the 2nd i straddled (it was moving) then thrust
    the knife into the heart.
    Gerber 4" drop edge 30 yrs. old.

The first kinda gave out in 15 secs.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I refuse to do it with a knife, Ive only had to shoot a deer twice one time and I took out the lungs and heart in one shot and the deer died in less then 10 seconds.

EDIT: Just let me say if thats all I had and it would mean the animal less suffering I would use a knife but I would prefer not to.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    One thing I noticed was different between living in the West and in MD. In the West, if someone hits a deer/antelope with their car, the right thing to do is to put it out of its suffering. In MD, they either call the cops to do it for them, or they drive off and complain about the "deer problem" to their mechanic (mostly the latter).

If this happened to me, I would personally shoot it twice; the only real reason I see towards using a knife is if you want to save the hide for leather/mounting.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    One thing I noticed was different between living in the West and in MD. In the West, if someone hits a deer/antelope with their car, the right thing to do is to put it out of its suffering. In MD, they either call the cops to do it for them, or they drive off and complain about the "deer problem" to their mechanic (mostly the latter).

If this happened to me, I would personally shoot it twice; the only real reason I see towards using a knife is if you want to save the hide for leather/mounting.

If you get out and shoot a deer on the side of the road in Maryland your likely getting criminal charges. Out west its nothing like MD lol

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Well, if your shot is not an instant kill,

You have to kill the deer.

Spined?
    Lung shot?

I spined 2 deer,

There was a thread here a while ago about the best way to dispatch a wounded or car hit deer. Slice to the side of the neck I think was the quickest way to do it.

Last month when I was on R/R there was a good sized buck hit on the side of the road. I pulled over and sliced both sides of the neck and it gave out pretty quick. WAY quicker then the time I just cut the throat on a car hit deer.

If I am hunting, I will put another shot into it. A few years ago thoguh, I spined one and it dropped in it's tracks. I nocked another arrow and in the process dropped my quiver out of the stand. It lodged in a branch to far for me to reach it. Shot my 2nd arrow and missed. Got out of the stand and the damn quiver was too high for me to reach. So I had to use the knife.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    One night, approx. 15 years ago, I was driving behind someone who hit a buck. It was bleeding and suffering, so I grabed his antler, and shot him just under his ear with my Glock 26. He twiched for a second or two, but died right away.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Wow. 35 years of Deer hunting and I have never had a Deer that needed a second shot. If you have a Deer that has not expired on the first shot, put a second shot right in the vitals and I bet you can't count to 3 before that Deer is done.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD

We had a dump truck driver hit a deer at our facility. The back half was shredded. We stood there and watched it for a min but the deer wasn't showing signs of going out. Our mechanic went to his truck and pulled out his 20lb sledge and you can guess the rest. Put it in a loader bucket and dumped it back by the pond. The bald eagles were fed well that day.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Knife or second shot, doesn't matter to me but get it done. I haven't hunted in several years, but when I was a kid we always went with a pistol with us specifically for this purpose. We never mounted any of our kills, so a shot to the head instantly out them out.

Maryland has different rules for handguns, obviously, so I would probably knife it. However I would be more inclined to cut the jugular to facilitate bleed out. It's no more immoral than cutting the heart because the animal dies from asphyxiation in both cases, but bleeding out renders better meat.

My.02.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Well, if your shot is not an instant kill,

You have to kill the deer.

Spined?
    Lung shot?

I spined 2 deer,

but I like the whole knifing idea ..
    kinda touchy feely...

Sorry. This just doesn't excite me, nor impress me.
    I don't mean to insult, but, that sort of stuff just doesn't impress me.

About 15 years ago, as I was driving to work, I noticed several cars in the median, near the Brandywine Road/Branch Ave. intersection.

There was a 'car struck' deer laying in the median and a bunch of people were standing around.

I stopped and grabbed a flashlight (it was early a.m.) and walked over to see if someone was hurt.
    The deer was clearly wounded pretty badly.
    Some dip_ _it was going to get a pipe wrench, so that he could 'finish off' the deer.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!

I walked behind the deer, kneeled down and put my knee on it's neck and using my Leatherman Tool, I reached down and slit it's throat.
    It was 'gone' in less than 5 seconds, without bashing it's head in.

Sorry. These so-called "Rambo" types _ _ _ _ me off.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Ive have to knife 2 deer that were hit and another one I hit while I was on the way to the range so I just shot it. It pisses me off when people hit deer and just leave them suffering.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If you place your first shot correctly there should be no need for a second shot.

I see a lot o hunters going out buying their new hunting rig the week before the season opens. If that's your plan you should either stay home or use last years gear. I shoot my shotgun throughout the year to stay proficient with it. My bow gets a weekly workout during the summer months if I plan to bow hunt that season.

Take only high percentage shots. I have let more deer walk away without a shot being taken then I have shot at becuse the shot wasn't perfect.

And yes I have taken the bad shot and missed more then once. If I do hit on a bad shot I will not approach a wounded animal instead I take the second shot to keep the animal from needlessly suffering.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Now Now

Ive have to knife 2 deer that were hit and another one I hit while I was on the way to the range so I just shot it. It pisses me off when people hit deer and just leave them suffering.

Some folks don't have the ability to take care of the issue. My mother hit one, called me crying about it, asking me what to do. No one was around (Va country side) so I told her to call the police and let them know and go to work. I don't see my 68 year old mom beating it with a tire iron.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    blade to the heart is pritty quik. most people think they are hitting the heart but completly missing. If they don't give a jolt and stretch their legs out when you sink the blade,you didn't get it good. needs a good twist too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom