• MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So in order to keep some bureaucrats happy were going to make our soldiers use an inferior product that could be a life or death matter. Hmm....

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    “This just follows a long line of the Army, and military in general, not listening to the troops about equipment and weaponry,”

Militay.com asked TACOM officials if the Army had discovered any problems with PMAGs that would warrant the ban on their use. TACOM officials would not answer the question and instead passed it off to Program Executive Office Soldier on Thursday evening before the four-day Memorial Day weekend.

Sums it up...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So in order to keep some bureaucrats happy were going to make our soldiers use an inferior product that could be a life or death matter. Hmm....

Sounds like someone is about to line their pockets with a magazine contract.

This x100000

Either a Mag Supplier got bent and called someone "High Up". Or someones pocket is being lined.

For all we know some crap mags (Not Magpul) were being used and the Army decided to make a "Blanket Ruling" and it effected even good mags like PMAGS.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i should send a case of them to my friend in AFG for shits and giggles. i'd hate to see something bad happen because of a faulty mag...

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    For all we know some crap mags (Not Magpul) were being used and the Army decided to make a "Blanket Ruling" and it effected even good mags like PMAGS.

:thumbsup:

And it was probably just 15th hand information the deciscion was made on.

I'm sure the circumstances of an isolated event got wilder with every telling.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    My guess is that the ARMY spent time and money designing a new follower, have contracts to buy several million dollars worth of the standard mags at an inexpensive price, and yet the units are all spending their budgets on PMAGs that cost 2-3 times as much. I'm sure Aberdeen will get involved in this at some point. I'm a big fan of giving the boots on the ground what they want even if the mags are more expensive, hell the ARMY has tolerated getting raped by Colt for years on the M4, what's a few extra dollars per mag?

I like the PMAGs a lot however they are royal PITA to fit double stacked into issued pouches.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I was at the JSOH at Andrews Joint Base last weekend. I spent about an hour in the SOCOM hangar talking to soldiers and Marines in SF, Ranger, MARSOC, SEALs, etc. units. I saw tons of gear loadouts sitting around. Saw a war belt next to a 1911 built on a Colt 1911A1 frame (I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about, rebuilt with SA slide, Pachmayr grips, etc.) and it had about 7 or 8 mag pouches with Wilson Combat 47 mags. Anyone who tells me the original GI mags are even CLOSE to as good as these mags deserves to be slapped.

I saw TONS AND TONS of PMAGs. I'm sure there was a GI mag here or there but I was happy to see they had good mags. Safarliand ALS holsters (my favorite) were also popular.

I understand these are SOCOM guys so they can use what they want (if they can get it), but I knew and understood everything they had, asked a LOT of questions. Even in those units they have trouble getting good gear. I talked to a marine who had a lot of criticism for the KAC M110/SR25 suppressors (they don't fit tightly on the mounts and obviously that's a problem). Talked to a Green Beret Weapons Sgt. who had his Colt M4 with a Mk18 upper and KAC NT4 mount, I asked how he liked the QDSS can... he said they're worth their weight in gold these days and almost no one has them and they can't get more.

I dunno... the PMAG is one of the best things that happened to the AR-15 platform in recent magazine. I know from personal experience and anecdotal experience from nearly EVERYONE that using PMAGs virtually eliminates feeding issues. In a semi-automatic (and especially an automatic) rifle, having a reliable feeding device is extremely important. Add some projectiles coming back your way and that importance increases at least tenfold.

Hope this gets sorted out... I'm prepping to go to the range today and a dozen PMAGs are going into the range bag. It'll be a shame if our guys can't use these... :sad20:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Looks like a typical Pubic announcement.

Magpul got caught red handed (what happens when banned in military contracting) or they messed someone over along the way.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    It turns out pmags were so reliable that our troops were losing their ability to quickly resolve feeding problems under pressure. This is the obvious solution to the problem.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    hell the ARMY has tolerated getting raped by Colt for years on the M4, what's a few extra dollars per mag?

How so? Just curious, I never heard about it but I'd like to.

Maybe Colt and other GI Contract mag makers are complaining because they tooled up to make a bunch of mags and their demand has dropped.

In my experience, GI mags (with MagPul followers lol) have been awesome. GI mags with the black or green followers were sometimes problematic.

I've never run my mags over with a truck or dropped/thrown them around, but knowing what I know about aluminum and its properties, if the feed lips land on a hard surface they can get bent and ruin everything, Add to that their behavior when crushed/stepped on, and the crappy old follower designs, and you have a recipe for disaster IMO.

Every single GI mag I have has a MagPul follower inside. I have ones made by FN, Colt, Brownells, probably DoubleStar and a couple el cheapo ones I picked up with no floorplate markings back in the day but they still work for me. That being said if the world ended I'd only bring the PMAGs.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    You can google it, Colt had been charging the DoD nearly twice as much for the M4 as FN was for the M16. Congress wanted it to go to open competition... Yadda yadda...

I agree the MAGPUL followers make a big difference in the standard mags.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    My friend is a marine and recently came back from Afghanistan. I was checking out his gear and he had all pmags. Said they leave the gi ones behind.
    But this is really no different than black hawk down when the army requested armored hummers and the Clinton admin denied it.
    Stupid government

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    the ARMY has tolerated getting raped by Colt for years on the M4, what's a few extra dollars per mag?

Not sure that Colt is at fault here. Wasn't Colt given the exclusive contract for supplying M4's as part of the resolution for the screw-up that the DOD/Army did in sending out the Colt M4 technical package to all the competitors for the contract?

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom