• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Picked it up from Freestate Wednesday.

Question for you guys: Is it typical for a New gun to be a little on the filthy side? I've only ever bought two (Ruger P95 and EAA Witness) but both were pretty clean. This one was awfully dirty in my opinion. Almost as if it had already had some range time. Pics below.

I do plan to go talk to Freestate about it but thought I'd check here and see if it's normal and I'm concerned about nothing.

-Mike

1.jpg

Princess and her sleeping bag.

2.jpg

Eh..?

3.jpg

4.jpg

Didn't realize how hard it would be to get a shot of the inside of the barrel but it was powdered up. Cleaned up easily but still..

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Well yeah, I know that...but does it look like a brand new gun that's only been fired at a factory? This is my first .45 but neither of my 9's look like that after a round or two.

Like I said, just wondering if the amount of crud is normal or if it's seen more than just factory range time.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    All depends on the ammo they used. I know that some of the PMC Bronze I use sometimes is really dirty. Wouldn't take but one or two rounds to look like it has been shot more.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Well yeah, I know that...but does it look like a brand new gun that's only been fired at a factory? This is my first .45 but neither of my 9's look like that after a round or two.

Like I said, just wondering if the amount of crud is normal or if it's seen more than just factory range time.

All my 1911's were somewhat dirty when I got them, but none were stainless so I guess I never really paid that close attention to them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Holy cripes! That's more than one or two rounds. Didn't someone here have a pending deal on one of these there and it went south?

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Looks like it's seen a little use, depending on ammo. what does the top of the barrel above the chamber look like? On a 1911, that's usually a pretty good tell.

Good question. I didn't look too closely at the top because I was trying to get that down-the-barrel shot. I'll have to check it out and get back to ya.

Danketch71

Mar 28, 2009
    THe city that bleeds
    Congrats! I am picking up mine next week. First 1911, and it looks sweet, doesn't it?

Also, did it look like that when you paid for it? Should be an issue there, unless you you didn't notice it when you bought it. Make sure you get what you paid for, not less or more. Don't be afraid to actually look at the gun you are plunking your $'s down for.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe they let the buyer shoot the gun during the waiting period and they came back not approved so they put it back in the display as"new"?

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Well I went over last night to look at the other SR they had and it was identical. Same dirt, same places. Guess they must have come from Ruger that way..

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    It may be a new firearm as not registered but it is a used one more then any factory firing I have ever seen. Even when guns came from the factory with five shots on the shipping target, they aleast cleaned up the guns. I think someone tested that gun at their range before purchase and then walked away from the deal, Freestate didn't clean it before delivering it to you. I think that's worth some range time or ammo. IMHO Chris

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Maybe they let the buyer shoot the gun during the waiting period and they came back not approved so they put it back in the display as"new"?

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Freestate dies allow this during the waiting period.

Grats, op. I bought the same gun from there earlier this year and I love mine.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom