren't intentionally trying to maim the deer, they just weren't able to come up with a solution as fast as you would have liked. Get over it.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I like it when it's 6am and the woods are nice and quiet and dark. Just the sounds of birds and squirrels waking up. The sun is gently coming up behind me. Then off in the distance I hear BOOOOMMM followed by semi-aimed BOOOOMMM BOOOMMM BOOOMMM!!!!!!

With the first boom I'm wishing someone good luck in finding the deer. With the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th boom I'm cussing them for taking running shots at the deer they clearly missed with the first shot.

You don't always shoot at the deer you see.

But when you do, shoot to kill.

Stay ethical my friends.

In certain instances....you can plot an intercept course towards the running buck, by the sound of missing gunfire by numerous hunters, while the deer runs down the mountain.

Shooting at broadside or quartering running deer is an art in itself. To qualify for a hunting license in Sweden, you'll have to qualify for hunting moose by hitting a simulated running moose target. In open country...a swinging gun lead is preferred. While in hunting deer in timbered country...I prefer spot shooting the running deer, by computing the direction and angle of trajectory of the target in my mind --- aim the rifle between two trees --- and take the shot as soon as you see the deer appear between the two trees; along with a substantial lead.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I like it when it's 6am and the woods are nice and quiet and dark. Just the sounds of birds and squirrels waking up. The sun is gently coming up behind me. Then off in the distance I hear BOOOOMMM followed by semi-aimed BOOOOMMM BOOOMMM BOOOMMM!!!!!!

With the first boom I'm wishing someone good luck in finding the deer. With the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th boom I'm cussing them for taking running shots at the deer they clearly missed with the first shot.

You don't always shoot at the deer you see.

But when you do, shoot to kill.

Stay ethical my friends.

ROFLMAO ! Now you do know. My farm is opposite the highway of Myrtle Groves property and man let me tell you. Several years had gone by and the same instance would happen. I would be setting in the stand and right about whatever time it would be you'd hear someone shoot 1-2 times at the bottom of the hill and by the time the Deer made it to the bottom of the hill there would have been 7-8 shots pulled off on him. I just imagined that SOB being burger by the time he made it to the bottom. This is yet another reason why i would never hunt public lands. Too many "Deer Shooters" They hunt two Saturdays out the whole year and by god they will shoot at anything that moves.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    ROFLMAO ! Now you do know. My farm is opposite the highway of Myrtle Groves property and man let me tell you. Several years had gone by and the same instance would happen. I would be setting in the stand and right about whatever time it would be you'd hear someone shoot 1-2 times at the bottom of the hill and by the time the Deer made it to the bottom of the hill there would have been 7-8 shots pulled off on him. I just imagined that SOB being burger by the time he made it to the bottom. This is yet another reason why i would never hunt public lands. Too many "Deer Shooters" They hunt two Saturdays out the whole year and by god they will shoot at anything that moves.

That's scary...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    That's scary...

I do appreciate them spending the money for the license to help us out ( for two weeks ). Even though they only walk in the woods 2-3 times a year in that 2 week period. Them guys scare the hell out of me. Especially the ones who come down from the big city and you can hear them shooting off with a rifle.

I know the difference between a Rifle, Muzzleloader, and Shotgun and brother that weren't no Muzzleloader or Shotgun and it damned sure weren't no Bow. LOL

They do however dress in full out camo though and look the part, but, after that 2 weeks, you NEVER see those trucks again on the side of 225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom