• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    AR15 for hunting deer?

Not looking to purchase right now. I just need some information to pass along for a future bday gift. My family and I would like to get my dad an upper for his preban lower suitable for hunting. We will be hunting in the mountains of West Virginia so I would really like a lighter profile barrel if possible. WV requires a caliber of .25 or greater. What calibers would be compatable with his 5.56 lower and would you recommend for taking white tail at 150yds max? Who makes a quality upper in recommended calibers? Would 16" or 18" barrels be ok for recommended calibers? I think we are spending just under $1 per round for our 30-06 hunting ammo. I'd like to keep the cost of ammo close to that. Reloading won't be happening so I guess a widely accepted and available caliber would be wisest. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    6.8SPC II, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39 will all work at that range.

Out to 300 yards, the 6.8 and 6.5 are about identical in speed and energy and the ammo costs about the same. The 6.8 does not gain any real advantage with barrel lengths greater than 16" while the Grendel does. If you want inexpensive ammo, then 7.62x39 is the ticket with a 150yd max (ethical, IMHO) range.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    6.8SPC II, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39 will all work at that range.

Out to 300 yards, the 6.8 and 6.5 are about identical in speed and energy and the ammo costs about the same. The 6.8 does not gain any real advantage with barrel lengths greater than 16" while the Grendel does. If you want inexpensive ammo, then 7.62x39 is the ticket with a 150yd max (ethical, IMHO) range.

To point out, if looking at ammo cost, Wolf makes 6.5 Grendel steel cased ammo at $5 a box. Which puts it on par (roughly) with steel cased 7.62x39. Grendel is about the same energy as 7.62x39, but it’s ballistic coefficient is WAY higher, so it shoots WAY flatter. Hunting and match ammo for 6.5 Grendel runs roughly $1 a round. 16” Barrel is fine for 6.5 Grendel. Longer is better, but short is fine.

I just ordered the last of my parts to build an 18” 6.5 Grendel upper for deer hunting.

PS, point of order, no, 6.8SPC starts out with slightly higher energy than 6.5 Grendel, but you are shooting a 110gr lower BC bullet at about 100-150fps higher velocities compared to 120-123gr much higher BC bullets. Close in, 6.8SPC is better, but they break even in energy at about 150yds where the Grendel pulls away and by 300yds the Grendel also has less drop. Less drift much closer in that than for Grendel.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Close in, 6.8SPC is better, but they break even in energy at about 150yds where the Grendel pulls away and by 300yds the Grendel also has less drop. Less drift much closer in that than for Grendel.

Right. But the ballistic difference is not really all that different; especially considering the OP was talking 150yd max. Either one is more than up to the task of taking a whitetail.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    For 150 yard or under shots, I would go with the 7.62 X 39, most ammo is cheaper and easy to find, except for good Deer hunting loads are harder to find and cost more. I think that 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC are better, but harder to find, but are a better choice if you reload.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Despite my lengthy postings in another thread extolling the many virtues of Grendels , the Parameters set forth here , make all that moot .

As I read the OP , WV woods hunting for deer, max 150yd , and typical under 100yd. Emphasis on common ammo availability, and price sorta within ballpark of .30-06 .

All the cals listed below will meet criteria for performance, leaving ammo availability & cost the variable.

1. 7.62x39
    2&3 6.8SPC & 6.5 Grendel ( Neither is as common as 7.62x39. When I look , I see slightly more 6.8 , but a marketing move by one major ammo mfg could change things within a month if they decided .)

4. .300 Blackout/ Whisper supersonic . ( Essentially similar to performance of 7.62x39 , but with most users loading their own , not many hunting ammo on dlr shelves.)

Wildcard factor.- I know you specified up to 150yds. BUT if you wanted to add 300yd plus capability , with no downsides for close to average distance , then 6.5Grendel.

( For all my recent advocacy of Grendel , what I own currently is a 7.62x39 upper, for similar purpose as OP describes, albeit the mtns of Va , near WV border.)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Get a 300BLK for him. I am running Hornady Black 110gr VMax ammo in it and am sub-MOA with it. You can get a 20 round box of the ammo I use for hunting at Academy for about $17 a box of 20.

The only real difference between a 556 and a 300BLK is the barrel and muzzle device. Other than that, it is a 556 BCG, charging handle, upper, gas system, handguard, and the complete lower is a standard 556 lower. You also go 1 for 1 on standard 556 mags. 30 round 556 mag will hold 30 rounds of 300BLK.

If you would like a parts list for a 300BLK upper, I'd be happy to send it to you.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    WV allows any centerfire rifle cartridge. .223 is perfectly legal.

The .25 caliber requirement is clearly stated that it's for rimfire cartridges only.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm a huge fan of deer hunting with a 6.8 SPC, Federal Fusions are great out of my rifle! The problem with 6.8 is there is no bulk / cheap plinking ammo so its really just a hunting rifle.

That said, I'd consider a 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendal so you can have the best of both worlds, especially since there is some decent hunting ammo in 7.62x39

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    May I suggest 6.8 spc

Here is my new 6.8 spc from IP TKDefenseUSA.com:
    I haven't shot at a deer yet, but sooner or later they will show up for me. Here is what this 6.8 does at the Range:

Attachments

• IMG_7020.jpg
      IMG_7020.jpg
      100.7 KB · Views: 465

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    WV allows any centerfire rifle cartridge. .223 is perfectly legal.

The .25 caliber requirement is clearly stated that it's for rimfire cartridges only.

My mistake. Thanks for the correction!

Thanks all for the info! Keep it coming! I like the idea of 6.5 and the extended range just in case. I also like the idea of 300blk with the bcg and mag being interchangeable. What brands make reliable parts or complete uppers?

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Also using 300blk for deer for the first time this year. Vortex 1-6 strike eagle bdc matches up nicely with a 100 yard zero out to 300

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Another thought. Would a heavier 223/5.56 round be ethical for deer at 150yds. 69-77gr range maybe?

Ethical would be having the ability/skill to hit an eight inch circle 150 yards away EVERY time using what ever lightweight wildcat round you can squeeze into an AR-15 chamber. Remember, you're pushing rifle bullets out of a case that only holds pistol amounts of powder. Not a good mix for ethical long range hunting applications.

If that level of accuracy can't be achieved, then use the .30-06 you have available. With a .30-06, you can miss your mark somewhat and still put a deer down. Miss your mark with a 75 to 100 grain bullet and there's a very good chance you'll simply wound the deer.

Make your max shot 75 yards and a wildcat AR round would work. Better for repeatable accuracy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom