• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    We snapped a pic of an interesting one on the property. Would be a cool mount.

Attachments

• 8F2C8706-2783-46F6-9743-E18FED277423.jpg
      8F2C8706-2783-46F6-9743-E18FED277423.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 175

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    This red fox doesn't seem to walk anywhere. Anytime I'm out he's running from place to place. Seems he surprised this spike on his way through.

Attachments

• 1709.jpg
      1709.jpg
      118.3 KB · Views: 148

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Anyone getting any daytime pics? All of my spots are damn near 100% nocturnal now, even the ones that don't get hunting pressure. Kinda bumming me out. I have one daytime pic of a lonely button buck behind my house in the last three weeks or so.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Anyone getting any daytime pics? All of my spots are damn near 100% nocturnal now, even the ones that don't get hunting pressure. Kinda bumming me out. I have one daytime pic of a lonely button buck behind my house in the last three weeks or so.

I"m getting all the bucks at night and the does in the evening plus night. Not sure i'm a good measuring stick cause my feeder is out in the open along a thin tree line at a creek. I don't own any thick woods. This is how it was before the rut.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Only daytime pic I got in the last two weeks was of the 8 point the moment I shot it. He was right in front of the cam. The pic was blurry so I dumped it.

Deer should have been moving late morning. I had two does feed in and bed at 40yds at 10:45 am. today. No bucks as of yet.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Everything i have is all night time. Had some does come in during the evening but everything else is a ghost. Have some nice pics of bucks i would like to meat during daylight...

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Hunted Dorchester on 2 farms all week and not very many sightings. I viewed over 1000 game cam pics today from my brothers camera and not surprised there were only 2 WT on it. The rest were sika. Plus I found a few more skeletons on farm #1. I'm sure EHD did a toll. But we still have these

Attachments

• PICT0612.jpg
      PICT0612.jpg
      180.6 KB · Views: 118

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With this moon, you'll be lucky to see any deer during legal hunting hours this weekend. Maybe really early morning hours when they'll be going back to their beds. But you could be me, at home with a LONG list of honey-dos.

Good luck to all.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not sure if it does or not. Maybe someone would answer that.

I could not find a direct answer, but it does effect whitetail, mule deer and elk(aside from many different forms of livestock). I coudn't find anything on sika deer. Maybe, it not being indigenous to this continent, sika are not as 'at risk' to the disease. Any of you easterners find any evidence of ill sika?

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With this moon, you'll be lucky to see any deer during legal hunting hours this weekend. Maybe really early morning hours when they'll be going back to their beds. But you could be me, at home with a LONG list of honey-dos.

Good luck to all.

Watch the moon. When it is directly overhead or directly underfoot(some 12 1/2 hours apart), peak deer movement occurs. It was underfoot yesterday at approx. 10 am yesterday. I had deer moving and feeding by 10:30.

I bought one of these this year(out of curiosity) to see if it was simply a lunar cycle tool. It was and it has been very accurate thus far. You don't need to spend close to $30 for one of these gizmos. I'll save you the expense. You can get the same info from a site like this: http://www.moongiant.com/phase/11/18/2017

Attachments

• FrontMoonGuide-1.jpg
      FrontMoonGuide-1.jpg
      135.8 KB · Views: 174

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    It’s been a rough season down here so far. I’ve hunted three days so far and haven’t seen a single deer. Of course the week before shotgun season started there were bucks galore in the daytime on my camera. Sure seems like they know when the season starts...

I usually have a few sightings early in the season but it tapers off in the middle and the end. I can’t recall a season starting off this slow.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I could not find a direct answer, but it does effect whitetail, mule deer and elk(aside from many different forms of livestock). I coudn't find anything on sika deer. Maybe, it not being indigenous to this continent, sika are not as 'at risk' to the disease. Any of you easterners find any evidence of ill sika?

Im not entirely sure if Sika were affected. Wt deer were found at my buddies place and the surrounding area dead in area that is primarily more abundant with Sika. Plenty still running around and Stags carrying on bugling this morning and evening.
    If some died out there probably back in the phragmites somewhere in a way that nobody found them.
    The buzzards wouldn't even touch a lot of Whitetail carcasses.
    They turned into a weird chalky mess.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I"m getting all the bucks at night and the does in the evening plus night. Not sure i'm a good measuring stick cause my feeder is out in the open along a thin tree line at a creek. I don't own any thick woods. This is how it was before the rut.

Only daytime pic I got in the last two weeks was of the 8 point the moment I shot it. He was right in front of the cam. The pic was blurry so I dumped it.

Deer should have been moving late morning. I had two does feed in and bed at 40yds at 10:45 am. today. No bucks as of yet.

Everything i have is all night time. Had some does come in during the evening but everything else is a ghost. Have some nice pics of bucks i would like to meat during daylight...

strange its been the same in the Idaho as well..many people have said there arent too many around or they havent seen many but I think they all have gone nocturnal. Weather has been warm cold warm cold so thats messed them up as well. Not to rule out hunting pressure.

I havent found any dead ones, so i dont think its disease. The doe I shot was healthy and fat.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    These are pics from earlier this year, I've not seen the buck with the antler growing sideways off camera, injured early in the growth period maybe? The bigger bucks all disappeared when the beans went yellow.

Attachments

• PICT1549.jpg
      PICT1549.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 128
    • PICT1546.jpg
      PICT1546.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 132
    • PICT1480.jpg
      PICT1480.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 135

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, this is my first year with my own stand which is down the hill at my home. Previously, I have been Public land hunting so I have had zero experience with the habits of dear throughout the season.

My son and I have both taken 1 doe each. Last taken was Saturday night.

So, earlier this week I had noticed a large group behind the neighbors. Last night there were 8 herded up and at my feeder 5:00PM. All does and a few fawns. No Bucks. I waited about 10 minutes to see if a buck was following but it got dark by the time they left.

Is this typical that they herd up after the rut?

Another Question, how long do the acorns last in the fall for them to eat? I'm wondering if my corn will become more desirable to them now. the quantity and time of my corn is 3PM to dump out and there is nothing left by morning. With 8 feeding, they pretty much took it all.
    I find it rare that I can hunt in the mornings so I have the timing for evening.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    so, this is my first year with my own stand which is down the hill at my home. Previously, I have been Public land hunting so I have had zero experience with the habits of dear throughout the season.

My son and I have both taken 1 doe each. Last taken was Saturday night.

So, earlier this week I had noticed a large group behind the neighbors. Last night there were 8 herded up and at my feeder 5:00PM. All does and a few fawns. No Bucks. I waited about 10 minutes to see if a buck was following but it got dark by the time they left.

Is this typical that they herd up after the rut?

Another Question, how long do the acorns last in the fall for them to eat? I'm wondering if my corn will become more desirable to them now. the quantity and time of my corn is 3PM to dump out and there is nothing left by morning. With 8 feeding, they pretty much took it all.
    I find it rare that I can hunt in the mornings so I have the timing for evening.

Typical that does herd up after the rut? Yes. Later in the year, in many cases, they do what is called "yard up". They will actually migrate to areas that traditionally hold plenty of winter browse along with warmth(south facing slopes) and cover from the elements. Come springtime, they will disperse back to they're home ranges. Bucks will do this too.

Depends on the type of acorns. Some drop gradually throughout the fall(reds and pins) and others drop almost all at once(whites). They've pretty much all dropped by winter.

With the onset of a cold front, deer will seek out high-carb foods to keep them warm such as corn and soybeans. Radishes and beets make a great late food plot(but plant at the end of summer). Once the first freeze hits, the green tops along with the bulbs convert into sugar. Deer will maul these in cold weather. On warmer days, they will prefer wheat, alfalfa, and hay, typically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom