• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    However.....they are being built in 3006 (shuff's parkerizing for one) and that version is maryland friendly...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do what one of my friends did and build a "BM-14". He had a BM59E kit built to take M14 mags. It's neither a BM59 nor an M14.

However.....they are being built in 3006 (shuff's parkerizing for one) and that version is maryland friendly...

How do you fit a .30/06 in a BM59 mag?

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    The rifle is marked XM and not marked BM59 and does not have any BM59 offensive features like the Grenade launcher etc

xm1rifle%20(1%20of%2019).jpg

xm1rifle%20(12%20of%2019).jpg

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    My LGS is reluctant to do a transfer for this. Is there any documentation confirming that this is MD legal? Or has this been submitted to the state police reviewers?

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    The gun does not need to be approved or on an approved list , The test is name and features on the gun neither are exactly BM59 .

hhs66

Mar 25, 2010
    I don't believe that statement is entirely accurate. The MSP website states "a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons." Since this rifle is built on a James River new made receiver using unaltered BM59 parts, I believe it would fall under the "completely interchangeable components" section of their rule. Not to mention the vague "cosmetically similar" rule. Just because it is marked XM1-E2, if it quacks like a duck... I was also concerned about the statement made by Atlantic in a previous post that it "should" be MD legal. Also vague. It is or it is not. True, it is not on the list of enumerated banned weapons but that is a slippery slope that most dealer may not want to navigate. Just sayin'...

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Isn't the approved/disapproved firearm list BS anyways? I have a MSP letter somewhere that says it's a guideline and not law, since you know, the police can't make up laws.

I don't see why you can't just buy it if you want it.

hhs66

Mar 25, 2010
    It's only BS if your livelihood and freedom from incarceration are not an issue. Google Sanford Abrams. His sale of a banned firearm went terribly wrong. His was an extreme case but why take the chance? I'd like to read that letter. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that the guidelines for banned weapons is based somewhere in law. You may want to check out § 5-101(r)(2) of the Public Safety Article and their copies. They could be overextending but they wear guns and a badge. Do you want to be the test case? Not me. They already banned the James River Rockola M14. Same scenario. New made receiver with new made M14 parts that will interchange with an M14/M1A. Looks black and white to me but maybe I'm misinformed. I have been led astray before. Again, just sayin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom